What unusual additive are you adding to your reef tank?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dosing ammonia since May. Here on reef2reef it seems normal but tell your local LFS that and they pretty much tell me everything is going to die.
After reading one of Randy’s posts not long ago I’ve been thinking of dosing ammonia . But a little confused as I still have the old days zero ammonia mentality

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently dosing Acropower. I ran high nutrients beforehand, but after doing maintenance and removing a lot of pest algae as well as several unfortunate events (return pump off overnight, nuked sump, all for reef overdose causing alk spike) I am running lower nutrients from water changes and my hope is the acro is helping give them something in the high dKh environment I had

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading one of Randy’s posts not long ago I’ve been thinking of dosing ammonia . But a little confused as I still have the old days zero ammonia mentality
I think the trick is you are dosing for consumption, not necessarily detection. Harmful levels only occur when uptake/metabolism is insufficient for the dose or you make a mistake

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the trick is you are dosing for consumption, not necessarily detection. Harmful levels only occur when uptake/metabolism is insufficient for the dose or you make a mistake
If dosing ammonia . I’m assuming it wouldn’t be detected as ammonia but I would notice higher levels of nitrates as an end result ?

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did as well as I had just finished cycling my tank 4 weeks prior. I still have questions but I know my corals look pretty good and are growing and my nitrates are the steadiest parameter I have.
I’m actually increasing my dose as of yesterday.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If dosing ammonia . I’m assuming it wouldn’t be detected as ammonia but I would notice higher levels of nitrates as an end result ?
I'm not 100% familiar with it - need to reread Randy's article. But if the corals are directly assimilating the ammonia, not sure

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dosing ammonia since May. Here on reef2reef it seems normal but tell your local LFS that and they pretty much tell me everything is going to die.
lol

I suspect they’d also disbelieve other things…vibrant, prime, etc

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not 100% familiar with it - need to reread Randy's article. But if the corals are directly assimilating the ammonia, not sure
I’ll have to read it again as well .
Calculating a dose is where I’m confused

And Would it be as beneficial to just add more fish to naturally produce more ammonia ….

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And Would it be as beneficial to just add more fish to naturally produce more ammonia ….
Indirectly, I suppose it's two sides of the same coin, only you can't control the amount they poop (beyond feeding enough that a specific level of waste appears/respiration/urination) whereas dosing allows for very controlled levels since you're skipping a step. Also, a lot of food contains phosphates as well as a host of other misc organics that may or may not break down the same. But I'd rather not speculate - @Randy Holmes-Farley is better for clarification. Of course, if you wanted to raise total available nutrients, you could do both, but I haven't dosed ammonia before sooooo

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If just balancing demand, it may not show as nitrate. If dosing is a bit higher than demand, which is ok, then some likely will show as nitrate.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Possibly, depending on the scenario. Fish add other things to the water and also consume O2.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose 3 drops of Honey nightly, and WOW you should see the growth I’m getting. HeHe

Last edited:

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I am dosing my self vodka never felt better. Randy has all the good ideas
Tim And Eric Drinking GIF

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed quite a lot. from 50-400 ml per day to my system with total volume 250-350 gallons.. 100 mL per day was typical.

here's an article:

HI Randy...what do you think of SunnyX method of dosing as found in this post and on his website? I've been using his method with his coral snow and MicroBacter7 and just had a big cyanobacteria outbreak which I had to treat with ChemClean...also I have experienced a 90% coral die off in my 1 year old aquarium with still no answers as to why. (getting ICP test to determine if it's something in the water)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI Randy...what do you think of SunnyX method of dosing as found in this post and on his website? I've been using his method with his coral snow and MicroBacter7 and just had a big cyanobacteria outbreak which I had to treat with ChemClean...also I have experienced a 90% coral die off in my 1 year old aquarium with still no answers as to why. (getting ICP test to determine if it's something in the water)

The coral snow exports organics (and maybe some phosphate). It's apparently a fine thing to do, but I'm not really sure how filter feeders such as sponges like it. Clogging them up seems a possible concern.

Dosing MB7 as a bacterial food seems expensive as opposed to organic carbon dosing, but there's no big issue with it that I see.

I don't think dosing MB& is a god nutrient control method.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back