What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldnt let this thread stop you from considering a Red Sea. The point of this thread is to be open and transparent. I dont care if there are problems with a product I buy to a certain extent. I care more about how the situation is handled moving forward. And I certainly don't want things hidden/manipulated. Isnt that the whole point we are here? Reviews? To share our experiences? Learn from each other etc? A failure here and there isnt necessarily the end of the world considering all the variables, manufacturer defect, shipping damage, customer induced problem etc.
I care extremely much as this tank faces my bed and it breaking would cause serious harm

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is everyone referring to the reefer 750 xxl v3? I'm on the fence still between the 625 and the 750....
Nope, it's the V1. The V2 and V3 both have thicker bottom glass and the modified cabinet. To my knowledge the only difference between the V2 and V3 is the V3 has a dual return.

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I care extremely much as this tank faces my bed and it breaking would cause serious harm
Which red sea model do you have? I wouldn't panic too much about a tank that small, it seems all the catastrophic failures have been on the large models.

Kdog7454

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed this on my redsea XXL750 today, purchased in february of 2019!
Any input on what to do is appreciated
20201030_144742.jpg

20201030_150713.jpg 20201030_144751.jpg

rebels23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the seams are splitting because the front glass over hangs with no support?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m unhappy to report. My 625 is now on the list of failing tanks. Just found this 1 hour ago. Yea, I’ll be getting with Red Sea in the morning.
02BBFD16-C0BC-4336-96A3-85185A872B59.jpeg

rebels23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m unhappy to report. My 625 is now on the list of failing tanks. Just found this 1 hour ago. Yea, I’ll be getting with Red Sea in the morning.
Sorry to hear that. When did you get your tank?

rebels23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know yours is not a 750, but were you able to get the the aluminum brace for a retro-fit install?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was in contact with Red Sea. They will be sending a replacement tank since my tank is under warranty. The implication is I might see an entirely new system as the new tanks aren’t compatible. With my version. That would be great if it goes that way. But I’m not one to count my chickens before they are hatched.

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in contact with Red Sea. They will be sending a replacement tank since my tank is under warranty. The implication is I might see an entirely new system as the new tanks aren’t compatible. With my version. That would be great if it goes that way. But I’m not one to count my chickens before they are hatched.
If it's anything like my mates one, you'll get a V2 which will come with new plumbing as the bottom glass is thicker

Edit: Ooops I see you have the 625 not the 750 so no idea what will happen there.....

Dale Winell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fallacy aplies to lies and I am not lying. Of course there have been tanks with issues I am not saying it did not happen but Red Sea has been in the business long enough to establish a name and we are not seeing any other complains/failure notifications. I own a Red Sea and know other people with Red Sea tanks so I talk first hand. There is no perfect company, we could trash every company out there for quality issues or the way the respond to claims. It is ok to complain but to keep spreading this is just to trash a company is not ok to me.
Have a 135 gallon tank Red Sea for two years. It cost a small fortune to establish a beautiful well balanced tank with corals, sea anemones and variety of expensive fish. Woke this morning to hear water dripping. Back corner of tank was separating. Water pouring out. In panic tied rope around tank. Managed to slow leak until our tank caretaker came to save fish and bring them to another tank in his home. What is wrong with quality control at Red Sea. This is a very expensive hobby with great reward at viewing such beauty. Red Sea needs more oversight in their product. I am heart sick over this loss

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 135 gallon tank Red Sea for two years. It cost a small fortune to establish a beautiful well balanced tank with corals, sea anemones and variety of expensive fish. Woke this morning to hear water dripping. Back corner of tank was separating. Water pouring out. In panic tied rope around tank. Managed to slow leak until our tank caretaker came to save fish and bring them to another tank in his home. What is wrong with quality control at Red Sea. This is a very expensive hobby with great reward at viewing such beauty. Red Sea needs more oversight in their product. I am heart sick over this loss

Just curious, tied rope around the tank? Did that actually help?

I feel for you man. The tank is our life blood on this expensive hobby. If the tank seals fail, all bets are off.

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I feel for you man. The tank is our life blood on this expensive hobby. If the tank seals fail, all bets are off.
I second this, I’d love to know how the rope helped. I would’ve never thought of that. Very good idea but sucks it happened. 750 are know for many issues.

Dale Winell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Helped with a twisting tourniquet. Just a temporary fix but still needed help to remove fish ,corals and sea anemones.Hope they survive since the peace and tranquility cannot be replaced

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back