AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what does it look under actinic?

20170212_180807.jpg

Not quite actinic, but blue enough to see. I was also told that their pictures were all taken under 20,000k, which is a load of garbage.

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these posts make me scared to order online lol lots of good shops here in Denver but I can understand areas that don't making online shopping pretty much the only option. I sympathize for you. hugs

zoanutty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming the vendor did not photoshop the pic to heck, unless you have the exact water parameters and lighting the vendor has, it is pretty silly to expect a coral to look exactly like it is pictured. That is why most vendors list their params and the lighting the pic was taken under. It is up to the buyer to be informed.

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heavy sigh... for the second time in 2 days, an order I placed for a torch from extremecorals has been declined due to the specimen not being healthy. I do appreciate that he doesn't want to send out a sick coral, but don't post it online until it's healthy. I ordered this hammer instead. It'll be here tomorrow.
fc81d74858cdf727dc2317780cdce03d.png

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heavy sigh... for the second time in 2 days, an order I placed for a torch from extremecorals has been declined due to the specimen not being healthy. I do appreciate that he doesn't want to send out a sick coral, but don't post it online until it's healthy. I ordered this hammer instead. It'll be here tomorrow.
fc81d74858cdf727dc2317780cdce03d.png

With it being a Euphyllia I'll bet it isn't as bad as my order from them was, it only looks like it has blue in it because their photo is so saturated and under actinic. Update us when you get it please.

Also, the "it looks different in your system because it's not exactly the same" argument doesn't work very well either. It won't immediately look different unless your lighting is drastically different, and parameters mean jack in the short term of what it looks like as long as they're stable and within the "correct" range. Just my thoughts based on experience.

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With it being a Euphyllia I'll bet it isn't as bad as my order from them was, it only looks like it has blue in it because their photo is so saturated and under actinic. Update us when you get it please.

Also, the "it looks different in your system because it's not exactly the same" argument doesn't work very well either. It won't immediately look different unless your lighting is drastically different, and parameters mean jack in the short term of what it looks like as long as they're stable and within the "correct" range. Just my thoughts based on experience.

I've been keeping reef tanks since the late eighties. I'm completely okay with the over saturated images because I expect it. So long as I can recreate the images myself with using blue light and no photoshopping, I'm content and understand it's just how things are. If these photos didn't sell Coral, nobody would use them. I've ordered MANY times from Cornbred. Lots of people say his coral photos don't resemble reality, but every single piece I've ordered from him, I can recreate the exact same image with blue light, meaning his photos are accurate.
a1819d6cfed6ba9063bc96d68d16cd2e.jpg

This was my previous tank...
2734b3ce1f4ce0acbe5e480ce2cc0441.jpg

Last edited:

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even when the shipping is long because of a UPS delay?
They may fade a bit if in the bag for 2 days but won't turn brown. That fade will happen hours after you have removed them from the bag. Not immediately upon opening. I have seen many shipments of corals that have been in the bag for 2 days coming to the supplier. They were vividly colored.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 152 43.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 123 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 53 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back