What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding - everyone that 'registered' their tank with RedSea was notified. Also - the dealer from whom I bought mine notified and installed mine. If they didnt notify that is terrible customer service. Having said that - I'm not sure I was notified by RedSea - I do not see any email from them - but I did contact them by phone and they said 'I was already on the list' from my dealer.
Come to think of it I actually spoke to the LFS I purchased the tank from first and they said I was on a list of purchasers they needed to call. They then asked me to register the tank and they contacted the Red Sea rep to make sure he then contacted me, which he did via email. I’m pretty sure Red Sea contacted stores in Aus to make sure XXL750 owners that they had sold to were notified. Sorry it was a while ago now lol

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding - everyone that 'registered' their tank with RedSea was notified. Also - the dealer from whom I bought mine notified and installed mine. If they didnt notify that is terrible customer service. Having said that - I'm not sure I was notified by RedSea - I do not see any email from them - but I did contact them by phone and they said 'I was already on the list' from my dealer.

Just confirmed, he registered the tank on purchase and again later (including submitting his S/N) to upgrade to a 3 year warranty. Definitely no contact from Red Sea.

rebels23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank was up for 15 months, but I am not sure when the bubble appeared. I only noticed the bubble when I was up close, installing the retrofit support kit. Thankfully I caught it before it failed!

No, just the tank and piping. However, it appears that I had Version 1 of the 750 XXL and the replacement tank is Version 2. After closely looking over both tanks, I noticed there has been some structural upgrades in V2. Specifically, all seams now have a reinforcing brace/silicon protector. With the addition of this seam brace, it effectively increased the silicon seam from 3/4" to a full 1". And the piping was included, according to Red Sea, because the bottom glass is thicker, but I haven't confirmed this yet.

I wonder if the reinforcing brace is common to all of Version 2 750 XXLs, or if this is a recent update due to the seam failures? And, are the failed 750 XXLs tanks ones without the silicon brace?

IMG_3252.jpg IMG_3251.jpg

Hi mstgkillr,

What is the "piping" you are referring to? By the way the bottom panel on the tank for V2 is thicker (1")

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi mstgkillr,

What is the "piping" you are referring to? By the way the bottom panel on the tank for V2 is thicker (1")

I never confirmed, but Red Sea Customer Support said the V2 glass bottom was thicker and required slightly different piping to accommodate the added thickness. Honestly, I am not sure they are correct about the V2 being thicker.

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never confirmed, but Red Sea Customer Support said the V2 glass bottom was thicker and required slightly different piping to accommodate the added thickness. Honestly, I am not sure they are correct about the V2 being thicker.
It certainly appears to be, I've just helped swap out a V1 for a V2 and there's a definite difference in thickness.
On the V1 they use plastic trim around the bottom join to make the bottom glass appear the same thickness as the sides when it's only 1/2". On the V2 the plastic trim is used on all joins and the seams are the same thickness all round so it certainly appears they've switched the bottom to 3/4"

rebels23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It certainly appears to be, I've just helped swap out a V1 for a V2 and there's a definite difference in thickness.
On the V1 they use plastic trim around the bottom join to make the bottom glass appear the same thickness as the sides when it's only 1/2". On the V2 the plastic trim is used on all joins and the seams are the same thickness all round so it certainly appears they've switched the bottom to 3/4"

Thanks OllieNZ. I stand corrected, the bottom is probably not 1". You are right that the armor seal plastic takes up about 1/4". S
IMG_6808.JPG
o the bottom is really 3/4". I have the Version 3 750 XXL

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look what is starting on my 250.

