What Vanadium Level is Toxic?

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After adding a magnetic ceramic shelf to my tank my ICP results for Vanadium increased from near zero to 15 ug/l. A few questions:
  • This is in the red zone per Triton. But, all corals look healthy and are growing. What Vanadium Level is too high and might start to cause problems?
  • Will Vanadium fall on it's own over time or do I need to do a water change to get it down quickly?
  • Do ceramic rocks continually leach vanadium or just when first added to a tank? Trying to figure out if I should remove them permanently or just get through this initial vanadium spike.
Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like other trace elements, there's not good data and even if there were it would be subject to variation as trace elements can be in different forms.

That said, here's a baseline of expert opinion that believes that 100 ug/L is generally OK:

http://www.ukmarinesac.org.uk/activities/water-quality/wq8_10.htm

"They recommended that the EQS of 100 ug l-1 (total annual average) was appropriate for the protection of all saltwater life, although where there was concern that the health of communities in sites of nature conservation importance may be compromised as a result of the presence of particularly sensitive species, a lower value may be used as a guideline. "

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back