What type of algae is this?

hannernanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all,
Hitting a bit of a rough patch with my tank. It's been set up since Dec of last year, so I was hoping I'd be nearing some sort of leveling out/maturing point with it. Various waves of algae have come and gone (GHA, suspected dinos), and my approach is usually to wait it out, manually remove, and keep parameters stable. This has worked until this most recent wave. Not sure what this globby brown stuff is. I've been removing it by hand every time I change water (every 2 wks) but it persists. Been living with it for three months, maybe longer? NO3 tests 1ppm consistently, despite the fact that I've bumped up fish feedings and been dosing NeoNitro. PO4 is consistently .02. I'm also a little bummed I haven't seen any coraline algae yet, but maybe it's not there because this stuff has taken over... other occupants are a few fish and a handful of corals. Mostly softies but a few LPS that are surviving, but I wouldn't say they're thriving (not sure why, since I'm on top of nutrients and params have been stable). Any ideas? I could really use some success right now!
Thanks,
Hannah

IMG_1088.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like chrysophytes. It’s is an algae/bacteria combo.
To combat, remove rock, scrub with firm toothbrush and hydrogen peroxide and return to tank and increase water flow towards rock

OP
OP
hannernanner

hannernanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How have things progressed with this?
Hi John,
Thanks for checking in. The struggle continues. I bought a microscope and have been sampling the stuff just today. I posted a thread in the nuisance algae forum for some help ID'ing. I actually think it may be Dinos, as the cells in this photo were definitely moving around. Doesn't really look like chrysophytes to me under the scope, based on what I've seen from other posters. In the original photo in this thread, my zoas are actually open. After a deep clean and removal of the brown gunk, all my zoas have closed up and they haven't been back out for about two weeks. Sigh.
IMG_1146.JPG

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you have tried water changes and charcoal for the zoas. I think they will probably open back up before long. Does it look like these snot blobs I had? I decided these were dinos.
1636477126013.png

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to ask, what magnification was that in your photo. I may buy one, but I want to make sure it is strong enough. They come back every now and then, so I might get one on sale with the black Friday deals.

OP
OP
hannernanner

hannernanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I forgot to ask, what magnification was that in your photo. I may buy one, but I want to make sure it is strong enough. They come back every now and then, so I might get one on sale with the black Friday deals.
I think that was at 600x? But to be honest I’m new to the microscope thing and not really sure how to know that. It’s an Amscope, got it for around $40.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back