Whats going on ? Help !!!!!!

Richard savage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
having a few issues getting some of my torches, zoas, and flower pot to extend anymore, there aren't any fish in the aquarium anymore so i'm only feeding reefroids, here are my levels, going to do another water change in a few days, filtration starts through some filter floss into a small bag of charcoal, into a bag of chemi-pure into bio balls and finally through cheato. is my problem my water being to clean ?
CAL - 450
ALk - 10.4
Mag - 1200
N02 - 0
N03 - 0
Phos - 0
Ammonia - 0
salinity - 1.024

Attachments

• IMG_3760.MOV
    13.7 MB

Salps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get phosphate up to around .02-.05 and nitrates to around 5 pmm. Corals need some nutrients to be happy.

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ghost feed. Bring up nutrient levels and make sure your tank doesn't do a reverse cycle

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on too low of a level for nutrients in your tank. Also, with higher DkH, you want a higher nutrient level and lights. Have you considered dosing PO4 and NO3?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem as you. For 6mos, Nothing really growing, polyps looking drab. Corals just looking decent but stagnant....

I have a recent post asking if Amino Acids are worth dosing. Heres what I've updated just yesterday
* Two 1/16th teaspoons of ReefRoids
* I TURN OFF ALL WATER MOVEMENT 5MINS AFTER ADDING THE ABOVE FOR 2 HRS so all those particulates fall, trickle down from above

* removed my filter socks
* turned down my skimmer by 25% on the dial

Not sure which of the above actions is doing what....

But I'm seeing areas where I was convinced my zoas had melted.... they're now REGENERATING opening tiny polyps!!!

I'm seeing some AMAZING rebounding coming about

Last edited:
OP
OP
Richard savage

Richard savage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to test N03 and Phos? Also what lights are you using and intensity?
I am using the red sea test kits and i am running with the AI hydra 26 ill post settings below

Light settings .PNG

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the red sea test kits and i am running with the AI hydra 26 ill post settings below

Light settings .PNG

Just wanted to make sure you weren't using API test kits.

So like others have advised, you need to get your tank a bit more dirtier to raise NO3, and PO4. Depending on the depth of your tank, you might want to increase the intensity of the light as well if your saying that your zoas are stretching.

OP
OP
Richard savage

Richard savage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to make sure you weren't using API test kits.

So like others have advised, you need to get your tank a bit more dirtier to raise NO3, and PO4. Depending on the depth of your tank, you might want to increase the intensity of the light as well if your saying that your zoas are stretching.
First off thank you for your help and feed back, secondly i have a coralife biocube 32 the light sits a foot above the water and from light to sand bed is about 3 feet, what intestity should i raise on the spectrum? and as far as additives will amino acids be sufficient enough to dirty my tank or at-least get them the lacking nutrients ? I use reef roids about twice a week and dose cal and alk daily.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a couple of things, just not all at once.

If you could lower your light to about 10 inches from the water line, I would. If that's not possible, then bump the intensity up by 5%, and wait 2-3 weeks to see how your corals respond.

Next thing would be to turn your skimmer offline for a good portion of the day to allow the water to get a bit dirtier. With no fish in the aquarium your water is just to clean.

If you run with filter socks, you can remove that as well and just allow the nutrients to come back into your tank.

Just make sure not to do these all at once. I would first start off with shutting the skimmer off (if you have one). If you dont, then remove filter sock.

But the probably the best thing you could do for your tank if to get a couple of fish. Corals and poop are friends!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back