What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They mentioned the paper test? I didn’t see that part.. then again I’m banned from the FB group. I was the one who started the whole paper test thing here.. I only said to do it as that was something we did on a different tank to see how far back the gap was.
They mentioned the gap and as long as you weren't seeing bubbles in the sealant not to worry.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They mentioned the gap and as long as you weren't seeing bubbles in the sealant not to worry.

Yes that’s what I just received in an email as well. Just the 750xxls have the issue, and the gap doesn’t matter. They’ve also extended the warranty to 3 years on all their tanks, which is a pretty good response IMO.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have to empty my sump and take apart the plumbing to pull it out and put a piece of wood in their crappy stands, then I'm going to go the extra mile and break down my entire tank and replace the stand with a steel one.

That is the stupidest response I've ever seen! Sorry that we made a defective stand for your 2,000 + pound tank, but we will be sending a patch kit for you and hopefully it gets to you before your tank fails. Seriously??? :mad:

I called and talked to their support and the guy actually told me, "You don't have to worry about the sag until you start to see bubbles in the silicone. Once you see bubbles then give us a call and we will deal with it. You should also have a backup tank ready in case your tank fails. That goes for any large tank, not just ours." o_O

Javelin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a feeling we are going to get a piece of 1x3 and some elmer's glue :) I'm looking into having a powder coated steel frame made now. The cost seems to average around $600-$800. I've already broken down my tank once and not looking forward to doing it again.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a feeling we are going to get a piece of 1x3 and some elmer's glue :) I'm looking into having a powder coated steel frame made now. The cost seems to average around $600-$800. I've already broken down my tank once and not looking forward to doing it again.

I don’t understand how they can make a “reinforcement” that doesn’t require draining the tank, if it’s supposed to reduce existing sagging. I personally can’t lift 2000lbs.

Tomplatz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand how they can make a “reinforcement” that doesn’t require draining the tank, if it’s supposed to reduce existing sagging. I personally can’t lift 2000lbs.
My thoughts exactly. Anything that is retrofitted and does not involve draining the tank will only prevent further sagging. Or it may have a screw prop as pictured in other peoples posts. Then you are going to be raising the sagging stand top until the gap is reduced. Good luck with that!!!

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume it is able to be jacked up to lift the sagging part up to touch the tank. You shouldn't have to lift anything, but I would want to drain the tank anyway and make sure the stand is absolutely level before putting it back on. At that point though, (once the tank is drained and off the stand) I can't see any good reson why I wouldn't just replace the stand instead of hoping the "fix" works.

Javelin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly think they should just replace the stand. I understand it will cost them but it would also renew the trust in their company.

This is a waterbox stand with the same dimensions. Looks like their engineer was doing his job.

stand.jpeg

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foundation jack screws don’t require you to lift a house to raise a sagging joist. If they use a jack screw the concept would be the same.

Another way to imagine it is just like the leveling feet on the stand. You use a wrench to adjust the feet down even with the weight of the tank and stand it’s easy to do with a tiny wrench.

Just guessing mind you till they actually introduce their fix we won’t know.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wasn't talking about you! There were a couple of other figures lurking and jumping in a few times. Just learned that one was banned and his posts was probably deleted by mods.

It's always good to have someone stepping on the breaks in discussions like this, I see no fault in your concerns or questions. To 99% I think people in this thread behaved admirably and that is once again why I like R2R so much.

Sorry - I didnt mean to imply that you meant me personally - I just meant - just like there were a lot of people that were sure 'nothing was wrong' - there were a lot of people claiming all sorts of other things (not having to do with this forum) - It reminds me of the recent threads about Fritz salt... Thanks for yoru thoughtful response

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is the new stand prototype. Someone needs to tell Red Sea engineers that they need more center support. They're doing it all wrong...

uncommon-ikea-bookcase-1-554x738.jpg
WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT THING:)?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree for stands already sagging, how is the brace going to correct the sagging? This matters, because even if the brace prevents further sagging, the existing sag will continue to stress the seal.
No one has commented on my tank problem - I can put a piece of paper not only on the left (long) side - but also the right (short) side

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes that’s what I just received in an email as well. Just the 750xxls have the issue, and the gap doesn’t matter. They’ve also extended the warranty to 3 years on all their tanks, which is a pretty good response IMO.

Thats not quite true - they said - IF you have a gap (ie the paper) - THEN check for bubbles in the silicone - and if present contact them immediately. What they didnt say is 'what if there are bubbles - but no gap'......

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a serious note. Its mind blowing to me that Red Sea says that any kind of gap is acceptable.

If you can fit anything under the tank, even a sheet of paper that means that portion of the tank is NOT making contact with the stand as it should. It is NOT properly supported.

That means the center will continue to push down until it either breaks or makes contact. It's called gravity. Not much engineering behind it.

Eventually anything not built to bend/conform will break. In this case the tanks are breaking at the seams. I'm sorry, if any tank/stand is experiencing this issue, it should be addressed. Contact Red Sea and raise hell. I certainly dont want to take the risk on my home being flooded, my poor life stock suffering and my wife beating me to death.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a serious note. Its mind blowing to me that Red Sea says that any kind of gap is acceptable.

If you can fit anything under the tank, even a sheet of paper that means that portion of the tank is NOT making contact with the stand as it should. It is NOT properly supported.

That means the center will continue to push down until it either breaks or makes contact. It's called gravity. Not much engineering behind it.

Eventually anything not built to bend/conform will break. In this case the tanks are breaking at the seams. I'm sorry, if any tank/stand is experiencing this issue, it should be addressed. Contact Red Sea and raise hell. I certainly dont want to take the risk on my home being flooded, my poor life stock suffering and my wife beating me to death.
I read it as everyone gets the fix. But if you have the sag and the sealant is bubbling, contact them for a faster resolution as your tank is about to fail.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

We've been getting quite a few reports in regards to this thread. Let's please remember to keep comments friendly, informative, and helpful. Were all here for the love of reefing and dont need the back and fourth banter. Please keep the thread on track.
Thank you all :)

Crabs

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats not quite true - they said - IF you have a gap (ie the paper) - THEN check for bubbles in the silicone - and if present contact them immediately. What they didnt say is 'what if there are bubbles - but no gap'......

I had a personalized email, you can’t really disagree with the content :p.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly think they should just replace the stand. I understand it will cost them but it would also renew the trust in their company.

This is a waterbox stand with the same dimensions. Looks like their engineer was doing his job.

stand.jpeg
That does look much better with the dividers. Larger reservoir too, it appears.

Back