What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

Ozzydeanizzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to my knowledge. Those tanks are fine. The 750 fails are really old news by now. Unless you own an unregistered tank and therefor have not gotten the supports, you are okay.
Ok cheers for the info
I was a bit worried about mine after reading all the problems
Not to my knowledge. Those tanks are fine. The 750 fails are really old news by now. Unless you own an unregistered tank and therefor have not gotten the supports, you are okay.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap never heard about this.. I never trusted rimless tanks but never knew about this crazy bottom overhang. seems like a ticking time bomb. Not to mention RS not factoring most of these tanks are going to be running MP40s - which put massive stress on the all areas of the glass. I never wondered why these companys dont just a glass eurobrace on the top, which i think most ppl would prefer.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap never heard about this.. I never trusted rimless tanks but never knew about this crazy bottom overhang. seems like a ticking time bomb. Not to mention RS not factoring most of these tanks are going to be running MP40s - which put massive stress on the all areas of the glass. I never wondered why these companys dont just a glass eurobrace on the top, which i think most ppl would prefer.
It was certainly a thing back in the day. Read the first post dated August 2019. You will find that the factory addition of an aluminum support strut has resolved the issue for the 750. It is a free retrofit for the old tanks.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just heard of another 750xxl failure of the front panel seam this morning on a R2R thread. They have had the retrofit brace installed for quite some time, and yet the front seam sprung a large leak right in the center of the tank. I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would post as many of us were a little skeptical of the retrofit brace and some of us are at the three year warranty mark. According to this person they had a bubble in the seam prior to the brace and were told basically the same the by RS as I, not to worry about it, picture and email response to my initial inquiry below. So, I’m wondering if there are any fellow reefers still out there with this generation tank that are towards the end of the extended warranty and a little nervous?
1653940752346.jpeg

mail
XXXXXX (Red Sea Group)
Nov 8, 16:35 GMT
Hey there Dillion,

Thank you for sending over those photos of your aquarium, I am able to see a little better what you are seeing!

So the spot you are seeing just looks like a cosmetic variation in the silicone because it is not peeling or bubbling where it is in contact with the water in the aquarium. This spot on your seam would likely not be noticed if you your aquarium was not bare bottom. Since there is no sand in the aquarium blocking the light from the bottom of the aquarium - the light will refract in the glass giving many more reflections through the glass. You can add sand to the aquarium and this should not stick out anymore. But if you would like to remain with the bare bottom - you can put a bit of 795 black silicone in the space on the bottom, and this should fill up the variation well.

I just wanted to give you peace of mind as well - that being able to slide a piece of paper in between the aquarium and the cabinet is not conclusive evidence of a failing aquarium or cabinet. This is something that someone made up online, and does not contribute to the support of the aquarium. The main support of the aquarium is located on the perimeter of the aquarium - and the new support kit that is being sent out to you will add additional support to the front of the aquarium.

As mentioned, we are sending out the kits today and next week - so you should be receiving a tracking number soon! You can most certainly keep us updated with your aquarium and if you see anything progress with this region - just let us know! Hope you have a great weekend.
Best Regards,
XXXXXXRed Sea Group
Red Sea

XXXXXX(Red Sea Group)
November 19, 2019, 14:46 GMT
Good morning Dillion,

Apologies I did not reply right away, I have sent your photos directly to our senior technical support office. They were able to discuss the photos with one of our aquarium engineers. I have what they have concluded below:

"From what I can see in the picture, there is an small air bubble very close to the external edge of the silicone seal. I cannot be certain, however it looks like the bubble is in the area of the chamfered corners of the glass and is not even in the area that bonds the panels together. I believe that this aquarium must have left the factory in this state and has only been noticed today. In my opinion, there is no cause for concern. Having said that, it makes sense to keep an eye on it and let us know if there is any change over time."

You should have no worries in the integrity of the aquarium seam, since this is not where it is bonded. As mentioned in my previous email you can always fill the small gap to make the seam look completely uniform as intended. If there is any growth in the bubble in the seam even after filling it you should see it. But you most likely will not see any growth in ths region, more so if it is filled with a dab of silicone.

Just keep us updated, and we are always happy to help!
Best Regards,
XXXXXX
Red Sea Group
Red Sea

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
So I just heard of another 750xxl failure of the front panel seam this morning on a R2R thread. They have had the retrofit brace installed for quite some time, and yet the front seam sprung a large leak right in the center of the tank. I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would post as many of us were a little skeptical of the retrofit brace and some of us are at the three year warranty mark. According to this person they had a bubble in the seam prior to the brace and were told basically the same the by RS as I, not to worry about it, picture and email response to my initial inquiry below. So, I’m wondering if there are any fellow reefers still out there with this generation tank that are towards the end of the extended warranty and a little nervous?
1653940752346.jpeg

mail
XXXXXX (Red Sea Group)
Hey there Dillion,

Thank you for sending over those photos of your aquarium, I am able to see a little better what you are seeing!

So the spot you are seeing just looks like a cosmetic variation in the silicone because it is not peeling or bubbling where it is in contact with the water in the aquarium. This spot on your seam would likely not be noticed if you your aquarium was not bare bottom. Since there is no sand in the aquarium blocking the light from the bottom of the aquarium - the light will refract in the glass giving many more reflections through the glass. You can add sand to the aquarium and this should not stick out anymore. But if you would like to remain with the bare bottom - you can put a bit of 795 black silicone in the space on the bottom, and this should fill up the variation well.

