Help: Ultra high salinity

  • Thread starter Thread starter cet98
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

cet98

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 19, 2009
Messages
267
Reaction score
121
Location
Home by the Sea
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I inherited a 20 gallon FOWLR aquarium with a pair of ocellaris clowns, a pajama cardinal, cleaner shrimp and two nassarius snails.
I transported everything including all the water from the tank.
When I got it all to my house and finally reset the aquarium up, I immediately took the basic tests just to see where it was at and to my shock, the salinity read 1.038 😱

And for the record, I have calibrated my refractometer as I already have 5 reef tanks I test on the regular.

My question now is, what is the quickest way, while still being safe, to decrease the salinity?

I know that I have safely acclimated new fish and inverts using the drip method from my LFS that were in 1.018 compared to my 1.026 within a few hours but does that hold true in this situation?

Any experienced, knowledgeable recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thank you 👍🏼
 
I personally would remove 2% of the water volume each day and replace with ro/di until you get down to 1.027 or lower. That requires about a 30% removal. Thus it would come down in 2 weeks.
 
Going up in salinity is much harder on fish than going down. If you’re confident in the salinity reading, just remove 1 gallon of water and replace with 1 gallon of RO. Do this as many times as needed over an hour or so
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 44 32.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new