What type of RO/DI are you using?

MattS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.....and the type of filters?

I have a Coralife 4 stage and it's going through filters like crazy. I replaced them all, including the membrane less then two months ago and the sediment is already looking dirty and the DIs color has changed.

I'm trying to find something that will save money when it comes to replacing filters, once every 2 months isn't going to cut it.

I forgot to mention it has 1 TDS making it to the DI and zero coming out. I don't understand how it's using up the DI so quickly if it's only filtering out 1 TDS?

Last edited:

ironman

CRC Whipping Boy (round 2)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 months is awfully fast! I change mine maybe once a year, and tds is pretty stable. Have you ever checked your tds before the water enters your RO system? Unless you have very poor water something else is probly wrong. the fact that your sediment filters get dirty so fast almost tells me something is wrong with your water supply.

jtl2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Coralife also and don't have a similar issue. I'm on Savannah Valley water (big well, I understand). I've got around 120-130tds after the carbon block and 0tds coming out of the DI. Last changed filters back in May.

How much RO/DI water are you making on a weekly basis and where is your water supply coming from.

OP
OP
MattS

MattS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome jtl! I was just about to ask if by any chance someone else was on Savannah Valley.

What type of filters do you have? I have a .5 micron sediment and .5 carbon block. All the filters that I currently have are Spectrapure.

I'll update with the TDS from the carbon block tomorrow and I might get the pressure gauge tomorrow also.

About 20-30 gallons a week and it has a funky smell to it as-well, it almost smells like cat urine after it's been in the ATO reservoir for a couple of days and I let it run completely out every week or two.

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a prefilter and a pressure pump on a air water ice 4 stage. I have found that after installing the prefilter my filters stay much cleaner.

ironman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you say you are letting the filter "run out" what do you mean mean? you arnt suppose to let the membrane or DI dry once youve put the water to it. 20-30 gallons a week is alot of water, but still shouldnt be an issue, my TDS is 120 - 140 and like I said I dont change my filters very often cause they just dont go bad. I just ordered all new filters to replace them, but they really dont need it and its been nearly a year. I make at least 20 - 30 gallons every two weeks

OP
OP
MattS

MattS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let the auto top offs reservoir run out so the water doesn't sit in there for awhile. I noticed today though that the smell is coming from newly filtered water, I guess it's more noticeable once it's been in the container a few days.

20-30g is alot? I figured it was less compared to big tank owners. 5g of that is just RO water and it goes to some FW tanks.

Could I use an in-line TDS meter to check the tap water, put it in a glass and dip the probe in there?

Bama, what do you mean by a pre-filter? Is it an addition to the 4-stage, and what do you have in it?

ironman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesnt your 4 stage have a sediment filter first? you should have a sediment filter, then one or two carbon filters, then Ro membrane, then DI if you have DI. Im not sure how another sediment would be all that much better? it would just add another sediment filter inline to clog first? maybe im reading wrong?

are you sure the RO is hooked up right? all the canisters are in the right order? How old is the membrane? Just out of curiousity how long does it take for your system to make 30 gallons?
so when you said you let it run dry you meant your resevoir? not your RO unit?

jtl2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running the Coralife 1micron sediment and Carbon Block. I'm using the color changing DI from air/water/ice and a Filmtec RO (50gpd).

The carbon should take care of any odor issues, I would think. Never have noticed an odor with make-up water.

OP
OP
MattS

MattS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ironman, yes that is how it's setup a .5 micron>.5 carbon>90gpd membrane>DI

All of the filters including the membrane are less then 2 months old and it use to be a 50gpd until I upgraded to the 90gpd membrane (with flow restrictor) I'll check it again once I change out the filters I just got but it was a 4:1 waste to product ratio (recommended by Spectrapure).

spectrapure2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello-
When I hear of reports of short DI life and reported low incoming TDS (such as reported above) I usually suspect CO2 which presents as ionic load to the DI and can consumer the resin as fast (or in this case with low TDS) or faster than the TDS reported.
You can determine CO 2 levels with atest kit, or by using tables in conjunction with Ph. If you need some help, pm us and we will try.
bruce

OP
OP
MattS

MattS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read about that on the website, you suggests the PVC column. I'm having a hard time grasping the setup that would be required, it seems like a lot of money and space to add something like that especially with a booster pump.

I checked with the water company and they pull our water from three large wells so I would imagine that CO2 is the reason.

Forgot to update the PSI which is at 57

Last edited:
OP
OP
MattS

MattS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could the odor be coming from the excessive CO2? I figured the carbon block would take out that out.

spectrapure2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bruce (above) is right about the CO2 being the load culprit. CO2 doesn't smell in any way and is not removed by the carbon filter. CO2 (as do all gases) pass right through the RO membrane and is absorbed by the DI carts.

The smell could be coming from the DI cart. They will have an odor when they are new and then again when they are exhausted. Do your smell test with the RO water only.

Scott
SpectraPure, Inc.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back