What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what if vehicles were like that

only guaranteed to not explode to buyer 1

doesn't having to make a caveat for never buy red sea used matter in the purchase drive or the recommend to own a red sea tank

In 30 years of aquarium keeping-of all tanks I've ever owned or saw in pet stores or discussed with friends online, did not have this issue of buyer beware

any stand that held the weight of a tank just worked, it's red sea's design flaws that always try and blame the stand.

we're looking at $$ damage in just this one thread.

oceanic and their 5000 pound tanks never had this issue. I know right now ten oceanic past owners will say they split a seam, but it never happened irl to me ever online before the need to balance this thread with other namebrand losses

this is a serious matter of fifty pages by red sea.

can anyone right now show me a ten page thread, since 2001, of oceanic reef tanks splitting?

if the answer is no, recommending red sea is flat dangerous and only reflects owning a lucky production model.
Google marineland tank failures - Oceanic tanks have not been made for some time (the large ones - I wonder why?).

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google marineland tank failures
Yeah, Marineland had some serious problems, especially with their large 'Deep Dimension' tanks.
Oceanic tanks have not been made for some time (the large ones - I wonder why?).
Oceanic tanks were 'tanks'. The people that were in charge there are now the Planet Aquariums people. Very high quality stuff.

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious. Has anyone seen issues with the reefer 170? I was thinking about snagging a used one for a small play tank. but all this reading has me a bit hesitant.
Get it if you want it. I would recommend you stop reading these alarmist whines. I did the same before and ended up confusing a shadow cast by the sand as a failing seal. Every company has a certain defect rate and occasional recalls or design flaws. Red Sea tanks are very well made and I’ve had no trouble with the two I have. They also seem to stand by their products.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, Marineland had some serious problems, especially with their large 'Deep Dimension' tanks.

Oceanic tanks were 'tanks'. The people that were in charge there are now the Planet Aquariums people. Very high quality stuff.
My point was that large aquaria break - and large aquaria only apply to a segment of the 'fish-keeping market'. My guess is that oceanic doesn't make the tanks because it was not profitable to do so - with their quality level/price point?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is that oceanic doesn't make the tanks because it was not profitable to do so - with their quality level/price point?
Could be. Some of those people are now the Planet Aquarium people out of Texas, and those tanks are more expensive than the cheapest tanks like Aqueon and Marineland.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious. Has anyone seen issues with the reefer 170? I was thinking about snagging a used one for a small play tank. but all this reading has me a bit hesitant.

Get it if you want it. I would recommend you stop reading these alarmist whines. I did the same before and ended up confusing a shadow cast by the sand as a failing seal. Every company has a certain defect rate and occasional recalls or design flaws. Red Sea tanks are very well made and I’ve had no trouble with the two I have. They also seem to stand by their products.

I got one about 2-3 weeks ago myself (RSR170) and Iike it - after reading through this thread it seems the failures related to stand issues were primarily the larger tanks, mainly the 750XXL if I'm not mistaken. The stand is basically IKEA - the material and fasteners are identical (melamine coated particle board, stud and rotating latch fasteners, if you've ever put something from IKEA together you know what I mean) so if this was the same material used for a very large tank I could see how that could be inadequate, but I would hope that something beefier was used for the larger tanks

SpunCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into purchasing a used P650 setup. Based on this thread, should I stay away? I've had a few people advise me to be cautious with red sea.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would base the purchase solely on red sea's response to this thread vs the actual thread

How does the company factor, explain, offer assurances to seam break questions

Reach out to them on Facebook and ask to at least discuss seam failure issues, if any. If they're stellar on response/ buy

And if not...

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My e260 just failed.

9 hours later, I had to go local and pick up a tank for 2k so I did not lose all my fish and coral.

20230317_200905.jpg
20230317_175904.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey that's not a small potatoes reef tank transfer either, that's $ bigtime. nice job pulling that off with no notice, biologically that's pretty emt of you.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey that's not a small potatoes reef tank transfer either, that's $ bigtime. nice job pulling that off with no notice, biologically that's pretty emt of you.

That is the thing, we were so worried about our fish, coral, inverts that no amount of money was really too much. I dropped $2k on a tank yesterday and likely 1500 more today because I am done with these Red Sea lights, skimmer will not fit. We started this at 6pm Friday, we went to bed at 4am. Luckily a really good neighbor helped me get the tank in the house with zero notice, I have no truck and he just showed up and helped me load it. No notice!

We just did a head count and it looks like we did not lose any fish. I know some coral may had been buried, but we will recover. Since the old tank had paly's and zoas completely covering the back I would not sleep with the old tank in the house, I have already had palytoxin poisoning. So we took a box blade and tore the old tank down glass plate by glass plate, I simple could not lift that heavy tank.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am truly humbled by reading that effort, your significant other is a trooper 100% as well, that's simply full on reef tank surgery with complication guiding required afterwards with full family support required in order not to lose thousands of dollars in life not even counting the thousands of dollars that time in establishment is working. that's excellent reef tank emt response man. excellence under presh

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is the thing, we were so worried about our fish, coral, inverts that no amount of money was really too much. I dropped $2k on a tank yesterday and likely 1500 more today because I am done with these Red Sea lights, skimmer will not fit. We started this at 6pm Friday, we went to bed at 4am. Luckily a really good neighbor helped me get the tank in the house with zero notice, I have no truck and he just showed up and helped me load it. No notice!

We just did a head count and it looks like we did not lose any fish. I know some coral may had been buried, but we will recover. Since the old tank had paly's and zoas completely covering the back I would not sleep with the old tank in the house, I have already had palytoxin poisoning. So we took a box blade and tore the old tank down glass plate by glass plate, I simple could not lift that heavy tank.
Wow. Reefer dedication of the year so far. Really sorry to hear about what happened. Make sure to get that neighbor a six pack of his choice!

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Reefer dedication of the year so far. Really sorry to hear about what happened. Make sure to get that neighbor a six pack of his choice!

We are still in the middle of getting things setup, but we are over the hump so to speak. New tank is setup, water is clearing and most corals appear to have survived. I am going to go by the liquor store Monday or Tuesday and pick him up a nice bottle of something and gift wrap it.

The busted tank was a Red Sea Max e250, I think or is it e260? The new tank is a 79 gallon Planet Aquarium, I really like that the stand is real wood, maple I think? That is the biggest I wanted to go but the local guy only had two tanks and the other was around a 5 foot 120, too big for me.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update, things are opening up well enough I think I did not lose any coral. This is the crazy thing, we left the sump outside and we thought we had gotten all of the hermits out of it. There were two or three aztec hermits that were hiding. Somehow they were still alive in 40 degree weather in barely any water overnight. They are doing fine now back in 77 degree water, those little guys were hardcore tough.

We have everything with the old tank cleaned up, I found a home for the old sump and stand and the mess is cleaned up, the house is back to normal. Never would I had thought this was how I was spending my weekend.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back