OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PJ Cardinal. After my tank was cycled, I was at my LFS looking around and asking questions. They ended up giving me free frag of GSP, and I felt a little guilty just getting some thing for free so we picked up PJ. That was 3 years ago, neither me or my wife really like him, but I can bring myself to re-home it.

Glad to see I’m not the o lu one who gets attached to my fish :)

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish. I was shopping for my dog at Petco and since my 75g had just finished cycling I made an impulse buy and bought it. Love this guy, he has survived two jumps out of the tank, he's a little trooper.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish. I was shopping for my dog at Petco and since my 75g had just finished cycling I made an impulse buy and bought it. Love this guy, he has survived two jumps out of the tank, he's a little trooper.

Oh wow. I’ve tried 3 all at different times. All 3 died of disease shortly after purchase. Love these guys but I just don’t want to risk another one. Figured they were just really fragile but your little guy seems tough as nails. Maybe I’ll reconsider one day ;)

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cycle my first saltwater tank in 1978 0r '79 with 4 blue and 4 yellow tail blue damsels...I think 2 died in cycle... was a 55 gallon with an airstone powered undergravel filter, silica sand bottom and a supreme aqua king filter hanging on the back with 2 - 40watt Vita Lite bulbs
I used to run undergravel for saltwater as well, nobody believes me when I tell them it works for fish only. Many ask what undergravel is.

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow. I’ve tried 3 all at different times. All 3 died of disease shortly after purchase. Love these guys but I just don’t want to risk another one. Figured they were just really fragile but your little guy seems tough as nails. Maybe I’ll reconsider one day ;)

I have two, they are doing well. Run a quarantine. Neither of mine showed disease ever but I did treat prazi. Give it a go, they are fairly inexpensive as well.

gypsyboy38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A blue damsel and bangai cardinal in a literally new 10 gallon, which was purchased with the fish. Needless to say, they died shortly thereafter :(

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two, they are doing well. Run a quarantine. Neither of mine showed disease ever but I did treat prazi. Give it a go, they are fairly inexpensive as well.

2? Together? I always quarantine. They come in diseased. I just got my shipment of meds (the good stuff, not the nonsense I have access to locally) so, if I have luck w other fish, I’ll reconsider

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2? Together? I always quarantine. They come in diseased. I just got my shipment of meds (the good stuff, not the nonsense I have access to locally) so, if I have luck w other fish, I’ll reconsider

Maybe I shouldn't but I run multiple fish in quarantine. It could be dangerous for all fish in QT with viral (which seems rare in fish) or prion (Which I have never heard mentioned r/t fish), but with parasitic or bacterial I do not think there is much transmission risk in medicated water. Mostly it is an issue of once some fish get comfortable they get to be bullies. Worst I had was the tail spot blenny in QT. I currently have 3 barnacle blennies, 1 war paint goby, 1 oscellaris (1 died right after arrival from unidentified reasons but something affecting the swim bladder), 1 barber shop goby, and two flasher wrasses. These are some small fish and none have shown disease other than the one that was positively buoyant. Running Marine ich shield (I now have a new source of chloroquine) and prazi with food being metro soaked flakes and frozen. Everyone is doing well. Looking to transfer to DT this weekend.

The firefish had no problems in QT and still hang together often in the DT.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back