What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's go with reality. The LFS that sold me kine had never heard of the recall. I never heard of it, either, until I had a failure. Don't try to place a design flaw on me. I never heard about the brace, but i had three lights replaced under warranty, so I must have been I. The records somewhere.

As for the recall brace, once I got the v3 stand, I could see a huge improvement. The v3 stand actually supports the entire from piece of glass, where the v1 stand, even with the recall brace, does not.
Lets go with the reality - that could be becasue your tank wasn't registered, or you didnt open the mail/email and your LFS - which is supposed to be aware of things happening in the marketplace of the products they sell should have known. I wasn't pinning anything on you - I was suggesting to the recent poster - that my guess is that Redsea will take care of him - and replace the tank/stand - if not completely - at a significant discount - at least hopefully. But it is 'pinned on the consumer' - if they didnt register their tank - and if their LFS didn't inform them. Tell me - how could an LFS possibly NOT know? I guess the only way would be if the LFS merely ordered the tank and had it shipped to the customer.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When we sold the customer the tank we were an authorized Red Sea dealer. Some time later we were no longer an authorized dealer. This change came when they forced the stores to stock 3 of each of their products. Being a smaller store we felt that buying the tanks direct and saving 5% over buying from one of our big wholesalers was not worth losing that amount of retail space. I can tell you that we were never informed of a retrofit kit, had we still been an authorized dealer we may have been.
That makes sense. But - in that case - it seems to me that Redsea is 'at fault' for not notifying stores that sold that tank/stand (even if they weren't dealers) - or customers that had registered their tanks. I am only speaking from personal experience. My LFS ordered the tank for me. I registered the tank. When this problem occurred - I was notified by the LFS and RedSea (in fact I believe I got 2 retrofit kits - one from Redsea one from the LFS). I also know that My LFS did not stock 3 Reefer 750 XXL tanks in their store (because the had the tank shipped to them - becasue then the shipping was costless to me) - and then they delivered the tank to my house and set it up. Maybe something slipped through the cracks (no pun intended). Sounds like a massive headache for everyone

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I would never use such cheap materials and flimsy design for a stand that I built myself.
Having owned a Red Sea tank I can say that the tanks themselves are fairly decent but the stand is utter garbage. I would expect more when paying a premium price.
My stand was all kinds of wonky but luckily the tank didn’t burst.
I have 2 of these tanks. I do not believe that the material are 'cheap'. nor 'flimsy' when put together properly. My understanding is that for the larger tank - they are made with Marine plywood and then completely sealed. Lets face it - its the tanks that are leaking - even smaller tanks - at times - and its not only RedSea - its Mainland, etc. etc. etc. My guess is that people who have built their own stands have from what I've seen overbuilt them to such an extent that shipping cost, etc alone would be prohibitive. My guess is also that when those stands 'fail' - its not broadcast on R2R

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of these tanks. I do not believe that the material are 'cheap'. nor 'flimsy' when put together properly. My understanding is that for the larger tank - they are made with Marine plywood and then completely sealed. Lets face it - its the tanks that are leaking - even smaller tanks - at times - and its not only RedSea - its Mainland, etc. etc. etc. My guess is that people who have built their own stands have from what I've seen overbuilt them to such an extent that shipping cost, etc alone would be prohibitive. My guess is also that when those stands 'fail' - its not broadcast on R2R
I can’t speak for the larger tanks, the one I owned was a 350 and that stand was most definitely made of cheap materials. Some sort of particle board that swelled after some light contact with water.
Check out the Cade tanks, relatively similar price range but vastly higher build quality.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are any woodworkers here suprised?

The stands are made out of the crappiest material for water resistance and have an open water source enclosed in it + water splashing around it daily.
They are made of Marine grade plywood - and completely water sealed. (for the larger tanks)
I can’t speak for the larger tanks, the one I owned was a 350 and that stand was most definitely made of cheap materials. Some sort of particle board that swelled after some light contact with water.
Check out the Cade tanks, relatively similar price range but vastly higher build quality.
Right - we're talking about the large tanks in this thread. You're correct though - that the smaller tank stands are made of MDF. However, they are also (supposed) to be sealed so that nothing can really leak into most places.

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are made of Marine grade plywood -

I'll take oxymorons for $1000 Alex.

What has no business in the structural elements of furniture that is in the proximity of water?

In all seriousness I have seen plant stands warp under less weight because of a few water spills.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll take oxymorons for $1000 Alex.

What has no business in the structural elements of furniture that is in the proximity of water?

In all seriousness I have seen plant stands warp under less weight because of a few water spills.
Great - then perhaps start your own mutilmillion dollar business with something different. Sealed marine grade plywood is no problem around water. (its sealed with a covering - not just a sealer. So - I mean - really - come on. Are you really suggesting that one of the major reef companies is manufacturing 'crap' on purpose - as compared to some home made stand - which has no structural design - or is likely - to be never moved from the house lol. Give it a rest with your oxymoron stuff IMO

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great - then perhaps start your own mutilmillion dollar business with something different. Sealed marine grade plywood is no problem around water. (its sealed with a covering - not just a sealer. So - I mean - really - come on. Are you really suggesting that one of the major reef companies is manufacturing 'crap' on purpose - as compared to some home made stand - which has no structural design - or is likely - to be never moved from the house lol. Give it a rest with your oxymoron stuff IMO

They absolutely are producing certain elements of their product with garbage materials for no other reason than their bottom line.

