What to do with an old broken tank?

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple weeks ago, my tank started leaking from the bottom seam, kicking off a lovely two weeks from hell. That's another story, but now the old tank is sitting on my back patio, taking up space.

So what do you do with the tank after it's no longer functional? Attempt to repair and sell it? Offer it up for free? Repurpose it? Hire a junk removal company?

Thus far my wife hasn't made any noise about taking care of it, but it's only a matter of time before we both get tired of seeing it there. So how do you handle tanks in this condition?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
. . . So what do you do with the tank after it's no longer functional? Attempt to repair and sell it? Offer it up for free? Repurpose it? Hire a junk removal company? . . .

What size is it? That may effect how it is repaired or repurposed.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently sold my old leaky 90 gallon on facebook for really cheap. Guy was going to use it for bearded dragon.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it to the end of your driveway, someone will take it or the garbage truck will.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A razor blade, silicone, and some masking tape and a glass tank can be easily resealed. Or use it for target practice (also easy). I may be interested if you decide you just want it gone (I'm in tacoma)

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, if the tank leaks, the structural seam between panels is compromised.

You can't simply cut out the old and replace silicone. That's like putting a bandaid on a leaky roof. You have to pull the panels apart and redo the seams. It's not an easy task.
Sell or give away the tank.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, if the tank leaks, the structural seam between panels is compromised.

You can't simply cut out the old and replace silicone. That's like putting a bandaid on a leaky roof. You have to pull the panels apart and redo the seams. It's not an easy task.
Sell or give away the tank.

True it's not good as new but I've had luck resealing glass aquariums. The new silicone will not adhere to the old silicone (which is still in between the panels) but if you sand the corners just a little it seals very well. I also use an extra large bead of silicone to be safe

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back