What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

minder_mano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truth. Instant damage/reputation control.

But first maybe you clean it up and call insurance. Then change your underwear because I'm sure you sharted yourself after you realized what was going on.

Good thing it’s laundry day at my house

BD6E64EB-AFB2-48CB-9EFA-39F627D91A0C.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
SO in the ininterest of this thresd - I called my LFS - they said There is no evidence of a 'recall' oraproblem - they have one in their living room The issues (ofwhich they hae heard - relates to installation). - they did mine - so I assume that if there wasa problemthey would want to come out....

Second - they said after selling >xx number of the tanks - there is no issue that they have seen

This - Insurance verifies that water damage would be covered in case of a major problem

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO in the ininterest of this thresd - I called my LFS - they said There is no evidence of a 'recall' oraproblem - they have one in their living room The issues (ofwhich they hae heard - relates to installation). - they did mine - so I assume that if there wasa problemthey would want to come out....

Second - they said after selling >xx number of the tanks - there is no issue that they have seen

This - Insurance verifies that water damage would be covered in case of a major problem

Hmmmm... someone needs to proof read..LOL

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOL - its the site - I can type a whole sentence - but the letters show up only one letter/second - so then going back to edit - also is a problem - because its delayed. Has happened since the new system. Sorry

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL - its the site - I can type a whole sentence - but the letters show up only one letter/second - so then going back to edit - also is a problem - because its delayed. Has happened since the new system. Sorry
I honestly was a little concerned. Who knows what could have been wrong.. glad you’re fine.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

For @AZMSGT:

So in the interest of this thread - I called my LFS - they said - There is no evidence of a recall or a problem. They have one of these tanks in their living room. The issues (of which they have heard) relate to installation. They did mine (installation) so I assume that if there was a problem they would want to come out.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Easy enough to engineer but easy enough to screw up and introduce variables. Controlled size of silicon bead, age of silicon used, cleanliness of applied surface, finger prints, fixtures used to keep it level, consistency of tank edges etc. The list is long.
But - the only way the stand could cause uneven coverage is - if the stand wasnt level (OR) if somehow the ends are collapsing and leaving the middle higher

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is another RS 750 XXL failure that was just posted on the Facebook group today. :(

Every time I see another post I get more paranoid and am seriously thinking of getting another tank and selling my RS 750 XXL. I think it would be cheaper than potentially loosing my livestock at this point. This really sucks, but there have been too many in the past few months to be a coincidence and @Red Sea has still not given any kind of update on the root cause investigation. I am EXTREMELY worried now!

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of us who aren’t on FB, will you please share the pictures and details here?

The comment was, "My few months old Red Sea 750xxl have failed causing damage to property and live stock. Local distributor not helpful at all. Wondering if others had same issue ? And if it is was professionally dealt with?"

Here is a pic and the video...
69713010_10157586885628839_6491752276590329856_n.jpg

Edit: I guess I can't share the video and if you are not a member of the group you will not be able to see it, but the photo clearly shows that the water is coming from the bottom of the tank. It looks like another cracked tank or maybe the front seam blew.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I reported several of the Postings here from the facebook group they kicked me out of the group. I never commented on anything over there accept to help some folks with finding a few parts. The Red Sea group Admin that visits here is who I suspect kicked me from the group.

Glad to see others are willing to add to the posts here. Just be aware they are bitter over there and if they figure out who you are they very likely will boot you from the group.

I know of another tank where the stand has bowed dramatically under the tank. The owner ordered a new custom tank and is hoping his 750 holds up till it gets here.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I reported several of the Postings here from the facebook group they kicked me out of the group. I never commented on anything over there accept to help some folks with finding a few parts. The Red Sea group Admin that visits here is who I suspect kicked me from the group.

Glad to see others are willing to add to the posts here. Just be aware they are bitter over there and if they figure out who you are they very likely will boot you from the group.

I know of another tank where the stand has bowed dramatically under the tank. The owner ordered a new custom tank and is hoping his 750 holds up till it gets here.

I was also kicked from that group after I made a poll asking whether people were happy with the noise level of their Red Sea skimmers. I even asked a moderator first, but when the results were poor, I guess that didnt matter. And I was a very active contributor to the group as well. So although I love my reefer 350, I am certainly critical of how they run that group.

It would be interesting to make a post about their FB group policies, but here ON R2R. Maybe would reach someone different at Red Sea, and it wouldn't be deleted like on their group.

Last edited:

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the updates. Sad that people are still being silenced for drawing attention to this issue.

yan2pr

I grow GHA better than anything else
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this post on the fb page and it worries me a lot. I always asked myself how long this silicone lasts and how long before this happens and today i saw this, is this common? I mean im sure red sea and this mayor companies sell thousands of tanks and some had to fail at some point but how many have failed already? I cannot imagine the feeling of seeing your corals and fish slowly going away and your house getting messed up at the same time.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this post on the fb page and it worries me a lot. I always asked myself how long this silicone lasts and how long before this happens and today i saw this, is this common? I mean im sure red sea and this mayor companies sell thousands of tanks and some had to fail at some point but how many have failed already? I cannot imagine the feeling of seeing your corals and fish slowly going away and your house getting messed up at the same time.
The biggest failures reported so far seems to be the Reefer 750XXL. once in a while you might see something else but they aren't very common. The 750 is believed (by me and several others) to have a stand design flaw that is causing the high failure rate. If you have a smaller tank I wouldn't worry to much.

yan2pr

I grow GHA better than anything else
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest failures reported so far seems to be the Reefer 750XXL. once in a while you might see something else but they aren't very common. The 750 is believed (by me and several others) to have a stand design flaw that is causing the high failure rate. If you have a smaller tank I wouldn't worry to much.
Its crazy to see how that small strip of silicone holds that amount of water and pressure. I saw that 170 that also broke but like i said earlier theres a lot of factors that can go wrong and everything is prone to fail at some point, what makes a difference is how red sea reacts to this failures. I still want to buy my 350 i havent seen any crazy stories about those yet.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glass tanks can easily go 10+ years depending on how they are cared for or stored, moved, etc.

The Reefer 170 above is an anomaly to this thread because the majority of failures for the 750 XXL have been related to the bottom panel seperating from the front or back glass as well as cracking due to a potential design flaw in the stand.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 103 66.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.2%
Back