What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great - I had the same problem - the brace solved the problem.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate on the MP40/glass stress comment? Is this tested and conformed or anecdotal?

It makes sense to me but curious if there is a quantifiable amount of stress involved. I have a 625XXL and 2 MP40's so this is near and dear to my heart. :)
Lol, dont stress it man I am sure your fine. I was just quoting what a custom tank manufacture said to me when designing my 115 gallons. I took flow to the next level, so much so that 9 peppermint shrimps could not survive and all endedup in my mp40. I love nutrient transport mode and had 2" waves random throughout the day!. Some of these flow cycles are just used because it was my first custom made tank and designed to handle ridiculous flow.

If it really bothers you I would plan to add euro brace to the top and make sure the front panel is supported fully. I am kind of annoyed they do not offer eurobraced tanks commercially. It does require that much more labor and material to make but It takes alot of pressure of the bottom panels. Many reefers have your tank - including Jake/ reefbuilders, Ryan from BRS, WWC, every LFS and list goes on! so don't worry you will be fine.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had an Elos 90 back in day and the glass overhang just like this. No problems at all.
So yeah the glass overhang in front can be done right.
No worries just on that.
And in 99 percent of redsea tanks it's fine as well. As far as I can tell.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RS tanks

We watched oceanic turn out tanks that weighed as much as a tank for thirty years and have no such pattern, fact.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Red Sea had a huge issue with tank fronts busting out but that has improved and in fact havent heard much over the last 2+ years

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we can probably expect their turnaround to be a lot like the plastic 200w heaters that used to melt and release black goo into folk's tanks. after many many meltdown tank crash threads they made a new version/haven't heard much since. I can't even recall their name I ditched their 50w version as soon as that trend emerged. I literally forgot about them after the last ____heater melted and crashed my tank thread, honestly can't recall their brand.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
we can probably expect their turnaround to be a lot like the plastic 200w heaters that used to melt and release black goo into folk's tanks. after many many meltdown tank crash threads they made a new version/haven't heard much since. I can't even recall their name I ditched their 50w version as soon as that trend emerged.
Very true- The famous cobalts

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
da 'therms you're right lol. neomeltmyreef heaters. rs is now required to complete a 5 year consistent no more broken seams thread extinction before I trust anything of theirs over nano size, due to weight and engineering sleeping on the job/apparently.

this includes all old tanks; their qc will be so effective as to head off all future seam breaks by tracking down every purchaser proactively. without that, you're purely a grandstanding flower vase to me rs. who wants to have to carefully arbitrarily pick a release/edition date for rs tank to not spew 150 gallons all on the floor. if I used twitter or even agreed to click on it lol I bet they're having an accountability crisis? isn't the mode of the day a total dogpiling digitally

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been mulling over doing a 100g peninsula reef as an upgrade to my Red Sea reefer 170 and will be looking at other brands, that’s for sure. I can’t financially (wood floors and all in addition to the tank) and emotionally (very high demand career) handle a 100g tank explosion.

What are some solid alternatives?

-Matt

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
they are just really expensive.
This hobby is expensive and I see our cost of reefing goods are in pace with inflation as they too have been climbing

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know if there has been a poll (maybe I'll post one) - to my recollection every tank has had a seam split. mainland MARINELAND (the larger tanks were a total disaster for a while years ago). I have a 200 gallon and a 100 gallon RedSea tank - I do not particularly like the layout of the sump/cabinet - other than that - I view it as the same as the other rimless tanks. I have already verified - that if my tank breaks - (just like if a pipe breaks) - the damage is covered (the livestock, etc are not). The tank and damaged equipment would also be covered. I would strongly suggest that everyone - especially with a larger tank - verify that if it breaks, etc - any damage is covered. All policies do not (they consider it 'damage from animals' - or 'a chronic problem'. I remember once being little - and a friend of our parents had a 10 gallon tank in their living room - it broke and cost 100's of dollars of damage (which would be thousands now)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I don't know if there has been a poll (maybe I'll post one) - to my recollection every tank has had a seam split. mainland MARINELAND (the larger tanks were a total disaster for a while years ago). I have a 200 gallon and a 100 gallon RedSea tank - I do not particularly like the layout of the sump/cabinet - other than that - I view it as the same as the other rimless tanks. I have already verified - that if my tank breaks - (just like if a pipe breaks) - the damage is covered (the livestock, etc are not). The tank and damaged equipment would also be covered. I would strongly suggest that everyone - especially with a larger tank - verify that if it breaks, etc - any damage is covered. All policies do not (they consider it 'damage from animals' - or 'a chronic problem'. I remember once being little - and a friend of our parents had a 10 gallon tank in their living room - it broke and cost 100's of dollars of damage (which would be thousands now)
that is correct. It was mainly the 150DD/300dd and all the large Cubes especially 150g cube

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here We Go Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RS tanks

We watched oceanic turn out tanks that weighed as much as a tank for thirty years and have no such pattern, fact.
No kidding.

I once had a client upgrade from a 150 Oceanic to 250 gal acrylic. The Oceanic was already like 20 years old, ribbons of silicone hanging from the joints, and had a bunch of scratches (somehow) in the glass from a previous maintenance company, but I moved it and set it up in my shop as a big refugium.

It handled the move just fine. No issues after setting it up. Then when I moved into a new space, I modified my system and no longer had room (or desire) for the Oceanic.

Got it into my dumpster and then figured it would be better to smash it up so it didn’t take up a bunch of space.

After about the 6th time I chucked a 16oz hammer at the front, it finally cracked . The first 5 times I threw the hammer at the tank, it just doinked off the glass like a rubber ball. I would bet money that it still would have held water even with the crack.

Meanwhile, for most of those decades, Red Sea was considered one of the garbage companies. They really have reworked their branding, but you know what they say about tigers and stripes.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey that's neat to know considering your experience years in the hobby. you're in the field working with them/my experience was pet store talk 2001 onward and forum pics and documentation. I just know they were artillery-tolerant tanks I was lucky to own a 75 gallon oceanic planted tank in '97 and it took four young men to move it when empty lol

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m in the starting stages of planning a tank upgrade (to 150-180 gallons) in the next 6 months and am wondering if I should even consider Red Sea for my next system.

What’s everyones take on buying a new Reefer system today? I feel like there have been a new spate of seam failure reports as of late. Also feels like Red Sea does everything to absolve themselves of responsibility when a tank fails due to manufacturer defect.

Would really want a Innovative Marine EXT 170 peninsula, but alas they don’t make it in that configuration (I also don‘t like the style of their stand doors, lol).

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot advocate that purchase. Agreed to your risk evaluation

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m in the starting stages of planning a tank upgrade (to 150-180 gallons) in the next 6 months and am wondering if I should even consider Red Sea for my next system.

What’s everyones take on buying a new Reefer system today? I feel like there have been a new spate of seam failure reports as of late. Also feels like Red Sea does everything to absolve themselves of responsibility when a tank fails due to manufacturer defect.

Would really want a Innovative Marine EXT 170 peninsula, but alas they don’t make it in that configuration (I also don‘t like the style of their stand doors, lol).
Every tank has had issues - RedSea has new stands now - and there is a fix for old ones. It's always a risk buying a large tank. I have 2 RedSea tanks - have had no problems for >5 years

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back