What's irritating my Zoas?

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been slowly dwindling over the last couple weeks. Some are stretched out, so I tried moving them up. I thought I saw some algae on a closed polyp, so I did a peroxide dip last night. Here's a photo from the dip container, followed by a photo from tonight.

IMG_2529.JPG

IMG_2534.JPG

These have always been the healthiest coral in my tank, now they're the only ones that don't look fantastic.

Image1484953550.456349.jpg

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I hit post, I noticed this. Looks like the same as what's on the zoas. I've never seen it in the tank before.

Image1484953661.896480.jpg

Brown web like algae. Long strings and air bubbles. Please don't say the D word!

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not look like cyno. I had never heard of bryopsis, but a quick google says it's a green algae. This is definitely brown. I'll try to get a better pic.

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say cyanobacteria as well. It may be related to water parameters or lighting. Maybe try moving the zoas to a lower light area. You can also take a turkey baster and blow off the zoas. See if cleaning them off helps. If not then maybe try moving them. :)

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I moved a powerhead to aim at that spot, and moved the zoas to a bit more flow also.

I also found a problem with my radion. Ecosmart live was programmed for a 7 hours at 40%, but there was some problem programming the light itself. I didn't notice until my first day off when the light came on at 7am instead of noon. I'm guessing intensity was much higher too.

The peroxide did was a good way to go then, huh? You think they'll bounce back with lower light and higher flow?

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally just try to move them to lower light and use something to quickly blow the cyano off them like a turkey baster or put them kind of close to a power head for a second to clean them. Then I'd put them in a lower light, medium flow area so they can recover. I'd avoid dipping personally unless I saw something on them that made me think dipping was needed because it will stress them more. Just my opinion though. :)

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is brown in the picture like dinos. It could be from high silicates if so. Where do you get your water from?

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the brown only on the zoas or is it in other places in the tank?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resembles dino, not going to say that is what it absolutely is but that is what it looked like when I had an outbreak. Zoanthids in my tank were definitely affected and I saw a lot of die off.

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resembles dino, not going to say that is what it absolutely is but that is what it looked like when I had an outbreak. Zoanthids in my tank were definitely affected and I saw a lot of die off.

I really hope not. I haven't seen any come back yet, zoas are still closed though.

SeanD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if its the Dino's, they would look like they were gone when the lights came on then be everywhere by evening. That was just my experience. I turned lights to just a few hours a day and water change water change water change. I even added bio pellets to help get the nitrates and phosphates out

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally just try to move them to lower light and use something to quickly blow the cyano off them like a turkey baster or put them kind of close to a power head for a second to clean them. Then I'd put them in a lower light, medium flow area so they can recover. I'd avoid dipping personally unless I saw something on them that made me think dipping was needed because it will stress them more. Just my opinion though. :)

Done

IMG_2545.JPG

IMG_2546.JPG

Sir Pat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the dino/cyno (brown slime) isn't on them, they look like they will bounce back. Once looking happy again, slowely acclimate to more light again, so they don't stretch and dwindle.

I always see it take polyps time to open up completely after a peroxide dip. What methods did you use and at what dilution? How long were they dipped for? Ect.

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree looks like the dinos I had/have. My zoas did the same thing when I had outbreaks. I used vibrant but it took a real long time to beat them down. Plus I'm not sure they aren't going to come back at any moment.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like dino to me.

For peroxide dip i put about 20 ml into about 2 cups tank water for about a minute. Don't let the bubbling get to crazy and should be fine. Idk if i would do peroxide for this though.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back