What to do with this half dead birdsnest?

Salty_Box_Reef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 16, 2013
Messages
493
Reaction score
124
Location
SF north Bay Area
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this (birdsnest I assume?) frag from a friend who had some issues with his tank at one point and and a majority of this colony looked to be dieing off. I have had it for a little over a month now and it's starting to color up on the top that sees the majority of the light, in which case I have my lights semi low right now. I'm wondering if I should take the lower section that's obviously dead and cut it off and attach the live part to a frag plug? Or leave it and epoxy the whole piece to a rock and leave it be?

 
I would cut off the good part....it will look nicer as it starts to grow out that way...
 
Birdnest have to have good lighting. The problem with them is the bottom part of the coral doesn't get enough light and then they start turning white at the base. Mine get really big and then the base starts turning white so i cut them and start new colonies. Even though i have strong leds and lots of flow it still happens.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new