Please show me any building that is using plywood instead of 2x4s for their stud work lol.

There's no argument for plywood in construction or woodworking other than cheap and light (which just makes it cheaper to ship.)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They absolutely are producing certain elements of their product with garbage materials for no other reason than their bottom line.

Please show me any building that is using plywood instead of 2x4s for their stud work lol.

There's no argument for plywood in construction or woodworking other than cheap and light (which just makes it cheaper to ship.)
Yes. Thats what I said. Its becasue its easier to ship. Not sure the analogy of the building is correct - no you wouldn't build a building with plywood. But - you wouldn't build a a parking ramp with Plywood either. Nor would you build an aquarium stand with rebar and contrete (unless it was really big lol:). I do not think the RedSea stands in general - are responsible for problems unless there is a problem with one particular stand - so I'm only suggesting that your general statement may be a little 'overstated. Its just my opinion. I'm not employed by RedSea...

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210327_193509.jpg
How are you Red Sea owners making out?
RedSea replaced my tank and stand. No complaints here. I have had experience with nearly every brand of tank having a failure but RedSea did right by me. Tank is 10 months post replacement and doing well.

Dunc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
09/30 RED SEA CONFIRMS DESIGN FLAW!!!

w7hwUwd.jpg

Original post below.

I have seen a few failures lately, especially on their big tanks. A few reports on their 750xxl in last few weeks. One 750xxl had the back pane blow out. The other started leaking at the bottom.

Their Facebook group page is heavily filtered with moderators removing all comments which doesnt favor the company. To give you an example, someone asked if 160+ gallons spilling onto to their floor is covered by home insurance. I said "That would be a question for your insurance company." The comment was deemed "irrelevant", then deleted. Figured my response was pretty relevant....

Hopefully this thread stays open and unchanged unlike their Facebook page. When a conpany has to resort to those kinds of tactics, it's a sign to run for your life. Bottom line, all products in this world have issues... it's just the world we live in. Nothing is perfect. And yes we all know alot of problems are caused by the end customer themselves, and improper installation.

SmartSelect_20190811-045513_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20190811-045234_Facebook.jpg

SmartSelect_20190811-054255_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20190811-052651_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190811-053900_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20190811-102938_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20191113-204046_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20191113-205406_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20191113-205928_Facebook.jpg
Red Sea headquarters are in China. Red Sea tanks are made and assembled in China. You try a different company with HQ close to home.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea headquarters are in China. Red Sea tanks are made and assembled in China. You try a different company with HQ close to home.
Not sure where you are going with that. A good quality tank should be a good quality tank regardless of where it is made. And btw, this site has members from all over the world so "close to home" is really not relevant here. If you live near China, then China is close to home...just saying. :)

Last edited:

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea is not a chinese company, they produce their tanks in China like everybody else.

KeMiKiLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at Red Sea's site quite a bit over the last week. This thread has me rethinking purchasing from them...

For the tanks that had severe leaks or blowouts, did RS replace the tank, stand, and anything else that was damaged by the flood? Lost fish/coral value reimbursed?

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at Red Sea's site quite a bit over the last week. This thread has me rethinking purchasing from them...

For the tanks that had severe leaks or blowouts, did RS replace the tank, stand, and anything else that was damaged by the flood? Lost fish/coral value reimbursed?
The did recognize the mistake but I have not heard RS paying for loss fish, corals, etc. RS is a dominant player in saltwater tanks, I recommend you to check the new Reefer S series that has the Max aluminum frame. That gives the whole tank a better structure. I have had a RS Max for 4 years now and have zero complains, when I have needed support RS was there.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

On all of the cases I followed, Red Sea replaced the tanks and stands. I have not heard of anyone being reimbursed for livestock or flood damage and I highly doubt they would be from RS or any tank manufacturer. I remember following a tank blowout of a Tank that was a few hundred gallons and ruined the living room and his furniture a few years ago and the company refused to pay for anything. The guy had to take them to court to get any reimbursement at all out of them. He was finally able to settle and then all the posts just disappeared and I still cannot find anything online so he probably got paid something.

Personally I would check with your insurance company to see if they would cover the damages. I did and mine will.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

it was just ( mostly ) one tank the 750XL. I had but never set up as we bought a home with a perfect spot for the 650P so I traded it down. with the V3 in the 750 I think you would be good to go.

that said there are lots of grate tank builder out there all will have/could have issues but in my mind what makes a "good" one is how they deal with it.

so if you like RS go for it, but also price together other options like just a tank and build your own stand and piece together what you need, i wanted the white clean look of the stand so I with with a PnP setup but redid the pluming.

good luck man, oh there is a red sea owners FB group that is quite active as well. stop by and look around .

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 29.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back