What's the deal with Zoanthids? Huh

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure ill regret saying this but what's the deal with zoas? I get that they're quite pretty, little things but this obsession with slight genetic mutations and slight variations...I mean these things have become a sort of accepted currency. is it as simply as the desire for obscure exclusivity? Or something more complex? I mean the price swing from a modest sum all the way to stratospheric prices based solely upon the width and placement of a tiny black line... I'm asking earnestly. I'm not meaning to offend.... on the other hand should you feel offended.

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant colors, different variations of patterns, some big some small&tall, Palys and then there are zoas , different morphs. so manny different kinds .So much research you learn new things about them Everyday.

im a zoanut myself and i love them and cant get enough. just when i think i seen it all or had them all, there out of the blue comes a new one i haven't seen or had yet.

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically what I'm hearing is that this is a virus of some sort? airborne? Or is it more like the affliction of the alcoholic? with the reckless spending this could be a psychological disorder of some sort?

Aqua fire/medic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are like Pokemon, gotta catch them all!!!!!!!

Well maybe not, but you get the point :)

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha i agree its crazy how some of the prices swing so much just from a line thats slightly different lol.I love the looks of some of them high end zoas but i cant get myself to pay 100-200 dollars a head for a zoa.When theres many many great lookin zoas for 10-30 a head and some that look better then the high end zoas lol.But they are awesome corals with amazing colors just cant get over the price tag on some of them

Ajk'sreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically what I'm hearing is that this is a virus of some sort? airborne? Or is it more like the affliction of the alcoholic? with the reckless spending this could be a psychological disorder of some sort?

LOL if I go into a LFS store and they have let's say a super nice chalice and some really sweet zoas no mater the price on eater or ill Go with the zoas 95% of the time. they are very addicting once u get 1 u well get hooked.

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with skinz, once you get a few named ones you literakly want more and more. Most grow relatively fast and most are pretty hardy. Just look at joshporksandwics avatar and you will see why its so easy for people to get the bug haha. I have seductions and am in love with them. Only thing keeping me from getting other zoas or PEs is space

Last edited:

11purewater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the day(I'm sure some of you can relate)a blue zoanthid was the holy grail!I got my first named zoa 1year ago Candy Apple red.I've looked at this thing in pictures for 5 years prior hoping one day...one day...and after buying tons of named Zoas,I can still stare at that one for hours.I think Zoanthids have a special place in any reefers heart because it was the first"Real live coral"they bought.:canada:

Norcalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we are talking about collectorites (an addiction to collecting) in general. I mean there is a point that you get good enough that it's no longer about keeping the coral alive, but keeping the best color you can. I don't have a big tank and I'm not going to put just any coral in my tank anymore. I know I can keep what I want, the question is do I want it or not. Once you get to the point that you want something that only a fellow reefer can truly appreciate then the collectorites sets in. I mean the stick people get just as addicted to sticks as us zoa people get addicted to polyps. I think the other thing is the resell value of it. It makes us be able to make that excuse that "we're going to make our money back on this one" and so we don't look at the actual price as much.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like zoas too - mostly no names but a few named ones as well
They are hardy, very colorful, glow under actinics, spread and fill in spaces to make a reef look filled out, and countless other qualities that attract reefers to them. Much less fussy then my true favorite sps

I do agree though that a lot of hype goes into naming and pricing but then the answer is simple - don't buy them.

Sps and lps have the same problem so you can't single out zoas.
One Acropora morph cost 10$ and basically the same thing 100$ because it has a name or some lineage. Look at chalices - same thing.

I do agree that the subtle differences between this morph and that are a bit out of my league - but to each their own

Just enjoy what you like and allow others the same, too many get caught up in the money and forget to enjoy their tanks

Midwestclownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got started with zoas because from what I understand, you can get one as a hitchhiker, name it something ridiculous, and charge hundreds per polyp...it's like winning the lotto!

Seriously though, get an utter chaos paly and try not to get more zoas. I dare ya...

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just like every hobby, there's always something you start off with. Grab a rasta first. And then you grab all of those super nice and bright ones like bam bams, sunny ds, etc. And then if you start to really like it, then you start looking for other things and morphs you haven't really noticed as being nice such as Utter Chaos, purple hornets, etc. And then you slowly move your way up into the more collector area, pieces that you wouldn't even consider worth the price until you get there. Of course you wouldn't appreciate/understand the prices if you don't already have a foundation for liking zoas, lol!

I never understood the chalice game and why anyone would want one. They literally look like disks, what's the fun and appeal in that? Look like over flowing blobs that just grow weirdly and don't even look natural when I think of coral reefs. You just have to grab one for yourself (get a nice one at least) and then you'll see where that goes. Same with SPS, I told myself when I first started I'd never even bother with them. Who would want to look at something that just sits there? Tried it one day and watching it fun was so much fun and all the colors too. More than half of my display is sticks now. :squigglemouth:

Hard to explain. Just grab a few zoas and if you see them grow really well it's very hard to not want more.

Last edited:

zoalover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree with skinz completely...once you get bitten by the bug thats yet

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back