What wavemaker is best for my tank?

xeqtologist

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 17, 2024
Messages
24
Reaction score
14
Location
phoenix
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon breeder and I have a gyre wavemaker and a regular circular wide angle wavemaker and the gyre's been either hit or miss on being too strong or just not giving the result i want. The smaller wavemaker is good but can't be on it's own and it's underpowered. I have a central rock setup that goes up to the top of the water and extends out about 4 inches from the front. and I want to have two wavemakers I just have been battling with this gyre for awhile. Does anyone have any reccomendations on wavemaker pairs that I can get good flow on with my torches and nems? This is mainly a coral tank tbh. lots of corals.
 
My 40 breeder has 2 gyres set at 45% plus the return.

I think your issue is having only one, IMO its almost impossible to have good flow all through the tank with only one source of flow, it creates a linear one-way flow that will have several dead flow spots. Ideally there should be 2 sources or flow on the opposite side of each other with the flow aimed at each other so they bounce and create random flow patterns, this is ideal.

Even my 15 gallon softie tank has 2 powerheads.
 
My 40 breeder has 2 gyres set at 45% plus the return.

I think your issue is having only one, IMO its almost impossible to have good flow all through the tank with only one source of flow, it creates a linear one-way flow that will have several dead flow spots. Ideally there should be 2 sources or flow on the opposite side of each other with the flow aimed at each other so they bounce and create random flow patterns, this is ideal.

Even my 15 gallon softie tank has 2 powerheads.
How are your gyres set up? are they complete opposite or is there some variation with one being further up front and one being further back
 
They are both on the opposite side, about 2 thirds of the way up. I like to angle at least one of the cages upwards to agitate the surface, and they are both set on random flow, so the flow actually goes and down from 35%-45% on each side.
 
Tunze pumps are my all time favorite. They are rock solid. Depending on budget they have a whole bunch of choices.

I am currently using the 6040 on a 25g tank and it is crazy good. Dead silent and doesn't take up much room at all
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new