What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just dont see this as a 'design flaw in the stand'. There could be many factors as well - leveling, how the stand was assembled, etc. Im surprised to see so many people talking about 'tanks shoudl last 10 years' - I have had tanks for 25 years - I have never had a leak - but - I have also heard of nearly every manufacturer having problems. Im not a shill for REdsea - btw - though I own 2 of their larger tanks. Perhaps Im just hoping it doesnt happen to me:).

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are people putting different materials under the tank and above the stand which could cause a problem? Like foam or what not which is not made for the purpose?

Nevermind. I should have read more. I said that based on one pic early in the thread.

Last edited:

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a 750XXL that has been setup for the last two years. If you own a tank this size and are not comfortable in setting it up level to begin with then you will have problems. Of course the seam will fail as more pressure is being exerted in one area. I would advise people to do their research in setting up a level tank before taking on a 6 foot tank. My last tank was an 8 foot and we spent most of the day getting it perfectly level. I don't mean yeah that looks level to me either. Please do your research or hire someone to do it for you. I would not trust an LFS for this but that is just me.

dealseer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a 750XXL that has been setup for the last two years. If you own a tank this size and are not comfortable in setting it up level to begin with then you will have problems. Of course the seam will fail as more pressure is being exerted in one area. I would advise people to do their research in setting up a level tank before taking on a 6 foot tank. My last tank was an 8 foot and we spent most of the day getting it perfectly level. I don't mean yeah that looks level to me either. Please do your research or hire someone to do it for you. I would not trust an LFS for this but that is just me.
It’s not as complicated as you make it out to be.

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not as complicated as you make it out to be.

Obviously it is or people wouldn't be posting about failures. I have owned alot of tanks over the years. I wish people would stop with the Red Sea paranoia. Especially since 99.9 percent of the people posting have never owned or even seen one in person.

I can promise you that 99.9 percent of tank seams coming apart are from the tanks being setup unlevel. So you can take that to the bank and cash it today.

Last edited:

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously it is or people wouldn't be posting about failures. I have owned alot of tanks over the years. I wish people would stop with the Red Sea paranoia. Especially since 99.9 percent of the people posting have never owned or even seen one in person.

I can promise you that 99.9 percent of tank seams coming apart are from the tanks being setup unlevel. So you can take that to the bank and cash it today.
Glad to see we have the all knowing Karnack on the forums.

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see we have the all knowing Karnack on the forums.

Ok, So to anyone posting in here that actually owns a 750XXL could you please let us know if you've had a seam failure? Thanks

Looks like the Mods deleted their posts too. This really is a conspiracy.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, So to anyone posting in here that actually owns a 750XXL could you please let us know if you've had a seam failure? Thanks

Just looked through the entire thread. I don't see any posts the mods removed :)

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is a post by an owner who had their tank fail. Problem is they got greeted by rude behavior and people questioning their integrity. Also, they didn’t want to jepordize a replacement from Red Sea. So understandably they haven’t been back.

You say you own a Reefer 750xxl. Do your self a favor. Check for a gap between the tank bottom and the foam pad between the left wall and the divider wall. This is the Sump section I am referring to. If you can slip paper into that area you might also have a problem.

I have seen this gap first hand on a friends tank. I can assure you it was leveled correctly.

Also it’s not all seem failures.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked through the entire thread. I don't see any posts the mods removed :)
Random question. So my interpretation of this was that mods still see deleted posts, perhaps in a different color or something? Whereas “regular” users do not see them?

Does that apply to post-edits made by moderators too? You see the original in one color, and then the edited version?

(Just curious about how the site works lol, you peaked my interest)

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your video doesn’t play on my Ipad. If you want to post videos it’s usually best to host them on Youtube then link them.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a post by an owner who had their tank fail. Problem is they got greeted by rude behavior and people questioning their integrity. Also, they didn’t want to jepordize a replacement from Red Sea. So understandably they haven’t been back.

You say you own a Reefer 750xxl. Do your self a favor. Check for a gap between the tank bottom and the foam pad between the left wall and the divider wall. This is the Sump section I am referring to. If you can slip paper into that area you might also have a problem.

I have seen this gap first hand on a friends tank. I can assure you it was leveled correctly.

Also it’s not all seem failures.
I just tried and I can slip the paper in starting about five inches from the left to almost where the sump ends...

I spent many hours leveling my tank and I know it is level and have pics in my build thread. I also put in a ticket with Red Sea because it looked like one end of the pad was lower than the other and sent them pictures and they said it was fine. Now I am very worried. :mad:

Anyone want to buy a 750 XXL???

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tried and I can slip the paper in starting about five inches from the left to almost where the sump ends...

I spent many hours leveling my tank and I know it is level and have pics in my build thread. I also put in a ticket with Red Sea because it looked like one end of the pad was lower than the other and sent them pictures and they said it was fine. Now I am very worried. :mad:

Anyone want to buy a 750 XXL???
Bummer..

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least I have the emails from Red Sea telling me that it was fine and that as long as all four ends of the tank were touching the pad that it would even itself out over time. So when they tell me it was "User Error" I can send them the emails that they said it was fine.

I am going to start looking for another tank now. I was planning on getting a 300 + in another year anyway...time to speed that process up. :(

Edit: It would be ironic if the stand design was the problem, because that is the main reason why I went with RS over WaterBox was the size of the sump and the larger area in the stand...

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least I have the emails from Red Sea telling me that it was fine and that as long as all four ends of the tank were touching the pad that it would even itself out over time. So when they tell me it was "User Error" I can send them the emails that they said it was fine.

I am going to start looking for another tank now. I was planning on getting a 300 + in another year anyway...time to speed that process up. :(

I wonder if you could reinforce the bracing with 3/4" Plywood in some way? I'm sure it would void any warranty with Red Sea but it might be better piece of mind..

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 25 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 95 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back