Whats the first thing people notice in YOUR tank?!?

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm from western wisconsin, most ppl don't even know what a coral is much less what they're looking at in my tank. I get a blank look when I tell them those colorful things aren't decorations but animals.
im sure thats an awesome feeling being able to show them that

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My better halfs mother and neighbour have said quite a few times " aw isnt your corals beautiful" i then tell them i not got no corals yet and its dry rock structure that glued/ mortared together and again 2 weeks later " your corals coming along nicely turning red now,is it because the lights?)
I say yeah there still rocks and the red is diatoms.
They say aw yes i see it on glass also looks like someone smeared poo all over the glass ha ha
But my 3 year old daughter makes me laugh the most as maybe 20 times a day sees " moby the goby" and occasionally the pistol shrimp and its like first time she seeing it each time and gets so dang excited whispering and waving arms about and coming grabbing my arms whilst saying daddy daddy i seen something quick come look ha ha

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My better halfs mother and neighbour have said quite a few times " aw isnt your corals beautiful" i then tell them i not got no corals yet and its dry rock structure that glued/ mortared together and again 2 weeks later " your corals coming along nicely turning red now,is it because the lights?)
I say yeah there still rocks and the red is diatoms.
They say aw yes i see it on glass also looks like someone smeared poo all over the glass ha ha
But my 3 year old daughter makes me laugh the most as maybe 20 times a day sees " moby the goby" and occasionally the pistol shrimp and its like first time she seeing it each time and gets so dang excited whispering and waving arms about and coming grabbing my arms whilst saying daddy daddy i seen something quick come look ha ha
quite the supportive bunch. anytime my parents are over and theres a spot of algae i get an "ew" + a point bc they know its bc i was slacking off

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been eyeing those for awhile. i would assume you would say they're worth the price?
Yup.... mine can be a bulldozer though so be aware that way. Literally can move rocks from substrate, but imo worth the hassle....
Bout 50 bucks on a sale at LFS paid for this specimen about 1.5 years ago, roughly 7 inches. Now 14 or so... name is Goliath.
20210608_214813.jpg
20210608_214854.jpg

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once had one of my friends that's a marine biologist feed my fish when I was away and when she saw the tank she was like oh cool so are those plants alive. :oops: I kept ma cool and was like there actually invertebrates and yes they are alive. what the heck do you learn in marine biology?!?!?!

Disney River GIF

it is amazing how many marine biologists i work with, who are pioneers in their field, know 0 about reefs because they are studying things on the complete other side of the globe

Haha same! I know some marine biologists who only know about fish species and clams. That was super surprising :oops:

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The size of the tank ;Happy.

When you tell people that you have an aquarium, they are definitely surprised when they see a three meter long tank... it's just not what most non aquarium keepers imagine.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.9%
Back