I just wanted to give you peace of mind as well - that being able to slide a piece of paper in between the aquarium and the cabinet is not conclusive evidence of a failing aquarium or cabinet. This is something that someone made up online, and does not contribute to the support of the aquarium. The main support of the aquarium is located on the perimeter of the aquarium - and the new support kit that is being sent out to you will add additional support to the front of the aquarium.

As mentioned, we are sending out the kits today and next week - so you should be receiving a tracking number soon! You can most certainly keep us updated with your aquarium and if you see anything progress with this region - just let us know! Hope you have a great weekend.
Best Regards,
XXXXXXRed Sea Group
Red Sea

XXXXXX(Red Sea Group)
Good morning Dillion,

Apologies I did not reply right away, I have sent your photos directly to our senior technical support office. They were able to discuss the photos with one of our aquarium engineers. I have what they have concluded below:

"From what I can see in the picture, there is an small air bubble very close to the external edge of the silicone seal. I cannot be certain, however it looks like the bubble is in the area of the chamfered corners of the glass and is not even in the area that bonds the panels together. I believe that this aquarium must have left the factory in this state and has only been noticed today. In my opinion, there is no cause for concern. Having said that, it makes sense to keep an eye on it and let us know if there is any change over time."

You should have no worries in the integrity of the aquarium seam, since this is not where it is bonded. As mentioned in my previous email you can always fill the small gap to make the seam look completely uniform as intended. If there is any growth in the bubble in the seam even after filling it you should see it. But you most likely will not see any growth in ths region, more so if it is filled with a dab of silicone.

Best Regards,
XXXXXX
Red Sea Group
Red Sea
Thanks for sharing

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing
No problem, I didn’t share the post as I’m visually impaired and this forum isn’t friendly with the screen reader I use. The members handle is goodtimes and the post was an update to his BRS xxl750 dreamtank giveaway build thread if anyone wants to see the pictures.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1653940752346.jpeg

mail
XXXXXX (Red Sea Group)
Hey there Dillion,

Best Regards,
XXXXXXRed Sea Group
Red Sea

XXXXXX(Red Sea Group)
Good morning Dillion,

Best Regards,
XXXXXX
Red Sea Group
Red Sea
…and I’m not here bashing RS. I believed the email responses I got from them that my issue isn’t wasn’t what they’ve seen before and is cosmetic in nature. After hearing this most recent story, it sounds very similar to mine and it’s making me question it again. Especially as I’m nearing the 3 year warranty.

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So version 3s are going now. My next tank will be overbuilt with a frame or some sort of bracing with a stand where the entire glass pane does not hang off the stand

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes me think that if a 3rd Grade class did a building project, the kids wouldn’t have a glass pane hanging off the stand?

PHXHobbies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we have the Reefer XL 525 System (108 Gal) - Red Sea (DISCONTINUED) which is about 6 months old now and it is the latest V3 version. Anyone have feedback on the V3?

I have seen and read many many things about the brace failures so I am extremely worried. I kindly reached out to RedSea about brace options that may be available and they told me "The specific version of the Reefer 525 (V3) you have purchased has all of these engineering changes implemented so whatever comments you have seen on social media do not apply to your system. Please note that your Reefer 525 aquarium measures 22.6” front to back and therefore does not need a front support. We do not have any brace kit that would fit your system. Adding any type of additional bracing to your aquarium is deemed unnecessary and would be at your discretion"

I just recently found this thread so I am going to go through it all and review. almost 50 pages worth of reading!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we have the Reefer XL 525 System (108 Gal) - Red Sea (DISCONTINUED) which is about 6 months old now and it is the latest V3 version. Anyone have feedback on the V3?

I have seen and read many many things about the brace failures so I am extremely worried. I kindly reached out to RedSea about brace options that may be available and they told me "The specific version of the Reefer 525 (V3) you have purchased has all of these engineering changes implemented so whatever comments you have seen on social media do not apply to your system. Please note that your Reefer 525 aquarium measures 22.6” front to back and therefore does not need a front support. We do not have any brace kit that would fit your system. Adding any type of additional bracing to your aquarium is deemed unnecessary and would be at your discretion"

I just recently found this thread so I am going to go through it all and review. almost 50 pages worth of reading!
My 525 is 8 years old now and going strong. Statistically the same will be true for you. RS builds/sells more tanks than all others combined. Stuff happens. RS tanks fail. Social media misses the larger picture in favor of sensationalism.

Make sure the tank, stand and floor are level!

PHXHobbies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 525 is 8 years old now and going strong. Statistically the same will be true for you. RS builds/sells more tanks than all others combined. Stuff happens. RS tanks fail. Social media misses the larger picture in favor of sensationalism.

Make sure the tank, stand and floor are level!

We definitely make sure of that! The only thing that has physically alarmed us is that the front glass panel has about an inch overhang from the stand with nothing underneath to support. The front doors are about a half inch down from the front glass panel.

My boss being the engineer that he is goes to extreme lengths and concerns so I totally understand how he feels so I just need to keep my fingers crossed or one day I will come into work and a brace will be installed lol

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back