what to do in the event of a power failure?

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a genny that can run most of the house unless all the fridges kick on simultaneously wired into my breaker panel. Has gotten me through several long term outages and somewhat frequent shorter outages (around 12 hours or less because our power company up here never trims the trees) IIRC the longest was 6 days and that was the gas stations being down as well for up to a half hour out. My shed is probably a fire hazard, but thats why I keep 6 cans filled, capped, and ready to go at all times.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^^ I remember that there was a device that you put on a fridge, external temp control, I wonder if that would help in your situation.

CamInDFW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Dallas where ice storms are pretty rare but this past year we had one. I had the presence of foresight to have purchased a relatively small battery pack which had a AC outlet on it. I was sleeping next to the tank the entire time. During periods of power(I was fortunate not to have lost it for days on end) I would wake up, rip the battery backup off of the return pump. Plug it in to charge and run the heater as hot as I could without frying everything. All you need really is heat, and flow. I also had a space heater (oil kind) in the room. The temperature in the room was hot enough to melt the ice/snow outside the house. If I live someplace where power outages last two days on end, you bet that I would spend the money on a whole house generator or battery system. But for people like myself where it's very intermittent, use your best judgment. I unfortunately know a great many in the Dallas area who lost everything and have not returned to the hobby.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone here has good advice but before you go much further I would find out what caused the short which cause the whole apartment to go out . Get with management to have it checked out . It’s just a good safety protocol . Good luck !

k2reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are in Hurricane country so we recently got a 22k standby generator.
Otherwise.... a portable generator would be next best. An inverter you can run off your car. Battery powered air pumps for short term power losses. Bottles of ice water can help cool a tank when your house loses AC.

What was cost?? I am assuming it’s a Generac. I live on the coast in South Carolina and have seriously been thinking about installing one as well!!

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was cost?? I am assuming it’s a Generac. I live on the coast in South Carolina and have seriously been thinking about installing one as well!!
Yeah, 24kw (I miss-spoke earlier) Generac. $15k with install about 2-3 weeks out. And I had quotes in the 20k range with wait times of several months. :face-with-head-bandage:
Installed a few months ago and it has already come in handy with a couple short power outages.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went a week without power after Wilma and luckily I lived in an apartment with only north facing windows so didn't get to hot but I used a few battery powered air stones and didn't lose anything.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though if you have a fuge do not let that back into your display without changing the water first

jgsolo32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Ecoflow power stations. You've invested in an expensive hobby and this will allow you to run yiur emtire system for at least 8 hrs alone. I have a River Pro in my 20 cube and a Delta on my 50 Lagoon. They are ups so i have them connected all the time. Once power goes out, the power station turns on. See pick and down to the left of pic is the Ecoflow.

Attachments

• 20220929_151900.jpg
    20220929_151900.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 19

k2reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, 24kw (I miss-spoke earlier) Generac. $15k with install about 2-3 weeks out. And I had quotes in the 20k range with wait times of several months. :face-with-head-bandage:
Installed a few months ago and it has already come in handy with a couple short power outages.
Good deal!! That’s what I was figuring. Best thing is I can install myself and have power company shut off power to switch everything over!! Majority of that cost was labor unfortunately!! Helpful!!!! Thanks

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you live in Florida...a battery backup short term and a generator. It is required in Florida for a Saltwater Aquarium.

Main things to hook up...

Pumps, Wave makers, an Air Stone and Lights If prolonged outage.

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday evening I was at home and I turned on a lamp in the hallway which caused a short electric power faillure for my whole appartment. I immediately panicked because everything fell out of my aquarium. In the end, luckily it only took 5 minutes and I was able to solve it myself. but what if the problem lasts longer? how are you prepared for this? what measures can I take to limit this damage as much as possible in case this might happen again in the future?
BRS did a video on this. Get an MP10 powerhead and the ecotech battery back up. It will last 72 hours without power. Heating and cooling is not an issues where I live.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal!! That’s what I was figuring. Best thing is I can install myself and have power company shut off power to switch everything over!! Majority of that cost was labor unfortunately!! Helpful!!!! Thanks
Ya the genny itself was less than 6k I believe. We had a lot of digging to get to the gas meter, around 50ft, under black star gravel. It was several days install plus inspections. The generator sits on a custom steel stand that is 3' tall to sit above flood level. And the cost of things like PVC have gone through the roof. We had the same company install one at our last house for $10k 2-3 years ago. :face-with-open-mouth: But the run to both utilities was only a few feet and I built the pad for it to sit on.

OP
OP
olavvk

olavvk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the moment bought 2 cheap powerheads in case, which works with a usb cable and can put it in my powerbanks and laptops. Just for short term problems, but will review all the comments and tips for sure to check for the best option.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back