Whats something you wish you DIDN'T know about reefing?

Crabs McJones

Regional Reef Manager (AKA Revhtree's Boss)
View Badges
Joined
Jul 24, 2017
Messages
33,607
Reaction score
153,960
Location
Wisconsin
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I see threads all the time about things people wish they knew about reefing. Or threads related to "if you could go back and give yourself one piece of advice what would it be" ect...
What I want to know is, What about reefing do you wish you DIDN'T know? Is there even anything? Interested to see the responses.
 
I see threads all the time about things people wish they knew about reefing. Or threads related to "if you could go back and give yourself one piece of advice what would it be" ect...
What I want to know is, What about reefing do you wish you DIDN'T know? Is there even anything? Interested to see the responses.
I’m new to reef keeping and so many people are mean and critical like there’s not more than one way to achieve a healthy tank. I wish I didn’t meet so many people who think I’m dumb for asking questions like : how do I avoid the ugly phase. I would get answers like your tank is ugly and you can’t avoid the ugly phase just go to freshwater if your going to lazy
 
Upvote 2
I’m new to reef keeping and so many people are mean and critical like there’s not more than one way to achieve a healthy tank. I wish I didn’t meet so many people who think I’m dumb for asking questions like : how do I avoid the ugly phase. I would get answers like your tank is ugly and you can’t avoid the ugly phase just go to freshwater if your going to lazy
I hope you're not experiencing that here!
 
Upvote 0
How few Reefers actually make it past a year.
It's crazy how people jump into the hobby, all excited to get a tank and everything, and then shut the tank down barely a year into it.
 
Upvote 0
I’m new to reef keeping and so many people are mean and critical like there’s not more than one way to achieve a healthy tank. I wish I didn’t meet so many people who think I’m dumb for asking questions like : how do I avoid the ugly phase. I would get answers like your tank is ugly and you can’t avoid the ugly phase just go to freshwater if your going to lazy
Hopefully your experience here has not been that way! If it has been report the people who have been saying those words and the staff will handle it promptly!
 
Upvote 0
It's crazy how people jump into the hobby, all excited to get a tank and everything, and then shut the tank down barely a year into it.
And that's about the time tanks really start to settle in, for most anyway.
 
Upvote 0
Hopefully your experience here has not been that way! If it has been report the people who have been saying those words and the staff will handle it promptly!
It was on Reddit and facebook everyone I met here is surprisingly nice lol that’s why I’m only on here. I even met a fish mentor here who is helping me daily now!
 
Upvote 0
It was on Reddit and facebook everyone I met here is surprisingly nice lol that’s why I’m only on here
Oh good, thought I was going to have to go momma bear on some members :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
 
Upvote 0
How much room it takes to store all the stuff I buy and use for a few months and then keep around just in case I need it someday.
I'm an equipment hoarder. I bought all of my setups came as used plug and play systems with extras. I've also been known to but used equipment lots because I wanted a couple of items, or because they were stupid cheap. Like I didn't currently have a use for 4 AI52HD lights but for $150 for all 4 I couldn't pass it up. I have so much extra gear...skimmers, lights, powerheads, rock, all kinds of stuff.
 
Upvote 0
I wish I didn't know how few of the animals we collect from the ocean actually make it to our tanks and thrive for more than a few weeks. Attrition numbers from ocean -> 1 year in a tank is pretty extreme
 
Upvote 0
It's depressing how many types of fish--after working hard to get them quarantined/established-- only have short 5-year life spans. 60 months is not a lot of time to enjoy a nice fish.
 
Upvote 0
It was on Reddit and facebook everyone I met here is surprisingly nice lol that’s why I’m only on here
Yeah, I know what you mean. I’m in southeast MI too. I even started one of the fb groups, but got tired of constantly having to babysit people. So I gave it away and left. You’ll find that even though arguments may happen here, they are usually good spirited and not personal attacks. Welcome to reefing and R2R!
 
Upvote 0
Yeah, I know what you mean. I’m in southeast MI too. I even started one of the fb groups, but got tired of constantly having to babysit people. So I gave it away and left. You’ll find that even though arguments may happen here, they are usually good spirited and not personal attacks. Welcome to reefing and R2R!
Yes I much more prefer this community !
 
Upvote 0
Is the aiptasia in the room with you, right now?
Snoop Jim Carrey GIF by Laff
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 21 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new