Whats the salinity at your LFS?

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have never tested the salinity of the coral tanks at my lfs for over 10 years now thinking the corals will be kept at 1.025-1.026. I would sometimes just drop them in the tank pro problems. Sometimes drip for 30 mins. I know the fish are kept at a low salinity to save money on salt but i got a shock when i tested coral tank water from two shops today. One was 1.015 and another 1.018. I didn’t believe it so I tested with a second refractometer and its the same. I calibrated them and tested again, same. Can corals live at that salinity? The corals in the shops have been there for months to a year already. Its basically the same salinity the fish tanks are too.

Curious what salinity your Lfs keeps their coral tanks at.

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
curious what salinity your Lfs keeps their coral tanks at.
My lfs keeps 1.023 for corals and 1.016 for fishes.
Corals needs 1.024-1.026 salinity for survival but some can live as low as 1.016 as I hv kept them in my tank and i keep Salinity at 1.016 but in that range, your coralline algae will suffer so, it is more harm than good.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs keeps 1.023 for corals and 1.016 for fishes.
Corals needs 1.024-1.026 salinity for survival but some can live as low as 1.016 as I hv kept them in my tank and i keep Salinity at 1.016 but in that range, your coralline algae will suffer so, it is more harm than good.
The lfs coral beds are covered in purple coralline. The pvc pipes and egg crates are covered. Im surprised the salinity is kept that low. Sps, lps, softies all in there too. All looking really good at that salinity. This lfs basically grows coral(mostly sps and zoas) to frag and sell. Means the corals are growing at that 1.015 lol

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back