Whats this on my royal gramma

Roman'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7557.jpeg

I got my royal grandma on Saturday and when put into the tank, he was not acclimated correctly and was very stressed with heavy breathing and spent the first 12 hours laying down in the magnet of my algae scraper. The next day he was perfectly fine he ate and everything now on the Monday he has this white string coming out.

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please take a photo under white lights.

If it is white stringy poop - it's likely an internal parasite that will require medications like API General Cure.

Why did you add this fish without acclimating? Why did you add this fish when you are going on vacation in a few days?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7557.jpeg

I got my royal grandma on Saturday and when put into the tank, he was not acclimated correctly and was very stressed with heavy breathing and spent the first 12 hours laying down in the magnet of my algae scraper. The next day he was perfectly fine he ate and everything now on the Monday he has this white string coming out.

The picture is too dark and too blue to really see anything.

Is the fish still eating for you? If so, the mucus feces may just be from a change in diet between the store and your tank.

Jay

OP
OP
R

Roman'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please take a photo under white lights.

If it is white stringy poop - it's likely an internal parasite that will require medications like API General Cure.

Why did you add this fish without acclimating? Why did you add this fish when you are going on vacation in a few days?
Bc the only lfs in like a 3 hours drive sells fish once a month and I wasn’t supposed to go on vacation but my parents suddenly decided to
So i treat with api?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
R

Roman'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. thats what everyone has said
I have fed my royal gramma and
because I’m leaving on vacation I wanted to try different pellets and flake food however, both my Banggai Cardinals and Royal gramma sniffed the food, and then refused to eat it. I tried 3 different products. Then i put the usual shrimp and they both werent really interested especially the royal gramma i saw the bangai eat a tiny bit but didnt see the royal gramma eat but he was pacing back and forth in and out of rock.
My concern are that i didnt see the royal gramma eat and they both wouldnt take pellets or flakes. However, ive realized that the packs of pellets and flakes that had been open for over a year and so maybe this is why they sniff them but dont eat?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he ate really well yesterday ill update you once i feed in couple hours
Ah, that’s not a good sign. I’m going offline for the night in a minute, but others can hopefully check the new pictures. A clear video would also help.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Would you like me to still upload a pic of the thing?
maybe my latest msg would also help you identify
Yes.
I have fed my royal gramma and
because I’m leaving on vacation I wanted to try different pellets and flake food however, both my Banggai Cardinals and Royal gramma sniffed the food, and then refused to eat it. I tried 3 different products. Then i put the usual shrimp and they both werent really interested especially the royal gramma i saw the bangai eat a tiny bit but didnt see the royal gramma eat but he was pacing back and forth in and out of rock.
My concern are that i didnt see the royal gramma eat and they both wouldnt take pellets or flakes. However, ive realized that the packs of pellets and flakes that had been open for over a year and so maybe this is why they sniff them but dont eat?
Bangaii will eat frozen only and gramma- try fine foods such as brine shrimp and mysis shrimp

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back