What unusual additive are you adding to your reef tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lately Ive seen persons posting addition of yeast, bananas, cilantro, banana leaves, homemade supplements such as coral snow and even sugar. Most speak of adding these unusual items but rarely do I see the why's and the benefits they see, if any

I add nothing other than the alk-CA-Mag When needed as well as aminos, Trace elements and even flatworm Exit for SPS and stony coral health.

Without being judged by others -
What unusual additives or items do you add to your reef tank and how long have you been adding the named item(s)
What benefits have you seen from doing this?

In the past I tried yeast, and really did not after a month see any significant change to coral appearance, so I pulled off

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use DIY coral snow after blowing off rocks as it helps with water clarity. At least I think it does.
Other than that nothing unusual , 2part, kalk, mb7, bacto balance, and acro power. Not all goes into one tank, I have several and each is different in requirements.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't consider it unusual since it is a common natural process in the ocean (acetate metabolism), but I dosed vinegar to boost growth of bacteria, filter feeders, corals, sponges, etc. :)

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if this is considered unusual but I dose Brightwell Restor, .5mL every other day on a doser. I have
definitely see a difference in my coral within the last 2 months I have been dosing it.

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been recently been dosing Dr. Tims Eco-balance / First Defense recipe. Essentially growing a bacterial culture out for a few days and dosing it to feed the corals. I have noticed greater polyp extension in Acropora since using it. I like the results so far

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don't consider it unusual since it is a common natural process in the ocean (acetate metabolism), but I dosed vinegar to boost growth of bacteria, filter feeders, corals, sponges, etc. :)
was hoping you would chime in. What unusual things have you seen and had to take a double when you read what was added?

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think really if folks didn't add strange stuff to their tanks we may not have the advancement we have had some of the products developed that are useful additives. People used to put pennies in their tanks and now we have copper treatment. I don't see a bannana treatment anytime soon tho.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard of this plankton/vitamin mix but have wanted to hear of results
I used to only dose it once a week but now I dose daily (my montis and acros have really been growing exponentially since I made the change). It could also be something else I'm doing unwittingly, but a bottle lasts quite a long time.

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of vinegar and how much per gal? What does vinegar actually do thou. I have heard about this but not the benefits of it.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think really if folks didn't add strange stuff to their tanks we may not have the advancement we have had some of the products developed that are useful additives. People used to put pennies in their tanks and now we have copper treatment. I don't see a bannana treatment anytime soon tho.
Good point

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium reactor doing the usual Alk & Ca and manually dose Mg as needed. Other than that, dosing absolutely nothing and still no water changes in almost 3 years.

I used to dose Acropower but have stopped 8+ mos ago — saw no difference in growth / color. I think I should be dosing something (e.g trace elements) but I don’t want to dose anything I can’t measure. Besides, the tank is doing well so I’m not touching it! Ha

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was hoping you would chime in. What unusual things have you seen and had to take a double when you read what was added?

Many things that some folks would consider unusual without hearing an explanation of why it is used (say, vodka to dose ethanol) are really just an inexpensive or convenient way to add something that is useful, and for which the purpose is not inherently obvious from the common name of the thing being dosed.

IMO, unusual is to add things of no apparent benefit. I'd include barium, rubidium and lithium on that list. Certain vitamins added to the water might also land on that list, but it's at least possible something might take it up and benefit from it.

There are a large number of organic molecules one could use for organic carbon dosing. Some choices may be much less common than others, and some are toxic and won't be beneficial. Folks might find the useful but uncommon ones "unusual", but many of them would likely function OK.

Then there are the unusual things that are actually scams, or at best, misapplications of an idea. Magnetic water, ionized water, nanobubbles, electric and magnetic fields, etc.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knew a guy who squeezed half of a fresh orange into his tank every day or two. His tank looked great before, and also great after. This is not the weird part - the weird part is he said that he wanted his corals to get the fiber from the fruit, or something like that... not sugars or vitamins. He fed bananas for potassium and romaine for his fish for some reason. This was back when feeding romaine was pretty common.

I use janitorial strength ammonium hydroxide for years if I have a system with no fish. This used to be more unusual than it is now.

If you were describing what you do to outsiders, driveway melt, baking soda, pickling lime all would sound unusual for reef tanks.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Knew a guy who squeezed half of a fresh orange into his tank every day or two. His tank looked great before, and also great after. This is not the weird part - the weird part is he said that he wanted his corals to get the fiber from the fruit, or something like that... not sugars or vitamins. He fed bananas for potassium and romaine for his fish for some reason. This was back when feeding romaine was pretty common.

I use janitorial strength ammonium hydroxide for years if I have a system with no fish. This used to be more unusual than it is now.

If you were describing what you do to outsiders, driveway melt, baking soda, pickling lime all would sound unusual for reef tanks.
This is what I am seeking- Oranges?? Yikes as the first thing that come to mind are acids but the whole purpose was to identify and seek what things like oranges are administered. Thumbs up

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back