What would you debunk/prove?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had the resources to debunk/prove any of the conceptions in the aquarium hobby, what would it be?

Utility of supplemental iodine.

Utility of supplemental strontium (or any need for it at all).

OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Utility of supplemental iodine.

Utility of supplemental strontium (or any need for it at all).
I remember that strontium was used in reefkeeping when I accidentally googled that instead of molybdenum for a high school powerpoint presentation (fun fact, they use protein skimming to get molybdenum!), but what are the supposed benefits to them? IIRC, strontium is more for stony corals, and iodine for soft corals?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning on experimenting with high end nem mixing, CSB's in particular, once I accumulate some backups!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember that strontium was used in reefkeeping when I accidentally googled that instead of molybdenum for a high school powerpoint presentation (fun fact, they use protein skimming to get molybdenum!), but what are the supposed benefits to them? IIRC, strontium is more for stony corals, and iodine for soft corals?

I don't think there is any benefit to most organisms we keep, hence the debunk request. lol

But both are commonly pushed as supplements by both users and sellers.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wondered about strontium after I started using this:

20201013_154403.jpg

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do marine aquarium hobby research for any amount of money. Many of the contentious topics in the hobby are not actually a data problem, people just don't believe them because they don't want to. Once you are convinced of something it's very difficult to change that belief. Our cognitive biases make us more readily accept information that confirms our biases than information that does not. Some people are worse at this than others, but every person has at least some built-in resistance to new information that challenges what they believe.

I would have an incredibly empty and hollow feeling knowing I was doing research that people dismiss simply because they don't want to believe it.

but what about the people like me who are willing to at least try something once :D?

OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do marine aquarium hobby research for any amount of money. Many of the contentious topics in the hobby are not actually a data problem, people just don't believe them because they don't want to. Once you are convinced of something it's very difficult to change that belief. Our cognitive biases make us more readily accept information that confirms our biases than information that does not. Some people are worse at this than others, but every person has at least some built-in resistance to new information that challenges what they believe.

I would have an incredibly empty and hollow feeling knowing I was doing research that people dismiss simply because they don't want to believe it.
but what about the people like me who are willing to at least try something once :D?
I think it would be nice to be paid to debunk or prove a lot of the things in this thread. But if I were to do this without pay, it would be purely for science and because I want to know. If I prove or disprove something, then it will be for me....whether that benefits other people, well.....¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

I agree that it’s incredibly hard to change a person’s point of view. Although, it’s always nice to metaphorically hit them with a book of facts, regardless of if they listen or not....

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Nothing good happens fast in reefing" or something like that. People post that all the time like The Lord Said it?

Ever try to clock the speed of an ammonia atom being up taken by the gills of a Tridacna clam?

Nothing, is really that fast?

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Zoas like dirty water"

some agree, some agree to a point but say they dont "thrive" in it.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a myth, but more of a argument..

I did the “you can’t have an anemonie in your tank on day one of a brand new nothing added setup”. (No quick start)
Two years and three splits later, it’s still thriving and loving the tank. It went from quarter size to roughly 1foot across the oral disc)

(Key is to know saltwater tanks and how to correct issues quickly and correctly before you try this!)

EB7A3289-DC43-45B7-A9F8-CBDFA2332AAF.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

agreed. Quick starting is no more unethical than using fiber internet to download a song in three seconds vs dialup taking a year per song lol

the passing of time always speeds things up. Controlling nh3 is the easy part, fish disease control now that’s the challenge. Instant start anemone above as well.

i think ability to quick start is good for the hobby, not bad. It’s simply an ability. Whether or not someone is able to keep an animal alive varies person to person, but that’s independent from a permissible start date

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back