What to do during power outage?

newbreefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday my neighborhood had a power outage at about 2am. Not sure how long it lasted but was back once I woke up so anywhere from 1-8hrs long. I do not have a tank up yet but should in a couple weeks. I would like to be prepared for the next power outage and not sure what I’d need. What tank equipment should I worry about? Is a UPS backup battery good for this? Tank will be in bedroom so not really looking to buy a generator since most outages are during the night and don’t want to wake anyone. Also thought about a couple battery powered air stones

Last edited:

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've stayed there and most/all outages are short term <12 hours, a battery backup is more than enough.
Some folks lose power for days and therefore require a generator, but this often depends on where you live. The tank itself would be fine for under 24 hours with heater and a low flow pump on battery backup. It would realistically probably be good for longer. I once left my 90 for over 60 hours with nothing.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
If you've stayed there and most/all outages are short term <12 hours, a battery backup is more than enough.
Some folks lose power for days and therefore require a generator, but this often depends on where you live. The tank itself would be fine for under 24 hours with heater and a low flow pump on battery backup. It would realistically probably be good for longer. I once left my 90 for over 60 hours with nothing.

Unless you have some crazy large UPS, battery backup will not last for more than an hour with small pump and a heater. In outage situation you only need to really support oxygen exchange - move water with small powerhead aimed at the surface and/or pump. Keeping the heater on in such scenario is not even secondary.

OP
OP
N

newbreefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in SoCal and every year there’s power outages due to fires and high winds nearby which don’t last more than 12 hours so hopefully I’ll be good with battery

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I live in SoCal and every year there’s power outages due to fires and high winds nearby which don’t last more than 12 hours so hopefully I’ll be good with battery

If you have a modern powerhead with battery backup option you can do away with large battery. Ecotech, Tunzee and others have the options to hookup failover battery. Just remember to toss and replace every 3 years.

OP
OP
N

newbreefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a modern powerhead with battery backup option you can do away with large battery. Ecotech, Tunzee and others have the options to hookup failover battery. Just remember to toss and replace every 3 years.
I have a jebao SLW-20

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aeration, a ups will do easily for a while, not too much power draw there. Just a powerhead or two aimed to surface. Do you have a secondary method to heat water, would be one to look at imo. A gas burner to heat some water for a few small packs to insert in the tank and help up the temp if more than a few hours would be one. I see you in LA so thats a plus, but you would still lose some temp in winter (nighttime especially) assuming?

OP
OP
N

newbreefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aeration, a ups will do easily for a while, not too much power draw there. Just a powerhead or two aimed to surface. Do you have a secondary method to heat water, would be one to look at imo. A gas burner to heat some water for a few small packs to insert in the tank and help up the temp if more than a few hours would be one. I see you in LA so thats a plus, but you would still lose some temp in winter (nighttime especially) assuming?
As of right now haven’t found a secondary heating method. Right now there’s nice weather in my area at 70F average. Winter does get chilly. But this is the battery I’m currently looking into. Don’t know much so I’m not sure what I can plug in and for how long CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD Intelligent LCD UPS System, 1500VA/900W, 12 Outlets, AVR, Mini-Tower, Black

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All depends on the weather and if you need a heater or not. A UPS won't run a heater or lights for any worthwhile length of time but could keep circulation for a few hours with an air pump. I ended up getting a generator to run the furnace as well since in the winter no amount of tank heaters could keep the aquariums warm if the house temp drops.

OP
OP
N

newbreefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All depends on the weather and if you need a heater or not. A UPS won't run a heater or lights for any worthwhile length of time but could keep circulation for a few hours with an air pump. I ended up getting a generator to run the furnace as well since in the winter no amount of tank heaters could keep the aquariums warm if the house temp drops.
Right now good weather at 70F average so not sure if I’ll need a heater or not(first tank so new to this)

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battery Operated Emergency Air.... I always have a few of these and extra D batteries around. It's cheap, easy and gives them oxygen.
We do have a battery back up on the computers and a generator with gasoline on the ready. Long term, I'm looking into a small solar generator specifically for the tank.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of right now haven’t found a secondary heating method. Right now there’s nice weather in my area at 70F average. Winter does get chilly. But this is the battery I’m currently looking into. Don’t know much so I’m not sure what I can plug in and for how long CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD Intelligent LCD UPS System, 1500VA/900W, 12 Outlets, AVR, Mini-Tower, Black

Literally this right here.
https://www.coleman.com/camp-kitchen/camping-stoves/bottle-top-propane-stove/SAP_2000020950.html
Small and easy to store.
About 30 bucks for the burner, and 5 or six bucks each for the cylinders. Would heat several pots of water fairly quick.
Then pour into a couple heavier duty plastic water bottles. Would by valuable time in the event of an outage. ....

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where you're located but I'm in Ventura county where we lost power four times last year up to 96 hours due to fire/high winds. The state is only getting worse as far as shutting off your power for days on end in order to not be liable for damage.

You need both a short-term and long-term plan.
I've got a 5k gene, 20 gallons of fuel, battery air pumps and highly insulated blankets to wrap the tank with to slow it cooling off.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered two large Kelly Kettles and one small one (for personal use). They're stainless steel chimney-style water boilers that can be fed with just about anything that can burn.

OP
OP
N

newbreefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where you're located but I'm in Ventura county where we lost power four times last year up to 96 hours due to fire/high winds. The state is only getting worse as far as shutting off your power for days on end in order to not be liable for damage.

You need both a short-term and long-term plan.
I've got a 5k gene, 20 gallons of fuel, battery air pumps and highly insulated blankets to wrap the tank with to slow it cooling off.
I’m in Oxnard. I was in Colorado last year and the year before so not sure how bad it was. Also don’t remember how bad they were the year before that but don’t think power was out that long for me

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back