What would irratate gsp

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi so I am having an issue that I never thought I would say, but something is causing my gsp to stay closed and I don't understand what.

The gsp had been in my tank for about a week and has been happily open until the last 2 days when it hasn't opened. It is in a medium flow medium light spot. The thing that is causing me confusion with this is that all of my perameters are stable and all of my sps and lps are open and happy.

The only thing that has changed in the last few days is that I started to use polypbooster.

Is there anything that people have found to annoy gsp that wouldn't bother other corals.
I bought the gsp on the understanding that it grows fast and is hard to kill to get it to cover my overflow but so far it seems to be the hardest coral in my tank to keep happy

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, even though it's a hardy coral, it's a new coral to the tank, so all bets are off. It could just be acclimating. There are even some GSPs that will withdraw their polyps for a couple days every few months then be back to normal.

After that, a ton of things could be bothering it- first, do you notice any flaking off of the purple mat?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
YES GSP can and will retract it's polyps for long periods of time.

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, even though it's a hardy coral, it's a new coral to the tank, so all bets are off. It could just be acclimating. There are even some GSPs that will withdraw their polyps for a couple days every few months then be back to normal.

After that, a ton of things could be bothering it- first, do you notice any flaking off of the purple mat?
I understand that it is new, just thought it was odd that it had been open for 6 ish days before doing it. The mat looks fine and in one piece. I didn't realise they sometimes withdraw for a couple of days. I will give it a few more days to see what happens

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a small frag of gsp to my 30g yesterday thats been running for two years. It just opened today. I was surprised considering i added an acro and a bowerbanki which opened up before the gsp did.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 64 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back