What was your 1st SW fish?

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s take a trip down memory lane :)

What was your 1st saltwater fish? Do you still have it? What was it like?...

Mine was an ill-advised purchase. A purple dottyback we lovingly named Barney and later renamed purple douchbag. I’ve never had a fish like it before. This fish literally watched me. LITERALLY. We would play peekaboo. No joke. He was a jerk and I had to pull him out and relandscape to give the others a chance to shuffle the hierarchy but it was no use. Sadly, after about a yr, he was lost in a tank cleaning accident. It was my first fish heartbreak. My other fish were thrilled.

RIP purple douchbag. I’ll never forget you.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
royal gramma.... curled up in a hole and died the first night. great way to start off reefing. lol

Oh no. I just lost a royal gramma to who knows what. Found he had flukes while in qt, then infection, died w signs of internal parasites. Poor thing was a mess. They’re generally known to be hardy.

Did you ever get another one? They’re one of my favourite fish. Lots of personality and absolutely gorgeous

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lane is short... I picked up my first SW fish yesterday. Four clowns. One of them swam out of the net and directly into a power head. The other three are doing great... So, YES, I still have my first SW fish.

Ooohhh congratulations and welcome to the hobby!

Swam into a power head? Didn’t know that was a thing. Did it get stuck to the side or something?

PaulPerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Swam into a power head? Didn’t know that was a thing. Did it get stuck to the side or something?
No. It swam straight toward it and then right through the side and got shot across the tank. It lasted about another five minutes, but obviously suffered severe internal injuries.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s take a trip down memory lane :)

What was your 1st saltwater fish? Do you still have it? What was it like?...

Mine was an ill-advised purchase. A purple dottyback we lovingly named Barney and later renamed purple douchbag. I’ve never had a fish like it before. This fish literally watched me. LITERALLY. We would play peekaboo. No joke. He was a jerk and I had to pull him out and relandscape to give the others a chance to shuffle the hierarchy but it was no use. Sadly, after about a yr, he was lost in a tank cleaning accident. It was my first fish heartbreak. My other fish were thrilled.

RIP purple douchbag. I’ll never forget you.
1983 the thinking then was add a fish or two get biological process started. Mine was a blue damsel, that would eat from my hand.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Frtdrmrose7 - I’d love to know what you started with. Perhaps a great white lol?

No, just a pair of plain old clowns, the great white was my second fish. Did I mention my first tank was a 55G?

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1983 the thinking then was add a fish or two get biological process started. Mine was a blue damsel, that would eat from my hand.

That’s just too Cute. I bet the industry’s come a long way since then. You must have learned so much. Glad to have access to ppl like u on here for the occasional brain pick :)

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had a wrasse do that in QT and I got him out and he was bent up like a Z, I was sure he was a goner but he’s in my DT now.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, just a pair of plain old clowns, the great white was my second fish. Did I mention my first tank was a 55G?

BAHAHAHAHA funny
You did not. I’ve got a 55. Really itching to upgrade but it’s just so expensive. Gonna have to put it on hold for now i think.
Can I ask what your username means? It’s like reading a novelty licence plate that you just know means something but you can’t figure it out. Halp!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 58 54.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.5%
Back