Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow tell more.

lol

18-19 got a refund from school went to the mall with my gf to buy some sneakers, walked into a Petland Discount had never seen saltwater fish before and I think the dude at the petshop saw how strucked and excited I was to actually see corals and saltwater fish and told me we have a special $300 for a 55g, stand, canister filter and gravel for will hold the eel for you... I said say no more take my money lol

Up to date the most expensive fish I’ve bought imagine spending almost $200 in 1999 on a fish lol

Edit: I couldn’t afford the sneakers after my splurge lol

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2002.... bought one tiny domino damsel for a 500 gallon tank. He was absolutely adorable. I guess he was purchased to cycle the tank which is kinda funny since he was so tiny and the tank was so big. He ended up almost 5” long, a muddy black-brown color, and mean as the devil. I had to catch him with a hook and some shrimp. Took him back to the LFS. They put him in their DT where he lived another 10 years or so.

You went fishing in your aquarium? Hahahaha it’s amazing he survived so long after too. What a catch!

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol

18-19 got a refund from school went to the mall with my gf to buy some sneakers, walked into a Petland Discount had never seen saltwater fish before and I think the dude at the petshop saw how strucked and excited I was to actually see corals and saltwater fish and told me we have a special $300 for a 55g, stand, canister filter and gravel for will hold the eel for you... I said say no more take my money lol

Up to date the most expensive fish I’ve bought imagine spending almost $200 in 1999 on a fish lol

Edit: I couldn’t afford the sneakers after my splurge lol

And the best story award goes to .... @bronxreef!!!!

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You went fishing in your aquarium? Hahahaha it’s amazing he survived so long after too. What a catch!
Yep I did..... the tank was 8'x3'x3'..... had it not been for the 400 lbs of rock, my kids could have gone swimming! Could not catch or trap him and taking the water/rock out was NOT an option. So, rod and reel were the next best thing. We were very careful to not injure him. As soon as he took the shrimp, we scooped him with the net. And we took the barb off the hook. He was fine... a little ticked off, but none the worse for wear.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I did..... the tank was 8'x3'x3'..... had it not been for the 400 lbs of rock, my kids could have gone swimming! Could not catch or trap him and taking the water/rock out was NOT an option. So, rod and reel were the next best thing. We were very careful to not injure him. As soon as he took the shrimp, we scooped him with the net. And we took the barb off the hook. He was fine... a little ticked off, but none the worse for wear.

Holy cow.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the best story award goes to .... @bronxreef!!!!

Thank you thank you I’m so honored lol..

Also had a porcupine puffer, volitan lionfish and a yellow tang, what made me give up you ask besides being in my early 20s in a city that never sleeps... I remember walking into a petco and seeing in person a bi color dwarf angel and again went crazy snatched him up with again the last $40 in my pocket on a Friday I remember. Got home excited I was adding color to my tank... didn’t last 30sec my Eel made quick work of him. I was heartbroken starterd giving away everything after that day, but bounced back although it took me a while 2016 lol

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first was trio of molly's to cycle the tank for an octopus. Octopus ate two, one of the mollies outlived the octopus and hung out with the load of damsels I put in there after the octopus. Eventually they went back to the pet store as I was too unstable with my living situation to keep a tank going. This time around, after a 20 year break, first fish purchase was tailspot goby, yellow clown goby, raindford's goby, and watchman goby.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you thank you I’m so honored lol..

Also had a porcupine puffer, volitan lionfish and a yellow tang, what made me give up you ask besides being in my early 20s in a city that never sleeps... I remember walking into a petco and seeing in person a bi color dwarf angel and again went crazy snatched him up with again the last $40 in my pocket on a Friday I remember. Got home excited I was adding color to my tank... didn’t last 30sec my Eel made quick work of him. I was heartbroken starterd giving away everything after that day, but bounced back although it took me a while 2016 lol

Oh no! Impulse purchases and this hobby just don’t mix do they? Lol. I Learned that lesson the hard way too. Twice

Jpconer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cycle my first saltwater tank in 1978 0r '79 with 4 blue and 4 yellow tail blue damsels...I think 2 died in cycle... was a 55 gallon with an airstone powered undergravel filter, silica sand bottom and a supreme aqua king filter hanging on the back with 2 - 40watt Vita Lite bulbs

Iona Skye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I adapted my guppies to brackish water, then salt water, then after it was fully cycled I added hermits, then blue green chromis, then other fish bit by bit. So my first saltwater fish was actually freshwater guppies!

As to what happened to them... the guppies became lunch for saltwater predators. Probably my snowflake eel named Amore.

(Hopefully that doesn't sound mean or anything. I used to feed live food quite often, especially to my teeny fuzzy dwarf lion who ONLY ate live food no matter how hard I tried to train him to eat frozen. But I was ready for him because I had already been raising guppies, plattys and crays so I had a solid supply of bite-sized morsels for him.)

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green chromis. Still have him. Hasnt grown a bit. Still manages to steal food from all of my other fish including wrasses and tangs. I have to fill him up with pellets before anyone else can eat because he is lightning fast.

Zwogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PJ Cardinal. After my tank was cycled, I was at my LFS looking around and asking questions. They ended up giving me free frag of GSP, and I felt a little guilty just getting some thing for free so we picked up PJ. That was 3 years ago, neither me or my wife really like him, but I can bring myself to re-home it.

Hillbillyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of ocellaris clowns. Strangely enough that was the first pair the kids picked to go into the rebooted tank 10 yrs later.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back