What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's had a response, their engineering department has inspected the photos and deemed it's not at risk of imminent failure but they are going to replace the tank asap.

I am curious to know additional information if you could.
This is just to satisfy my curious self.

When was the tank and stand purchased?
How long has this tank and stand been set up and operating?
When was the problem noticed?
Has it gotten worse from being noticed until now?

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious to know additional information if you could.
This is just to satisfy my curious self.

When was the tank and stand purchased?
How long has this tank and stand been set up and operating?
When was the problem noticed?
Has it gotten worse from being noticed until now?
-Ordered April-May 2019, delivered early June
-Set up June 2019, filled 18-19th it was placed on a specially reinforced and leveled floor and level was monitored during fill and periodically afterwards. Most recent level check was when he noticed the delamination and it hasn't shifted.
-Definitely not there before November 2019 (probably the last time I had a good look personally) I know my mate has been checking the stand for the gap using a playing card at least once a month and apparently it's been okay.
-It was first noticed during installation of the brace last night.
-It hasn't spread any further since it was noticed.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Set up June 2019, filled 18-19th it was placed on a specially reinforced and leveled floor and level was monitored during fill and periodically afterwards. Most recent level check was when he noticed the delamination and it hasn't shifted.
-Definitely not there before November 2019 (probably the last time I had a good look personally) I know my mate has been checking the stand for the gap using a playing card at least once a month and apparently it's been okay.

So it has basically been a year.
And the tank and stand are only a bit over a year assuming it was built and shipped.
So I guess this was the previous stand and tank before they improved things.
Lets hope they step up and do the right thing.

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it has basically been a year.
And the tank and stand are only a bit over a year assuming it was built and shipped.
So I guess this was the previous stand and tank before they improved things.
Lets hope they step up and do the right thing.
It sounds like they will, no idea if it'll be a new stand or just the tank yet. My mate's going to put the question to them and find out.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is apparent the market competition is fierce right not with CADE, Waterbox, and Innovative Marine making huge strides... let's hope Red Sea ups their game with a superior stand and stronger seams in the very near future (e.g., extruded aluminum or simply thicker and more plywood, and possibly eurobracing). I've had a Red Sea Peninsula 500 going for a year now with no problems. The tank is beautiful.

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is apparent the market competition is fierce right not with CADE, Waterbox, and Innovative Marine making huge strides... let's hope Red Sea ups their game with a superior stand and stronger seams in the very near future (e.g., extruded aluminum or simply thicker and more plywood, and possibly eurobracing). I've had a Red Sea Peninsula 500 going for a year now with no problems. The tank is beautiful.
TBH the red sea stand looks nice but if you posted it in the DIY section, said you made it from scratch and were going to put a 200gal tank on top you'd get slaughtered. That front bit above the sump really isn't fit for purpose.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t disagree there! My next setup will be a 15 year plan. Metal stand, or wood with prudent reinforcement and coatings.

TBH the red sea stand looks nice but if you posted it in the DIY section, said you made it from scratch and were going to put a 200gal tank on top you'd get slaughtered. That front bit above the sump really isn't fit for purpose.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The larger redsea tanks are all made of plywood not MDF. I agree though I wish there was a stand manufacturer that made a NICE looking stand - with more steel components - that however costs more in shipping, etc. I do not think that the Red Sea stands are 'bad' or 'poorly made'. There are a lot of people paranoid about stands (rightly so)

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The larger redsea tanks are all made of plywood not MDF. I agree though I wish there was a stand manufacturer that made a NICE looking stand - with more steel components - that however costs more in shipping, etc. I do not think that the Red Sea stands are 'bad' or 'poorly made'. There are a lot of people paranoid about stands (rightly so)
Yip. Was just alluding to the fact the stands could use *more* few vertical plywood support and thicker end supports (as Water Box has done on the ends).

Extruded aluminum is super light. Should save companies on shipping. I recall Red Sea's flagship models use this. They seem to be bullet proof.

When paying thousands, no stand should sway even the slightest. They should be bullet proof. The addition of one vertical support beam to 'solve the problem' says something when looking at the big picture.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yip. Was just alluding to the fact the stands could use *more* few vertical plywood support and thicker end supports (as Water Box has done on the ends).

Extruded aluminum is super light. Should save companies on shipping. I recall Red Sea's flagship models use this. They seem to be bullet proof.

When paying thousands, no stand should sway even the slightest. They should be bullet proof. The addition of one vertical support beam to 'solve the problem' says something when looking at the big picture.
None of my redsea stand have swayed at all - but I would be worried if they did. It was my understanding that the new versions of their stands had extra stabilization (as well as the tanks)

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of other brands...The IM 200 will be my replacement for my 750 XXl if it decides to break on me. I will get the replacement and sell it as soon as I can and go with the IM tank and aluminum stand.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received and installed my aluminium support nearly a year ago.. what took so long for your friend to install his? It just seems like a long delay between the reinforcements being announced and sent out and your friend actually installing his.

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received and installed my aluminium support nearly a year ago.. what took so long for your friend to install his? It just seems like a long delay between the reinforcements being announced and sent out and your friend actually installing his.
He never got notified about them, maybe it's an issue for UK owners? He spotted a post about them on FB and got in touch to get one and installed it as soon as he received it.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He never got notified about them, maybe it's an issue for UK owners? He spotted a post about them on FB and got in touch to get one and installed it as soon as he received it.
I’m in Australia and was contacted by a Red Sea representative. That’s terrible service if UK owners were not contacted, it could have prevented damage occurring the your friends tank had they sent him the fix. I hope his tank holds up until a replacement arrives.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m in Australia and was contacted by a Red Sea representative. That’s terrible service if UK owners were not contacted, it could have prevented damage occurring the your friends tank had they sent him the fix. I hope his tank holds up until a replacement arrives.
From my understanding - everyone that 'registered' their tank with RedSea was notified. Also - the dealer from whom I bought mine notified and installed mine. If they didnt notify that is terrible customer service. Having said that - I'm not sure I was notified by RedSea - I do not see any email from them - but I did contact them by phone and they said 'I was already on the list' from my dealer.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.1%
Back