14B6B89C-AB30-41FC-80B5-96A0F8B13BEE.jpeg 5F6D8AB3-D436-4011-ABAA-4D6E6F616740.jpeg 7C78C7CE-953E-4A2F-B42A-1BC717A10423.jpeg
Does it have the plastic trim/armour like the bigger tanks?
The reason I ask is I've acquired the 750v1 off my mate and removed that bit of trim along the front where the bubble was and the bubble was forming between the trim and the glass. The actual seam between the base and front is fine.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have the plastic trim/armour like the bigger tanks?
The reason I ask is I've acquired the 750v1 off my mate and removed that bit of trim along the front where the bubble was and the bubble was forming between the trim and the glass. The actual seam between the base and front is fine.
Nope straight glass to silicone. Red Sea said not to worry about it but if it gets worse they will replace. Honestly I hate the idea of having to move tanks

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope straight glass to silicone. Red Sea said not to worry about it but if it gets worse they will replace. Honestly I hate the idea of having to move tanks
Could be worse, could be having to swap a 750xxl over;Hilarious

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup, someone always has it worse. Sorry Mate
It's certainly a major headache. My mate is lucky to have a good support network, our LFS baby sat his fish, some of his corals and loaned him a load water containers. Another friend lent him a couple of big koi trays to put his live rock in. He was able to get a few of us in to help shift the tanks about. I'd hate to have to swap even a small tank about without that.

rebels23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like it is the silicone they are using? Haven't done enough research but is this normal? Is it because it is rimless and there is no bracing?

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like it is the silicone they are using? Haven't done enough research but is this normal? Is it because it is rimless and there is no bracing?
Rimless and braceless is not an issue if adequately constructed. I think these issues, particularly in the larger models, are a combination of problems. With the way they've done the base-side join IMO 1/2" glass should never have been used for the base, the rest of the tank is 3/4". It's not just a glass strength issue but rather sq in of bonding surface. Going from 1/2" to 3/4"increases the bond area by approx 33%. Combine the long unsupported span above the sump with the more flexible (vs 3/4") 1/2" glass, narrower bond line and you've got the risk of extra stretch of the bond line.

Fishnfun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what started happening to my 750 and they sent me a new tank. Sand falling in between the glass and silicone certainly seems like something to worry about.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what started happening to my 750 and they sent me a new tank. Sand falling in between the glass and silicone certainly seems like something to worry about.
You can totally see coraline and reg green old algae growing between the glass and silicone. No sand In My tank but I assume it would be there too. If it gets worse I’ll have them warranty, they said they would and I have another 2 years of warranty left, tank is only 13 months old. We will see how they handle it if and when that time comes. I swear this was not there 4 months ago. Still love my Red Sea tank. It’s the nicest one I have since I started SW back in 2001. Had a reefer 170 for 2 years previously and loved that too. When I ever get money to upgrade I will most likely get another Reefer. My first tank way back in the day was an oceanic 55 gallon that had hardly any silicone on it from the factory and never leaked but it had a rim. I did forward the email of the Red Sea reps assurance of the issue not being a risk to my homeowners insurance. He has a couple tanks at home and confirmed that my current insurance will cover me 100% and they can go after RS. My only real concern is of my animals if something happened. I have no back up tank to put things in and no close to me fellow reefers.

Fishnfun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can totally see coraline and reg green old algae growing between the glass and silicone. No sand In My tank but I assume it would be there too. If it gets worse I’ll have them warranty, they said they would and I have another 2 years of warranty left, tank is only 13 months old. We will see how they handle it if and when that time comes. I swear this was not there 4 months ago. Still love my Red Sea tank. It’s the nicest one I have since I started SW back in 2001. Had a reefer 170 for 2 years previously and loved that too. When I ever get money to upgrade I will most likely get another Reefer. My first tank way back in the day was an oceanic 55 gallon that had hardly any silicone on it from the factory and never leaked but it had a rim. I did forward the email of the Red Sea reps assurance of the issue not being a risk to my homeowners insurance. He has a couple tanks at home and confirmed that my current insurance will cover me 100% and they can go after RS. My only real concern is of my animals if something happened. I have no back up tank to put things in and no close to me fellow reefers.
Ah, okay. So that's coraline. And they told you not to worry about it? Is it happening kind of in the middle of the two vertical supports? Where the cabinet doors close.

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PLEASE TELL ME THIS WONT HAPPEN TO MY 65 gGALLON IT FACES MY BED AND COULD CAUSE SERIOUS HARM IF SO

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back