What's the deal with Zoanthids? Huh

Zoanut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See that's what I don't get: collecting corals. I buy what I like and fits with my tank. I prefer to focus on the biology. I think this is why so many peoples tanks look like frag tanks now instead of nice big colonies. It is also the reason so many people leave the hobby so fast now.. They spend all this crazy money on the little itty bitty frags and then they die because they never really learn the biology of things. I have had friends leave because they spent so much on their corals and when the inevitable crash or partial crash comes they are out of the hobby because they spent so much money and are devastated. Part of the issue is mixing corals that don't belong anywhere near each other or overstocking a tank with different corals and allelopathy kicks in. I am not talking about spending money on that prize piece or peices, I am just talking the collecting. i just think it is the wrong way to look at this hobby, this isnt stamps or coins its animals.

This hobby means many things, to many people. You have your goals and reasons, nothing wrong with that. I like to collect and cultivate/propagate. Thats what makes me smile :)

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This hobby means many things, to many people. You have your goals and reasons, nothing wrong with that. I like to collect and cultivate/propagate. Thats what makes me smile :)

There is nothing wrong with propagating. I have a frag tank... Well its empty right now because I have a better one on the way.. Its a way to trade, give away or help pay for the hobby or even as small business this hobby needs that.. That really was not my point.

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a really pricey zoa I actually am thinking about! who woulda thunk it?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371419940.970297.jpg

huuta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure that is a zoa?look more like a blasto to me.A really nice one at that

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rainbow blasto* but trust me, get some CAR's, Pulsar's, Blue Agaves, Sunny D's, Rainbow zoas, or any of them, You might think that the pictures make them look 10x better but I promise you People like Josh represent the zoas completely with their pictures. I would have never imagined that a small little coral would look so amazing Untill I had a couple polyps of Candy apple Reds. They are simply stunning, and where as most corals are only found in single corlors or blander colors, zoas can be found in every color combination out there, its rediculous.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the deal with baseball cards, cars, coins, rocks, fossils, antiques, etc? It's just another type of collection. Some are better than others. Some are rarer than others. Some are real, some are look-a-likes. Some you just buy for the name. If there were not so many things to think about it would be boring.

If you like them, then collect them. If not, collect something else.

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just curious about people's motivation. I wasn't implying that you shouldn't collect. Was just curious. I used to collect baseball cards as a kid. For Zoas/Polys theres no "becketts" guide... I just find the pricing structure/branding to be so odd and complicated.... and disorganized. It just fascinates me so I asked. I get the desire to collect. That's not what I was inquiring about.

What's the deal with baseball cards, cars, coins, rocks, fossils, antiques, etc? It's just another type of collection. Some are better than others. Some are rarer than others. Some are real, some are look-a-likes. Some you just buy for the name. If there were not so many things to think about it would be boring.

If you like them, then collect them. If not, collect something else.

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guide for price and demand is rarity.. Take the Krakatoa polyp that was just released. One polyp sold for over$500.. Purely for looks and rarity, with a super high demand. Its all what people put their on price on. If i was a multimillionaire i wouldnt bother paying that much.

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right but nobody has any idea of exactly how rare something is. It's totally subjective. It's not like there is a factory printing X number or this or that. I do get paying more for rarity... it's just... sigh nevermind. I understand economics and supply/demand and rarity etc...

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time i come home with a new z/p or a chalice frag my wife always tells me " Remember when you started and you had to have the biggest corals and now look at these little things that you collect now"..... I used to think people were nuts when they were spending $200-$300 per eye for a watermelon chalice 2-3 years ago It is true I used to like having giant Lobos, cynarias, scolies, elegance corals, torches, hammers you know, things that move in the flow. You name it and I have had it before but now I like to get these single little flowers and watch them grow... The growing part is fun for me... Yea I have spent some crazy money in the past to get things going but the payout with seeing everything grow in the end is a cool feeling... Especially when you dropped big money on a single polyp and now have a full colony of them. Makes a cool conversation piece when people come to the house.

Last edited:

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The z and p bug really hit me a year or so ago. I had a few zoas that grew and grew from 4 or 5 years back and I liked them more and more as the colonies got bigger and bigger. Once I got 40-50 polyp colonies going the real bug hit. The colors are so vivid and gorgeous. So I started collecting various ones over the last year or so. Now I have about 20 varieties, not that many, but enough. As they grow the colonies just get nicer and nicer. Just like any avid collector of anything, there is always something nicer around the corner, hahahahaha. It's a bit addicting but it makes me happy and I work hard to afford my corals so its all good :D

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I just went and counted, I have about 80 different types of Z's n P's now... Does that make me an addict?

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all! 50 makes you an addict according to the MMRPI (Minnesota Multiphasic Reefers Personality Inventory) guide of disorders. 80 classifies you as unstable. Go to a meeting.

Haha I just went and counted, I have about 80 different types of Z's n P's now... Does that make me an addict?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back