What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and we did have one laugh through the stressful move. We started with one tiger tail cucumber, now we have three.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not buying the 3ullsh!t everyone is saying about them being moved. I have had some type of aquarium for 35 years now, many were moved on a whim when I wanted to try something different and not one time have I had a cracked pane or a seam failure. Something about either the bond of their silicone or the stand is the cause. I am leaning more on the sealant just being substandard or their application method sucks. And if the debate is that somehow their tanks are that fragile and cannot be moved without being compromised and somehow that is acceptable, well sorry but I do not want that product.

This is heart breaking for me though. My back glass was almost completely covered in coral which was my goal, I wanted coral completely covering everything but my viewing areas, I was months away from that. This also set me back quite a bit of money and not a negligible amount either. I will not ever purchase anything else with a Red Sea stamp on it, I always fight with my dollar on a company that has poor practices.

Either way I am moving past it, different brand of tank now and slightly bigger. My corals are slowly opening back up and with luck within a few weeks they will have adjusted to the new lighting (not red sea) and the shock of all of the change.

Last edited:

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the stands for the larger tanks are anything like the one for the RSR170 (which is basically an Ikea type stand) then I would say the stand is at the core of all issues

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the stands for the larger tanks are anything like the one for the RSR170 (which is basically an Ikea type stand) then I would say the stand is at the core of all issues
I noticed there was a slight dip in the middle of my stand, not huge but enough to notice. I could not tell if there was actually a gap between the glass and the leveling pad or not. I was a little put off about how they used MDF material around salt water, even if they coated it with epoxy or whatever they use. My new stand is maple and in a lot of places is 1.5" thick.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am truly humbled by reading that effort, your significant other is a trooper 100% as well, that's simply full on reef tank surgery with complication guiding required afterwards with full family support required in order not to lose thousands of dollars in life not even counting the thousands of dollars that time in establishment is working. that's excellent reef tank emt response man. excellence under presh

She has gotten into the hobby as much as I am, but we both have our different roles we fill, she is the water tester and coral placer. She was out there in the cold helping me tear down the red sea, that Sunday she spent hours with a box blade scraping the silicone off the glass to form our new expensive glass shelves in the garage.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
design flaws are at red alert level regardless of the cause. There’s no possible way I would own one even if the stand was solid granite and leveled

if a red sea tank was given to me, I’d throw it away. This is a five year old thread on the matter, new entrants daily

I've asked reefbuilders to do a review on the matter, awaiting disposition of the request.

Last edited:

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
design flaws are at red alert level regardless of the cause. There’s no possible way I would own one even if the stand was solid granite and leveled

if a red sea tank was given to me, I’d throw it away. This is a five year old thread on the matter, new entrants daily

I concur.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed there was a slight dip in the middle of my stand
There should be no dip whatsoever. Rimless glass tanks absolutely require a solid, flat, well supported surface. Rimmed tanks are different in this regard, you can support a 120g 2x2x4 tank just by the 6" along each corner if you have to (any longer than that requires full support around the perimeter).

Both rimless glass and acrylic require flat solid full support. Glass need compressible material under it, like neoprene or white polystyrene foam, but this is to account for and remove the effects of any pokey items on the stand surface that would cause glass to shatter, not to be a buffer for providing 100% true even support.

So yeah, if the larger stands are made with coated particle board (melamine, etc), I'd say you have better odds of that being the root cause of the issue vs all in on one number on the roulette table.

Personally I think the tanks themselves are not the problem. Show me someone who built their own quality stand and still had a seam blow? Either way I think Red Sea screwed the pooch when they went with that cheap --- stand. Beyond that I could see not trusting any other decisions they made

Like their app. What a piece of junk that is.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The G2's have entered the chat.

Christian0505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My e260 just failed.

9 hours later, I had to go local and pick up a tank for 2k so I did not lose all my fish and coral.

20230317_200905.jpg
20230317_175904.jpg

had the same tank, same issue. I could actually put about 5 sheets of paper between the bottom of the tank and the cabinet, with an air bubble inside the seam. Emailed red sea about it, and I got a response that I shouldn’t worry about it if it didn’t get worse…. I ditched the whole tank…

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be no dip whatsoever. Rimless glass tanks absolutely require a solid, flat, well supported surface. Rimmed tanks are different in this regard, you can support a 120g 2x2x4 tank just by the 6" along each corner if you have to (any longer than that requires full support around the perimeter).

Both rimless glass and acrylic require flat solid full support. Glass need compressible material under it, like neoprene or white polystyrene foam, but this is to account for and remove the effects of any pokey items on the stand surface that would cause glass to shatter, not to be a buffer for providing 100% true even support.

So yeah, if the larger stands are made with coated particle board (melamine, etc), I'd say you have better odds of that being the root cause of the issue vs all in on one number on the roulette table.

Personally I think the tanks themselves are not the problem. Show me someone who built their own quality stand and still had a seam blow? Either way I think Red Sea screwed the pooch when they went with that cheap --- stand. Beyond that I could see not trusting any other decisions they made

Like their app. What a piece of junk that is.

If you are talking about Reefbeat, I hated that app. Not to mention I have about 30 devices in my house that hook to my Unifi network, the redsea lights were the only devices that seemed to always keep a poor connection and they were within feet of an access point. The lights are encased in metal, not great for getting a signal out.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The G2's have entered the chat.

Really unbelievable

Christian0505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had the same tank, same issue. I could actually put about 5 sheets of paper between the bottom of the tank and the cabinet, with an air bubble inside the seam. Emailed red sea about it, and I got a response that I shouldn’t worry about it if it didn’t get worse…. I ditched the whole tank…

F0624A0A-61DF-4DE8-B5C8-0DC656A31294.jpeg
9B46975F-5ECC-4FA2-8724-81AC195E5BAF.jpeg

DB6F60FA-7CB2-494D-8EC5-BF48CEE2E26B.jpeg

Last edited:

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy when I was looking for my firat tank in a decade I decided against red sea because I didn't like the dimensions or else I would be in this same situation a year from now. It would be one thing if RS handlied these issues with amazing support and grace, but that just isn't the case.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm happy when I was looking for my firat tank in a decade I decided against red sea because I didn't like the dimensions or else I would be in this same situation a year from now. It would be one thing if RS handlied these issues with amazing support and grace, but that just isn't the case.
I'm just going to end my comments here - by saying 1. reds has always answered quickly - and positively to any questions/concerns with my tank. 2). there are thousands of tanks out there from RedSea without any problems. I'm sorry to hear about the issues this poster has. 3). It's my understanding that this is not the forum for these types of complaints.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's my understanding that this is not the forum for these types of complaints.
If not on a forum of avid hobbyists and potential buyers, then where might this conversation be more appropriate? We know the RS FB forum is not the answer.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 45 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back