What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea has banned me from their Facebook group. Check out my above comments - are they inappropriate or offside in any way? This is unfortunate. I was about to buy a small Red Sea tank (170) but will steer clear until some transparency emerges.
Yep, welcome to the #BannedfromRedSeafacebook group. I got banned for posting pictures from there to here.

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea has banned me from their Facebook group. Check out my above comments - are they inappropriate or offside in any way? This is unfortunate. I was about to buy a small Red Sea tank (170) but will steer clear until some transparency emerges.

Yep garbage company and garbage facebook group. But can you give some details on what you posted or what happened?

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep garbage company and garbage facebook group. But can you give some details on what you posted or what happened?

Nothing unprofessional or untoward has been said - that's the peculiar thing. I've been academic in all regards.

I'm still ~confident in Red Sea's customer service but conscientious of the long-term stability of the system.

The Facebook group will not let users share any constructive feedback. That's concerning - how do products get better? They have branded constructive feedback as 'trolling' - which to be fair, I'm sure some is. But most are legit folks with legit concerns.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the club... Pessie probably got tired of your questions...

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I owned a 425xl for about 6 months... when I saw how garbage the build quality was I was pretty much over the tank and sold it. I truly just was not confident in their product... the overflow and cheap plumbing material and undersized plumbing just turned me off... I made a 3 tank, 2 huge sump, 400 gallon frag system just under what I paid for that 425xl and way more confident in the fact I built it... When I first bought the tank the pipe everyone talks about for the return piece was stripped and loaded with over 10 layers of teflon tape... water shot all over my living room and killed my Maxspect Razor power supply and on my brand new Apex... I called them up and they gave me a hard time about getting a new piece... At that time it was hard to find a dealer around to find spare parts... I think her name was Amanda... she was extremely rude and refused to work with me... The quickest she said they could get me the part was a week... I just ordered the part from marineandreef.com which got it to me in a day... lol! Since then, I will never buy a RedSea product again... NOTHING!!! Sorry, had to add to this... It had to take me dropping $2300 on that setup to figure it all out

dirtysock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a redsea reefer 350, purchased in 2017.

Recently I noticed my doors were unable to close properly. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the front support seems to be uneven.
Look at the area where the middle support is, you can see there’s a “hole” there and the whole thing looks uneven.

I don’t have the tools to measure the level of tank. However using the iPhone “measure level” function, I found that the level of the left side of the tank is slightly off by 1 degree.

Is this dangerous....I’m feeling paranoid right now.
A0289139-962A-4B28-8215-43C72635448C.jpeg

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a redsea reefer 350, purchased in 2017.

Recently I noticed my doors were unable to close properly. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the front support seems to be uneven.
Look at the area where the middle support is, you can see there’s a “hole” there and the whole thing looks uneven.

I don’t have the tools to measure the level of tank. However using the iPhone “measure level” function, I found that the level of the left side of the tank is slightly off by 1 degree.

Is this dangerous....I’m feeling paranoid right now.
A0289139-962A-4B28-8215-43C72635448C.jpeg
One easy way to check level is to use a ruler or tape measure. Measure from the top edge of the aquarium to the water line in all the corners. You will quickly see what is off. Do this with pumps off and with calm water.

An inexpensive level will be a tool you will use for ever go buy one. You won’t regret it.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while. Can member who had issues post updates on how things have gone? Any new issues posted on the Facebook page or still being censored?
I was deleted from FB group - for reason I am uncertain. Asking questions on this topic can get you banned from the FB group it appears. I trust Red Sea will distance themselves from the Red Sea FB group... which is reportedly run independent of the company.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was deleted from FB group - for reason I am uncertain. Asking questions on this topic can get you banned from the FB group it appears. I trust Red Sea will distance themselves from the Red Sea FB group... which is reportedly run independent of the company.
The crazy thing is that I support Red Sea... just bought a new RS peninsula, dosing chemicals, etc.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my air conditioning failed and nuked my tank the HVAC guys told me they had never seen wear on an HVAC system like mine except in maritime conditions, and that special maritime units are made for those areas. Since my HVAC is over a decade old now I am considering replacing it with a maritime unit when the time comes.

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I owned a 425xl for about 6 months... when I saw how garbage the build quality was I was pretty much over the tank and sold it. I truly just was not confident in their product... the overflow and cheap plumbing material and undersized plumbing just turned me off... I made a 3 tank, 2 huge sump, 400 gallon frag system just under what I paid for that 425xl and way more confident in the fact I built it... When I first bought the tank the pipe everyone talks about for the return piece was stripped and loaded with over 10 layers of teflon tape... water shot all over my living room and killed my Maxspect Razor power supply and on my brand new Apex... I called them up and they gave me a hard time about getting a new piece... At that time it was hard to find a dealer around to find spare parts... I think her name was Amanda... she was extremely rude and refused to work with me... The quickest she said they could get me the part was a week... I just ordered the part from marineandreef.com which got it to me in a day... lol! Since then, I will never buy a RedSea product again... NOTHING!!! Sorry, had to add to this... It had to take me dropping $2300 on that setup to figure it all out

Man, I'm in the same boat as you right now.

I just put together a 350. I had a 525XL that I bought used at my old home and was pleased with the build quality! But this brand new 350 seems completely inferior in every way -- maybe it's just me or did the material quality change? (Or maybe cheaper materials on the smaller tank stand b/c less weight). Looking at the stand design alone I will never order another. No matter what I do I can't get my sump to rest with all corners on the stand -- I think the sheet it rests on is warped. The tank itself looks good, as far as I can tell, and is bang on level and supported at all pads. EXCEPT THE MIDDLE PADS that are impossible to shim under the stand! I'm lucky my stand appears supported under there. I'd consider this a design flaw and a total red flag for people looking into putting these tanks on imperfect flooring. I didn't notice this detail on my 525 because I bought it used and put it on perfect floor. Additionally the standpipes, while they don't leak, do not sit perpendicular to the tank and the overflow bulkheads were drilled off center from the overflow box, preventing the snaps that hold the pipes to the stand from aligning properly.

I don't think my 350 will hold up long-term and I think within the year I will be transitioning (yet again) to another tank with a sturdy steel or aluminum stand. It's not fun inspecting the seams frequently on a $2000 tank you just bought.

Sorry, needed to vent my experience here as I'm distraught over this.

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't they just recently switch from their old cabinet material MDF - to a new cabinet material - what they call "fortified plywood"...?

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got sent this by my mate with a 750xxl last night....
received_298188638138368.jpeg

Obvious separation in the seam between the white lines.
Has anyone else in this position suffered a catastrophic failure or has the tank just leaked? He's contacted Red Sea but I'd hate to see it pop while he's waiting to hear back from them.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Has anyone else in this position suffered a catastrophic failure or has the tank just leaked? He's contacted Red Sea but I'd hate to see it pop while he's waiting to hear back from them.

does he have the new brace in place?

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So the damage was done before the brace was added? I can see there is a brace installed in the pic.

hopefully the brace prevents further damage until it can be replaced..

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the damage was done before the brace was added? I can see there is a brace installed in the pic.

hopefully the brace prevents further damage until it can be replaced..
I'm guessing so. I went and had a look in person this morning and it hasn't gotten any worse since yesterday. It's about 1/8" wide and 12-14" long (I didn't have a tape handy to measure it). He's made initial contact with Red Sea and is waiting for a decision from them as to what they're going to do, it's still under warranty so IMO it should be replaced.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is that on a Red Sea stand?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back