What's the wackiest reef question you've ever been asked, outside of forums or "HALP my tomato clown is acting weird!"

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many years ago, I managed a LFS in an upper income town. It was a busy Saturday and one of my part-timers was going on how he sold a Niger trigger, clown sweetlips and Achilles tang to some guy. That afternoon, the guy comes back with all three fish dead. It took four hours for the trigger to die. Yes, he had put them in a freshwater community tank. All salesmen were then instructed to ask if the customer had a marine tank. PS, We never saw that customer again.
what size tank did he put it in? could've been a double whammy. 5 gal fresh water? :rolleyes:

Crimsonphoenix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What made me start this thread?

A co-worker called me today. He was very distraught over the behavior of his tomato clown. His description of the clowns behavior was, "He just kind of sits on rocks and lurches around. Then he will stare, then he lurches and twitches and dives from one rock to another. It's like he can't swim very well."
I asked him to send me a video of the fish. This is what he sent:
TomatoClown.jpg

:face-with-tears-of-joy: :face-with-tears-of-joy: :face-with-tears-of-joy: :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Apparently, he went to the city's worst LFS and when he pointed and said, "I'll take that there tomato clown." The store clerk bagged him up.

Share something crazy. LFS folks, I know you have better tales than this one.
Oh, that has to be a winning situation…

Homey D. Clownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What made me start this thread?

A co-worker called me today. He was very distraught over the behavior of his tomato clown. His description of the clowns behavior was, "He just kind of sits on rocks and lurches around. Then he will stare, then he lurches and twitches and dives from one rock to another. It's like he can't swim very well."
I asked him to send me a video of the fish. This is what he sent:
TomatoClown.jpg

:face-with-tears-of-joy: :face-with-tears-of-joy: :face-with-tears-of-joy: :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Apparently, he went to the city's worst LFS and when he pointed and said, "I'll take that there tomato clown." The store clerk bagged him up.

Share something crazy. LFS folks, I know you have better tales than this one.
I’ve had one of those tomato clowns before. . Tell your friend to be careful, because he will eat all of his hermit crabs.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at my lfs one time and this couple came in. They looked at several fish then they set their eyes on a lsu fish.
They told one of the guys who work there that they wanted the lsu fish. Pointing to it.
They got the fish.

It was a half inch royal gramma.
In texas.

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An interaction I had just the other day working at the lfs:
Customer: “what is that? (Gestures at our entire coral selection)
Me: “ummm… coral?”
Customer: “what’s that”
Customer: “is it decor?”
Customer: “wait, is it alive?”
Me: “yes, it’s alive”
Customer: “really!? What is it?”
Me: “it’s a marine invertebrate”
Customer: (walks over to her husband and tells him)
Customer’s husband: (seems shocked)

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at a large box pet store wearing a shirt with coral all over it and says just one more coral I promise. I tell them I would like the coral band shrimp. He asked, these are for saltwater, do you have a saltwater tank?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a drunken friend who had been staring at my tank ask me, “if crabs and shrimp have exoskeletons, what animals have endoskeletons?”. The kicker is she’s a respiratory therapist.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back