What's the first thing your Thanksgiving guests will say about your reef tank?

How do you feel about showing off your tank to "non-reefing" guests?

• I really enjoy it

Votes: 156 32.5%
  • I like it if they are interested

Votes: 242 50.4%
  • I really don't care either way

Votes: 46 9.6%
  • I don't like showing my tank to people who don't understand it

Votes: 21 4.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 3.1%

• Total voters

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"aw you have a nemo fish"
"Which one is freshwater and which one is saltwater?"
"That's really nice. Where's your bathroom?"

If they look at it for more than two minutes, I will show them the fishroom and talk about the work that goes into it.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not having guests over this year, but I usually hear:

“are those things alive?“ when they see my coral. And

”you should get a Dory” because none of my guests ever like my wrasses :rolleyes:

But my sump crab usually interests them.

8B960770-A125-40A8-A0A3-3AD79ECBCA83.jpeg
That is a cool crab. What is he?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a cool crab. What is he?
Thanks! It’s a type of mithrax crab that came as a hitchhiker on my FL live rock. It became too destructive in my tank the bigger it got so now it lives on some extra live rock in my sump.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that most family and friends have seen the tank. They may go take a quick look when I’m not looking because if I catch them I’ll start a 2 hr conversation about nitrate and phosphates add in a little flow and par, then talk about how many heads were on the plug when I got it and what flow rate my uv is running... it’s about here I notice the blank look staring thru me- with a polite half smile while they are slowly taking one step after another away from me... ... then I’m left alone to admire my tank. Mission accomplished :cool:

Justin Swinney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The small children in the family are amazed. My wife’s family always have to stare at it for a while. My family if I say something about the tank they just shrug it off like “oh cool” so it’s been hit or miss

Sudaien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's have some fun today!

Thanksgiving, as you all know, is coming up Thursday and many of you may be having family over to eat and enjoy the holiday. Most of our guests will probably be "non-reefing" people so you never know how they will respond, what will catch their attention first or what they will say! Of course being passionate about our aquariums we're going to want to point out some cool coral or fish to them and want them to focus on certain particulars in our tank so what will you tell them?

1. What do you think your Thanksgiving guests will say first when they see your aquarium?

2. What will you bring to their attention first that you think they are going to be interested in?

see my tank.jpg
I agree ... The first thing every single person will say assuming you have one, This look it's Dori.. or look it's Nemo...

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef is not even a year old with some recent fish casualties. 60 some odd little frags in a 65g tank. Nice specimens and macro shots, but the overall effect is not very reef like.

Everybody loves the male emerald crab, the giant Trachyphyllia, and the Clownfish.

SunshineNinja

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having guests over always reminds me how cool the hobby is. It's easy for me to focus on the things I need to improve with my tank and get frustrated that it's never "perfect". But when people come over and you see their eyes drift towards the tank and they light up all excited and start asking questions it makes me really happy haha. And I remember why I love having a piece of the ocean in my home!

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What do you think your Thanksgiving guests will say first when they see your aquarium?

Most of my guests have seen the tank, family comes over all the time, We have a new 5 month old baby so they come quite often ( more than i would like) but my family isn't all that close for the most part, It's my wife's family. They like that tank, most would like to have one if it wasn't for the upkeep. i tell them "just come over and enjoy mine, it's less work for you."

2. What will you bring to their attention first that you think they are going to be interested in?

the 5 month old....

20201101_142058.jpg

Last edited:

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going over to my sister's house this year. I wish my small apartment was big enough to host Thanksgiving. That way I could show off my setup.

When I have guests over though, I always try to show them my tank. They look for a little bit but that's about it. Goes to show that reefing isn't for everyone.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the tank:

“Is that a goldfish?”
Me: “that’s a cichlid.”

“Where are the fish?”
Me: “velvet.”

“That’s a beautiful coral.”
Me: “that’s a rock.”

“Clean your glass. There’s algae all over it!”
Me: “I did. Yesterday.

Hellothere12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say Other because
Yes it is awesome when people show interest and you could start talking about it but if they're showing interest and don't know anything I'm not looking to talk to someone for hours! And also I found people stop listening after 5 minutes they're not that interested they just think it looks cool.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back