What's the dumbest thing you have done in the hobby

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all make mistakes, but what are some things you have done in the past (such as when you were new) that you thought "Why the heckin heck did I do that????" I find these stories funny so I figured I'd ask you all what is something you have done with your tank that was not so smart.

Henressy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was mixing salt for a water change for over 24 hrs then in the morning I went to do a test before and then me being a newbie I didn’t cover the new mixed tank water I dropped API test tube with chemicals into the new reef tank
I was so ticked I had to do a whole another batch !!!!!!

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Listened to others' advice without doing my own research when just getting started. I was told "you HAVE to have a skimmer" "you NEED your nitrates and phosphates to be 0" and then BAM, fighting dinos for the next 2 months. Keep a skeptical mind, people want to help but they're not always helpful.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Accidentally mistook Coral RX concentrated dip bottle for amino acids...

Even with running carbon the tank smelled like Pine-sol for weeks... ;Facepalm

Spilled 30 gallons of salt water on the living room carpet.

I did something similar on my laminate floor... ;Wacky :p

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long time ago I killed a wrasse that was in the sand. I thought that I had all of the fish out of the old tank and into the new tank. I drained all of the water out of the old tank and moved it to the garage to clean it "later". I didn't realize that I had not transferred it to the new display until it was too late. I still beat myself up over this. :(

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is dumb but also lazy — I got very lax on checking refractometer calibration. Long story short LPS and SPS corals began going south and I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why. As a last effort at figuring out the cause I thought, oh, just to be thorough let me just check the calibration on this refractometer… Discovered I’d let my salinity dip to 1.020 sg

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Procrastinating on getting water quality correct. Slow playing and being lazy about keeping water quality correct.
Not paying attention and making sure I turn the float valve back on after maintenance. Forgetting to make water.
Flooding fish room.
I do these things constantly lol

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is dumb but also lazy — I got very lax on checking refractometer calibration. Long story short LPS and SPS corals began going south and I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why. As a last effort at figuring out the cause I thought, oh, just to be thorough let me just check the calibration on this refractometer… Discovered I’d let my salinity dip to 1.020 sg
I gave this a thumbs up, but only because I'm sure I haven't calibrated my refractometer in a very long time and I'm 100% sure I'm not the only one. I greatly appreciate the reminder!

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago I was mixing salt into my ro di water. Later on I came back to test the saltinity. I keep my ro di in jerry cans, so its common for the hydrometer to float away. The hydro meter floated away, then I got some tweezers to catch the hydrometer, but then the disaster happens. I dropped the tweezers into the jerry can, and they sunk straight to the bottom. I new I was up for a challenge to get them out, because the can was half a metre tall, but the hole at the top is TINY. The 1st thing I did is I tried using my net, but the net did not fit in the hole. Then I tried my cleaning stick but it wasn't tall enough. I tried using a magnet to get it out, but that didn't work. At this point it had been 2 hours. I tried using one of those nets that onions and mandarins are stored in, that idea failed. At last I came up with the idea to pour out all the water into separate containers, and it worked, it took me 4 HOURS TO GET TWEEZERS OUT OF A CONTAINER!!!!!!!!

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave this a thumbs up, but only because I'm sure I haven't calibrated my refractometer in a very long time and I'm 100% sure I'm not the only one. I greatly appreciate the reminder!
Check it! It’s a hard lesson to learn, esp since it’s such a simple thing to do. I was beating myself up over that b/c I lost my first group of SPS and lps frags b/c of that laziness. It was about 6 frags in total :(

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a copperband for a 14 gallon biocube. My excuse is the LFS recommended it and it was my first year in the hobby 16 years ago.

I think we have all done something like that... I bought a Desjardini tang and promptly stuck it in my 20g tall tank. Tank had only been up for 1.5 months....

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we have all done something like that... I bought a Desjardini tang and promptly stuck it in my 20g tall tank. Tank had only been up for 1.5 months....
I about had to fist fight a couple customers when I worked at a fish store. Luckily we had display tanks with 10" sailfins and stuff so I could steer them over there, point to the tang and tell them they can't have that fish in their 40 breeder.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had an AIO before but I picked one up for my first saltwater tank. Never having had components like heaters hidden in a chamber before I would constantly forget they were back there when doing water changes. I can't tell you how many times I have forgotten to turn the darn heater off while doing a water change. A heater out of water is not good. Doh! Thankfully nothing happened but I finally bought a smart plug where now one tap of a button shuts everything off. :) If I hadn't purchased that I would probably still be forgetting to shut it off. LOL

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I killed a lot of corals by trusting a swing arm hydrometer. I couldn't figure out why they were dying and why my parameters were staying so low. Turned out that while my el-crapo hydrometer was reading 1.026, the SG was really around 1.009.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back