What unusual additive are you adding to your reef tank?

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen this stuff which I believe is red in color and turned my nose at it , but now you got me wondering
Yeah I hear ya.

Here are a few links to it, good reading material about it.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mines not super unusual as far as what it is but how I prepare it is! My lionfish nala hates big chunks of food (yeah weird for a lion I know) so I have to cut her predator food into small pieces for her to show interest!
I have to resort to this for my tang gang often

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
H2O2 with UV for parasite management. I don't know if its working yet, but I haven't had any disease related fish deaths yet.
Are you aware that UV unit actually breaks down peroxide? Likely having the UV is doing the job

Baka Mop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Are you aware that UV unit actually breaks down peroxide? Likely having the UV is doing the job
Yeah that's the idea. To increase oxidation and break down organics in the water using the reaction of UV and H2O2. There's a big thread on Humblefish forums regarding the method and alot of anecdotal evidence that it does help keep parasite population down, compared to just using UV, enough that there is no measureable levels on an eDNA test after several months of dosing. I'm going to add ozone later, but I want to see if there would be any adverse reactions with H2O2. I don't think there should be, but better safe than sorry. Probably would just avoid adding them at the same time.

Tangs-A-Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think really if folks didn't add strange stuff to their tanks we may not have the advancement we have had some of the products developed that are useful additives. People used to put pennies in their tanks and now we have copper treatment. I don't see a bannana treatment anytime soon tho.
You mean you’re not going to fall for a banana in the return pipe ?!?

reefadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use DIY coral snow after blowing off rocks as it helps with water clarity. At least I think it does.
Other than that nothing unusual , 2part, kalk, mb7, bacto balance, and acro power. Not all goes into one tank, I have several and each is different in requirements.
Calcium carbonate powder? I just ordered some. It’s been a while since I’ve used it, but remember great results.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stump remover! (Just kidding, but was a thought crossing my mind, in the hypothetical...) but really though, what would potassium nitrate do? Like dosing potassium and nitrate? Chemistry always bites me, thinking i know what something is but forget that adding other somethings the the mix causes yet another set of undesirable somethings :/

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't consider it unusual since it is a common natural process in the ocean (acetate metabolism), but I dosed vinegar to boost growth of bacteria, filter feeders, corals, sponges, etc. :)
Edit: Aw, never mind, I just had to read a little further

I'm curious, how often do you do this. What vinegar do you use and how much per 25 gallons. I think a small article on this would be cool.

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stump remover! (Just kidding, but was a thought crossing my mind, in the hypothetical...) but really though, what would potassium nitrate do? Like dosing potassium and nitrate? Chemistry always bites me, thinking i know what something is but forget that adding other somethings the the mix causes yet another set of undesirable somethings :/

Yes. Folks used it for nitrate boosting, but it leads to excessive potassium in some cases and is not recommended.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: Aw, never mind, I just had to read a little further

I'm curious, how often do you do this. What vinegar do you use and how much per 25 gallons. I think a small article on this would be cool.

Thanks

People who organic carbon dose, such as myself, add it every day, often many times a day to spread it out. It's a very common methodology. There are commercial versions (such as NOPOX) if you prefer paying someone else to put it in special bottles.

mijan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was setting up my latest tank I didn't have any shrimp to help with the cycle. I wasn't going to run to the store just to get it but as I was cutting up chicken for dinner I tossed in a 1 inch cube of that. It worked just fine.

sjfishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still use the 50lb bags of calcium chloride driveway salt and magnesium driveway salt for my two part like I did 15 years ago. Tried the brs stuff for a little while, no difference. Went back to the driveway salt and still have never had a problem, all acros look great

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dosing ammonia since May. Here on reef2reef it seems normal but tell your local LFS that and they pretty much tell me everything is going to die.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back