What to pair with algae scrubber?

rsoueid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to reefing and I’m currently working on a 50 gallon build. I’m attracted to the idea of algae scrubbers due to their easy maintenance and ability to compete with lighting and reduce display algae. Now, I’m one to purchase all the parts and pieces before I begin to start something as to avoid any issues. It’s to my understanding that a well performing algae scrubber suitable for my feeding habits can work rather effectively without protein skimmers, fleece filtration media, etc. I’m just curious as to what components more experienced reefers would recommend pairing with a scrubber. Thanks.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would never run a tank without a skimmer. They provide much more then just foam fractioning. I also would never run a tank without a carbon reactor.

Only 3 things for filtration I run. ATS, skimmer, and carbon/gfo reactor.

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uv sterilizer Light is great combination to pair with an Algae Scrubber. With the UV light you can control any outbreaks of Diatoms or Cyano (which are not algaes but) bacteria.

I would however keep the skimmer because it does other things like adds oxygen to the water. I can't imagine going without filter floss because I don't want to see stuff floating in my tank.

Did you already get the scrubber?

OP
OP
R

rsoueid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I haven’t yet. Just trying to get my list written up so I can plan for the right sump.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to reefing and I’m currently working on a 50 gallon build. I’m attracted to the idea of algae scrubbers due to their easy maintenance and ability to compete with lighting and reduce display algae. Now, I’m one to purchase all the parts and pieces before I begin to start something as to avoid any issues. It’s to my understanding that a well performing algae scrubber suitable for my feeding habits can work rather effectively without protein skimmers, fleece filtration media, etc. I’m just curious as to what components more experienced reefers would recommend pairing with a scrubber. Thanks.
You are right that an algae scrubber that performs very well would mean you don't really need a protein skimmer or anything like that. After all, an algae scrubber is probably one of the better ways at removing excess nutrients, given that the algae just soaks up whatever, and if there's ever a change in the balance of nutrients available, another type of algae will probably grow to take advantage of that.

I do think a UV sterilizer as suggested would be good, to reduce algal spores available in the water. Place it after the algae scrubber. A timer may be needed if you don't want to run the algae scrubber 24/7, but I do run mine 24/7 and that works great. I think a constant amount of algae growth is probably preferable, to ensure constant competition for nuisance algae in the display.

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I haven’t yet. Just trying to get my list written up so I can plan for the right sump.
The Scrubber I got is amazing and I just harvested some Algae for my fish yesterday.
20210612_145905.jpg

If I could design a sump or start over I'd get a rollar mate (cause sump socks are the most disgusting things on earth lol), Algae Scrubber and UV light. Those would be my top three, I'd then wait and let my tank tell me what it needs.

Jonnykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good thing to pair with it would be a spare set of lights for when they burn out lol.
I had one running for about a year, which gave great results.
It is now retired and on the shelf because the lights burned out.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back