What was your 1st SW fish?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns seem to be a reoccurring fish on this list. Perhaps I should consider adding a few...
Who doesn't like Nemo. In all seriousness clowns are cheap and scream sw. They also have a very unique swimming pattern . they are a very hardy fish

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow clown goby
4-12-2007
113_1339-L.jpg
still have it

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used 20 gallon from a local garden store that was getting rid of their fish section, it was one of their saltwater tanks they sold fish out of. (I was probably 13, the tank was completely drained except for the undergravel filter and the sand). Got home and started adding water to the tank and an immature lunar wrasse swam out. So he became my first saltwater fish. (He survived to, later to be rehomed).

sstanley223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s take a trip down memory lane :)

What was your 1st saltwater fish? Do you still have it? What was it like?...

Mine was an ill-advised purchase. A purple dottyback we lovingly named Barney and later renamed purple douchbag. I’ve never had a fish like it before. This fish literally watched me. LITERALLY. We would play peekaboo. No joke. He was a jerk and I had to pull him out and relandscape to give the others a chance to shuffle the hierarchy but it was no use. Sadly, after about a yr, he was lost in a tank cleaning accident. It was my first fish heartbreak. My other fish were thrilled.

RIP purple douchbag. I’ll never forget you.
Purple douchbag! [emoji23]

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used 20 gallon from a local garden store that was getting rid of their fish section, it was one of their saltwater tanks they sold fish out of. (I was probably 13, the tank was completely drained except for the undergravel filter and the sand). Got home and started adding water to the tank and an immature lunar wrasse swam out. So he became my first saltwater fish. (He survived to, later to be rehomed).

That’s quite a story

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A gorgeous powder brown Tang that I named eclipse. His outer yellow and orange bands fit the name perfectly. Sadly he died in qt after a three week battle with velvet. :( You know how how those nems like to carry little nasties. Oh well, can't be to sad though. The nem was my break through from a fowlr to reef tank.;Happy;Happy

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Diamond Watchman Goby a couple of years back. Interesting character who always liked to peek at me from his burrow. My favorite thing to see him do though was to take on the role of the clean up crew manager. If he saw a hermit crab wasn't where he thought it should be he would pick it up in his mouth and move it where it should be. He would even pick them up off the substrate and place them up on the live rock as if to say (I've got the sandbed, you focus on the rockwork).

Sadly the combination of the tank upgrade plus a major rockwork restructuring proved to be too stressful for him and he would hide too much and not eat. He wasted away and died after just over a year. :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Diamond Watchman Goby a couple of years back. Interesting character who always liked to peek at me from his burrow. My favorite thing to see him do though was to take on the role of the clean up crew manager. If he saw a hermit crab wasn't where he through it should be he would pick it up in his mouth and move it where it should be. He would even pick them up off the substrate and place them up on the live rock as if to say (I've got the sandbed, you focus on the rockwork).

Sadly the combination of the tank upgrade plus a major rockwork restructuring proved to be too stressful for him and he would hide too much and not eat. He wasted away and died after just over a year. :(

What a character. ive never heard of one do that before

Fin-up reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was a Blue Fiji Devil Damselfish. I started my tank back in 2014. He was in a 75 gallon FOWLR but he currently lives in my 210 gallon reef. I'll tell you though, he's a trooper. He has survived 3 tank crashes, and he jumped out of my tank maybe 4 times.. He still lives. Lol.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back