What type of posts annoy you on this site?

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if any type of posts annoy you guys on this site?

For me, it's when people ask help to identify something, and send a picture with blue light only cranked to the max, and the picture is dark. It's like over 50% of the ID threads. Maybe it's just me and I can't filter out blue light or something.

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For me, it's when people ask help to identify something, and send a picture with blue light only cranked to the max, and the picture is dark. It's like over 50% of the ID threads. Maybe it's just me and I can't filter out blue light or something.

Guess I am in your club. When I see one of those posts, I'm thinking "what am I looking for?"

old salt reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed, I'd have say that annoys me the most.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t like it when someone asks for advice on the forum and some know it all snubs the person asking and says,”go read up and don’t ask here!!”. I agree research is beneficial to us all but trial and error and personal experience is just as important.
I can't say that I have ever encountered or seen that kind of response to someone's question on R2R. I've seen it on other forums, though.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t like it when someone asks for advice on the forum and some know it all snubs the person asking and says,”go read up and don’t ask here!!”. I agree research is beneficial to us all but trial and error and personal experience is just as important.
I feel that getting advice from people that have already done something or knows something from experience is better and easier than looking it up in a book or article. But that’s just me because most often I don’t have time to sit and read a book. Plus u can’t ask a book questions about things you don’t understand. ( no such thing as a stupid question only a stupid answer)

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel that getting advice from people that have already done something or knows something from experience is better and easier than looking it up in a book or article. But that’s just me because most often I don’t have time to sit and read a book. Plus u can’t ask a book questions about things you don’t understand. ( no such thing as a stupid question only a stupid answer)
And if somebody says,,, don’t ask here they don’t belong here on this site,, from what I gather information and sharing is what R2R is supposed to be about. Or am I wrong

ReefRy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posts that have nothing to do with reefing. I dont mean funny, good natured stuff or topics to spark random conversations, but rather when folks bring personal issues here. My reef is my getaway from reality, as I prefer this site to be. A place to learn, laugh occasionally, get new ideas, but definitely to let the outside world stay there.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posts that have nothing to do with reefing. I dont mean funny, good natured stuff or topics to spark random conversations, but rather when folks bring personal issues here. My reef is my getaway from reality, as I prefer this site to be. A place to learn, laugh occasionally, get new ideas, but definitely to let the outside world stay there.
Ocean is my sanctuary

3B17CBA8-E888-4305-8544-8E2C3E09D077.jpeg

OP
OP
H

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the lounge forum is for off topic stuff, no?

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with blue light pics. The other that get to me are the “what’s wrong with my tank” that have no pictures or parameters/details. The other is the super common hitch hikers like pineapple sponges and stomatella snails. The ones that you find a billion pictures/descriptions lol
I’ll help but at some point this in this hobby you have to do your own research and it seems super lazy to me to not do that. That being said, I probably did it when I was a newbie lol

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say that I have ever encountered or seen that kind of response to someone's question on R2R. I've seen it on other forums, though.

Unfortunately, I have seen it here, but I think when there are as many personalities as we have together here, there are going to be people who have patience for beginner questions and those who don't. There are going to be times when even the nicest person here has a bad day, when the experienced reefer who has given the same advice dozens of times is asked that same question just one time too many.

A quick story: I knew a colleague a few years ago who used sarcasm as a way to view the world and the people around her. It was her signature, her go to response for just about any situation. I always thought she was just a negative person who saw her cup as half empty rather than half full, who looked for the worst in people instead of the best, who enjoyed using her keen wit to lift herself up by putting others down...and then she committed suicide. When I looked at my colleague before her death, I saw only an absorbed narcissist who reveled at getting the best of people, and it was only after her death that I realize she was negative because she was so unhappy and COULD NOT see the good around her. The truth is we don't know what causes a person to respond negatively to another. A bad day, a bad moment, or a personal crisis. Anyone can spew negativity when patience is low and even lack of sleep can cause one to become irritable.

The trick, I guess, is to become conscious of our states of minds when posting to better battle those moments of weakness, those inner demons inside us all that can blind us from remembering we are responding to a real person with feelings as tender and/or defensive as our own would be if we were to be admonished for a perceived failure by another. We're human, but if we resist clicking "POST REPLY" when we're vexed and the content is written for our own satisfaction, and in no way benefits the OP, maybe our weak moments will go unnoticed? ;) :eek: Sorry, I just realized I sound like my mother! All I really meant to say is... Do unto others...LOL

Last edited:

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, present thread certainly excluded, of course, (and the irony is not wasted on me about it) :). . . but for me, it is posting pointless, meaningless poll questions for internet likes:

POLL: How many people here feed their fish?

POLL: Do your hermits live in shells?

POLL: What color is your favorite Yellow Tang? Explain in comments.

There. I said it. I feel better now. :p

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 92 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back