What to include in a medical emergency kit for fish and corals?

PhilM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have recently gotten excellent support from hvetteguy53081 and jay-hemdal on a couple of sick fish issues. The fish are all doing well now. We are over 500 miles from the nearest marine vet and none of the clinics within a hundred miles treats fish at all, so I am very thankful for the online support.

As part of one of the treatments Seachem Kanaplax was recommended. When I tried to get some I found it was not sold in Canada. On several other occasions I have not been able to get recommended treatment medicines in Canada. My wife is going to the USA for training net week. I am having some Kanaplex delivered to her. This is likely a good opportunity to get a supply of basic medicines I need for upkeep of a reef tank here. What would you recommend to have on hand in a "medicine kit"? I will be particularly interested in getting a stock of of those medicines that I cannot get readily online in Canada. I have tried to find a past thread that addresses this but have either not looked in the right place or missed it. If there is such could you please lead me to it. I will be very appreciative of your recommendations on what to have on hand given my relative remoteness.

Many thanks in advance for your support; Philip

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Philip, if it were me, I would purchase Copper Power, Ruby Reef Hydroplex (10 minute saltwater dip for parasites initial treatment), Ruby Reef Rally Pro, Prazipro, Seachem Paraguard, Seachem Cupramine, Seachem Metroplex and Reef Dip for corals. I also have Kanaplex. The only one I don't have at home is Metroplex. You may not need Paraguard if you buy Metroplex or Kanaplex. Check the treatment for description. You cannot use Copper Power in your display tank but you can use Rally Pro. So it depends what you are treating and whether it is a hospital or quarantine tank vs. your display tank.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coppersafe/copperpower, paraguard, prazipro, and kanaplex. Maybe metroplex. That should cover the vast majority of diseases in this hobby.

As for coral, literally any coral dip. Maybe an iodine based dip too.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi, I have recently gotten excellent support from hvetteguy53081 and jay-hemdal on a couple of sick fish issues. The fish are all doing well now. We are over 500 miles from the nearest marine vet and none of the clinics within a hundred miles treats fish at all, so I am very thankful for the online support.

As part of one of the treatments Seachem Kanaplax was recommended. When I tried to get some I found it was not sold in Canada. On several other occasions I have not been able to get recommended treatment medicines in Canada. My wife is going to the USA for training net week. I am having some Kanaplex delivered to her. This is likely a good opportunity to get a supply of basic medicines I need for upkeep of a reef tank here. What would you recommend to have on hand in a "medicine kit"? I will be particularly interested in getting a stock of of those medicines that I cannot get readily online in Canada. I have tried to find a past thread that addresses this but have either not looked in the right place or missed it. If there is such could you please lead me to it. I will be very appreciative of your recommendations on what to have on hand given my relative remoteness.

Many thanks in advance for your support; Philip
Canada poses as the toughest country to obtain aquatic pharmaceuticals.
Copper and copper power are available to Canada via Amazon.com. This is great but covers parasites.
I also believe you can obtain Ruby Rally Pro which treat an array of situations such as bacterial, fungal, velvet, fin and tail rot, cloudy eye , flukes, brook and more

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to be the stick in the mud here (grin) - I’m worried that you could get into trouble getting the meds back into Canada.
Aquarists in Windsor have gotten in trouble buying corals in Detroit and driving them back over (CITES violation).

Jay

OP
OP
P

PhilM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to be the stick in the mud here (grin) - I’m worried that you could get into trouble getting the meds back into Canada.
Aquarists in Windsor have gotten in trouble buying corals in Detroit and driving them back over (CITES violation).

Jay

Jay

OP
OP
P

PhilM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am doing some research to confirm which ones and amounts.

I already have Copper Power and Ruby Reef Pro as these are readily available in Canada as well as Revive, Flatworm eXit, Dr Tim' s First defense, Chemiclean and Japanese yellow powder (also hard to get).

As to importing to Canada. My understanding and limited experience is strictly no corals allowed unless they come with CITES documentation. Fish are often permitted, but not always. CITES documents help. Aquatic pharmaceuticals are often allowed in in small sizes for personal use, but there are instances where they may not get through.

Many thanks for your help, Philip

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am doing some research to confirm which ones and amounts.

I already have Copper Power and Ruby Reef Pro as these are readily available in Canada as well as Revive, Flatworm eXit, Dr Tim' s First defense, Chemiclean and Japanese yellow powder (also hard to get).

As to importing to Canada. My understanding and limited experience is strictly no corals allowed unless they come with CITES documentation. Fish are often permitted, but not always. CITES documents help. Aquatic pharmaceuticals are often allowed in in small sizes for personal use, but there are instances where they may not get through.

Many thanks for your help, Philip

O.K., so if I'm not aiding and abetting smuggling (grin). I would bring in Coppersafe, General Cure and Neoplex.

Jay

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sold in Canada
Canada does have restrictions on many antibiotics we in the USA use. Some Canadian aquarists do order these antibiotics from online suppliers and have them sent to them in Canada. There is a risk the Canadian Customs will confiscate the item(s), but some do get through.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back