What's the deal with T5 lighting in this LED era? | Reef FAQs

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Here we go, Reefers!

It's Wednesday and another batch of Reef FAQs are out in the world. In this one, Ryan discusses why T5 lighting is still one of the supreme lighting options for our reef tanks.

So, will we see a future of LEDs that behave like T5 lights? Let's find out what that means in today's episode!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
All lights are in. T5 are still good delivery of uv spectrums but bulbs have to be replaced periodically. LED has many pods of different spectrums which can be controlled.
Lights are in the hobby a matter of spectrum, preference and results. Great video !!

tehmadreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Cos they are the best of halide and led all in one tube and are plug n play.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Cos they are the best of halide and led all in one tube and are plug n play.
Ive noticed, Halides are on a big comeback. Sometimes, hard to beat " Old school". Todays halides are more efficient to run and not as HOT as the previous versions

tehmadreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
I agree to an extent. I'd have halides myself if I didnt live in south Florida and i dont want to mess with chiller. I have straight T5's as I sold off the LEDs.

ScottR

Surfing somewhere.....
View Badges
Reaction score
I bought into the whole LED thing and now run a mixture of T5/LED but I am going to run a full T5 tank soon. LED is going back in the box it came in.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
I wish LEDs or their controllers had an acclimation program so that the intensity is lowered and then automatically raised over a set amount of time for corals to become used to their new environment.

Edit: and my new build is going T5 and Kessil.

Crabs McJones

View Badges
Reaction score
I will admit, I was a big LED fan entering the hobby. And dont get me wrong LEDs can grow coral, the ecotechs have proven that time and time again, but my biggest jump in growth was after adding T5s. Currently running t5's with hydra 26s. Nothing can beat that blanket coverage and spectral blending of t5s. I'm sure LEDs will get there one day :)

Bouncingsoul39

View Badges
Reaction score
I've always run Halide or T5. Gave LED a shot and SPS growth is slllloooowwwwww. The SPS color is good, just the growth rate itself is slow. I will be going either full T5 or LED/T5 very soon. The shadowing from LED bugs me too, there's literally a brown line on my coral where it shadowed itself. Yuck.

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
I wish LEDs or their controllers had an acclimation program so that the intensity is lowered and then automatically raised over a set amount of time for corals to become used to their new environment.

Edit: and my new build is going T5 and Kessil.
Red Sea do this on their ReefLed's it's all done through ReefBeat the app.

Bmwm235i

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I went from T5 to LED and back to T5 on the current new build. I did add some led strips for shimmer only. Ask me what my most successful tank was... My first T5

specwar

View Badges
Reaction score
Im running a budget combo of a Coralife CFL Actinic/Magenta and my Current PRO Led. So far its a winner. I find that the T5's fill in with more glow than straight LED. I run the CFL for the peak period daily on a seperate timer than the Current LEDs. I am going to do the same in my frag tank of combo. T5 Saturation of Light. LED focused Control.

hart24601

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I got excited with all the T5 talk and got them a couple years ago (after having them much longer before that). Just hated them. Back to LEDs. Needed to have the fixture right over the tank or get light in your eyes sitting next to tank which I don't find attractive or a canopy which I don't like even more. Someone got a great deal on t5 fixture.

Have you ever been accused of talking to much about your tank?

• Yes (tell us about it)

Votes: 191 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 166 46.5%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
TCK Corals