What wrong with my royal grama basslet

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m “NEWer” to the hobby but I know a good amount in two years I have a forty gallon, basic stuff a diy tank a hangin back filter with colony,marine light, live rock the hole tomato, but recently I noticed my royal grama basslet is been weird. It all started when I but a fake coral I. The bake made of plastic I washed it before hand then thought nothing of it. A day later the royal grama basslet what I the bottom of the tank it looked dead. I try to fish it out but it spring back up to the top of the t am then back to the bottom. I did a water test nitrate was high so I thought it poisoned my tank.

I did a 40% water change and moved the rock around it t let depre move around. An hour later he’s fine eating normal. But now every once in awhile he goes missing and is behind the heater, and when he gets out he just lies on the floor, till he just swims away. So My question is should I be worried I don’t know much in this behavior the vendor I got it form was one of the best were I live and all his fish are alway healthy. So what should I do how should I treat the fish, or is it just a something these type of fish do?
image.jpg
CB70791E-68E0-4540-AB0B-6434C246588C.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I’m “NEWer” to the hobby but I know a good amount in two years I have a forty gallon, basic stuff a diy tank a hangin back filter with colony,marine light, live rock the hole tomato, but recently I noticed my royal grama basslet is been weird. It all started when I but a fake coral I. The bake made of plastic I washed it before hand then thought nothing of it. A day later the royal grama basslet what I the bottom of the tank it looked dead. I try to fish it out but it spring back up to the top of the t am then back to the bottom. I did a water test nitrate was high so I thought it poisoned my tank.

I did a 40% water change and moved the rock around it t let depre move around. An hour later he’s fine eating normal. But now every once in awhile he goes missing and is behind the heater, and when he gets out he just lies on the floor, till he just swims away. So My question is should I be worried I don’t know much in this behavior the vendor I got it form was one of the best were I live and all his fish are alway healthy. So what should I do how should I treat the fish, or is it just a something these type of fish do?
image.jpg
CB70791E-68E0-4540-AB0B-6434C246588C.jpeg
Seems lethargic and may be due to leaching from the resin or ammonia and nitrate
What is age of tank and type of filtration used may be inadequate leading to high numbers as you have mechanical filtration but lack chemical and biological filtration

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fishology

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems lethargic and may be due to leaching from the resin or ammonia and nitrate
What is age of tank and type of filtration used may be inadequate leading to high numbers as you have mechanical filtration but lack chemical and biological filtration
My tank is around a year old it’s very new I have a marienland filter for 70gallons I did add a colony of cyclops and the other little crustaceans I can take a picture to show you.
image.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fishology

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The weirdest is he’s or she’s the only one like that no other fish has do that before or asks that way

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My tank is around a year old it’s very new I have a marienland filter for 70gallons I did add a colony of cyclops and the other little crustaceans I can take a picture to show you.
image.jpg
The bio wheel in the filter has a small surface area
I sold these at my pet store and they are nice supplemental, not primary units
Best would be a hang on refugium and even hang on skimmer such as ice cap K2-100 for effective water quality management

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fishology

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bio wheel in the filter has a small surface area
I sold these at my pet store and they are nice supplemental, not primary units
Best would be a hang on refugium and even hang on skimmer such as ice cap K2-100 for effective water quality management
I was looking into some I was thinking of adding in a Refugium as there not a lot of area for a bigger colony than what I have, do you think this could work as one
F1519C17-B579-4AAC-A0F4-65EB3546BD9A.png

Upvote 0

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine hides a lot but can also be a tube swimming all over the place yours looks lethargic

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back