what's this sticking out of the side of my tang?

OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Wow! I’ve seen foreign body expulsions a few times before, but always metal (nails, fishhooks, etc). Never seen that happen with soft material before (but have seen that cause impactions).
Jay
i was going to do 2-hour methylene blue+cipro baths every 24 hours. is there an alternative better route for me to take?

in the meantime, it will be kept in a quarantine tank. if there is a way that I could dose the quarantine tank(60g), I would prefer to take that route, mainly due to the fact that it'll be less stressful on the tang. please let me know what the next steps should be

OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
here is the plastic that we ended up pulling

Screenshot_20230717_174706_WhatsApp.jpg

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a head scratcher to me . If I scratch any more I will need hair restorations :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: . Have you determined what the material was that the plastic was rolled up in ???

OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
This is a head scratcher to me . If I scratch any more I will need hair restorations :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: . Have you determined what the material was that the plastic was rolled up in ???
chunks of glove! we use medical gloves when working on the tank (touching coral, gluing, etc) and sometimes because of the rock the gloves get torn up. it must've gone for chunks that were floating thinking they were nori or something

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chunks of glove! we use medical gloves when working on the tank (touching coral, gluing, etc) and sometimes because of the rock the gloves get torn up. it must've gone for chunks that were floating thinking they were nori or something
That is most bizarre. Your saying he swallowed a soft piece of rubber glove and it expelled thru the lower side of the fish ?? Did the glove have a sharp piece of dried glue attached to it ??

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is most bizarre. Your saying he swallowed a soft piece of rubber glove and it expelled thru the lower side of the fish ?? Did the glove have a sharp piece of dried glue attached to it ??
No way, that would have required a ruptured digestive tract. He would be a dead fish already.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
i was going to do 2-hour methylene blue+cipro baths every 24 hours. is there an alternative better route for me to take?

in the meantime, it will be kept in a quarantine tank. if there is a way that I could dose the quarantine tank(60g), I would prefer to take that route, mainly due to the fact that it'll be less stressful on the tang. please let me know what the next steps should be
I don’t favor Cipro especially with a Naso
If in quarantine- seachem kanaplex or ruby rally pro

OP
OP
Fishyfish22

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Please keep us updated hoping for the best for the little buddy!
hopefully he makes it :( it's looking grim though, currently still in the bath with cipro and MB, getting the qt tank back up and running. he'll be going in the tank with metro and kanaplex, then a bath every day of MB and cipro

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
going to put it in the qt with kana and metro
Skip the metro which has to applied precisely and kanaplex is absorbed by the fish and will work

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The presumption here is that the fish has a ruptured gut. In the foreign body expulsions I mentioned, we lost those fish due to peritonitis - so the following advice is guarded.....

I would skip the methylene blue, it has limited benefit. Cipro is best used as an injectable or oral medication, but both of those require special techniques (for example, you can't just "mix cipro and food" because the dose will be wrong). It also works better as a constant bath, not a dip.

I presume you are using a dip because you don't have a treatment tank? If so, I would treat with the cipro at 50 mg/l for two or three hours a day (with aeration and proper water temperature).

Jay

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh man! I'm so sorry for your loss. That's awful

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back