What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the starting stages of planning a tank upgrade (to 150-180 gallons) in the next 6 months and am wondering if I should even consider Red Sea for my next system.

What’s everyones take on buying a new Reefer system today? I feel like there have been a new spate of seam failure reports as of late. Also feels like Red Sea does everything to absolve themselves of responsibility when a tank fails due to manufacturer defect.

Would really want a Innovative Marine EXT 170 peninsula, but alas they don’t make it in that configuration (I also don‘t like the style of their stand doors, lol).

Have you looked at CADE? I can’t say I have owned one but seem to hear a lot of good about them.

Red Sea would be lower on my choice just because customer service seemed kinda blah in some of these posts.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you looked at CADE? I can’t say I have owned one but seem to hear a lot of good about them.

Red Sea would be lower on my choice just because customer service seemed kinda blah in some of these posts.

Considering all options at this point, and their 1500 peninsula meets nearly all my wants (only wish the stand wasn’t divided). Wonder if I can convince AlgaeBarn to order me one :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: (edit: spoke too soon, I see it listed!). Thanks much!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering all options at this point, and their 1500 peninsula meets nearly all my wants (only wish the stand wasn’t divided). Wonder if I can convince AlgaeBarn to order me one :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: (edit: spoke too soon, I see it listed!). Thanks much!
SCA makes a 150 gallon with similar dimensions. You would want to contact them to get the overflow on the end instead of back.

airbats801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious. Has anyone seen issues with the reefer 170? I was thinking about snagging a used one for a small play tank. but all this reading has me a bit hesitant.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious. Has anyone seen issues with the reefer 170? I was thinking about snagging a used one for a small play tank. but all this reading has me a bit hesitant.
Personally, I would not have an issue with getting a 170. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found this thread as I'm about to pick up a RSR 170, I did a few searches and it seems like failures with the 170 are very uncommon...

Personally, I would not have an issue with getting a 170.

...but I do want to be 100% sure that I check everything on this setup. Is there anything in particular that I need to pay attention to? I haven't had time to scan this entire thread so I'm hoping for that quick fix lol

Every tank has had issues - RedSea has new stands now - and there is a fix for old ones. It's always a risk buying a large tank. I have 2 RedSea tanks - have had no problems for >5 years

Is there a fix that is applicable to all RSR setups, or is this only for the 750?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's fantastic to sample ideas from the community here, predictions etc. glad you posted here, as a buyer this is very good feedback for the market and for the site/and for red sea as a company as well.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found this thread as I'm about to pick up a RSR 170, I did a few searches and it seems like failures with the 170 are very uncommon...

...but I do want to be 100% sure that I check everything on this setup. Is there anything in particular that I need to pay attention to? I haven't had time to scan this entire thread so I'm hoping for that quick fix lol

Is there a fix that is applicable to all RSR setups, or is this only for the 750?
Assuming you are buying new, there is nothing to be concerned about. I don't buy used tanks, but that is just me.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what if vehicles were like that

only guaranteed to not explode to buyer 1

doesn't having to make a caveat for never buy red sea used matter in the purchase drive or the recommend to own a red sea tank

In 30 years of aquarium keeping-of all tanks I've ever owned or saw in pet stores or discussed with friends online, did not have this issue of buyer beware

any stand that held the weight of a tank just worked, it's red sea's design flaws that always try and blame the stand.

we're looking at $$ damage in just this one thread.

oceanic and their 5000 pound tanks never had this issue. I know right now ten oceanic past owners will say they split a seam, but it never happened irl to me ever online before the need to balance this thread with other namebrand losses

this is a serious matter of fifty pages by red sea.

can anyone right now show me a ten page thread, since 2001, of oceanic reef tanks splitting?

if the answer is no, recommending red sea is flat dangerous and only reflects owning a lucky production model.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a buyer is being told that owning one isn't very risky as long as he buys 1st round, I asked why that's still a safe bet. you're on block for a reason, I thought just once I'd select view all and see if some insight was present

can you link any pattern at all of oceanic splits, in a reef tank forum thread the last 20 yrs> that would be a relevant, on-topic post from you.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

there is one with a few oceanic splits.

as I read around in the search engines I find only sporadic threads on the matter from oceanic owners, not nearly as grouped as red sea is for the last couple years.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember back when Porsche was in hot water over the IMS bearing failing (blows the engine in the process) on the earlier Boxsters and Caymans…It wasn’t like half failed, but it was enough to scare most people away from Porsche for awhile.

Porsche figured out what the problem was and fixed it. If Red Sea would acknowledge the seam failures and explain the solution, it would go a long ways to gaining back trust. From what I’ve read, Res Sea seems to have improved the design on their newer tanks? I’d definitely steer clear of the earlier models, just like the earlier Boxsters, but might consider the newer ones.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you are buying new, there is nothing to be concerned about. I don't buy used tanks, but that is just me.
Well as I understand it, the "new" ones are all V2 which I would hope have addressed the issue across the entire product line. This one I am getting is 3rd hand but only a few years old. But really, what difference would that make? I could buy one from the original owner and he could have moved it 6 times.

What I was asking about is if anyone can point me in the right direction on specifically what to check for only a RSR170 to see if there are potential issues, or if there are "fixes" from Red Sea for the 170. Maybe it's covered in this thread, maybe it's not...but rn I have to tear down a tank so I don't have time to read it all

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does their facebook page allow you to ask reasonable questions like that, I'd be curious to know here, if they allow any discussion or vetting of the particular tank over there on their facebook site

their willingness to interact whatsoever on the matter, if at all, factors here.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as I understand it, the "new" ones are all V2 which I would hope have addressed the issue across the entire product line. This one I am getting is 3rd hand but only a few years old. But really, what difference would that make? I could buy one from the original owner and he could have moved it 6 times.

What I was asking about is if anyone can point me in the right direction on specifically what to check for only a RSR170 to see if there are potential issues, or if there are "fixes" from Red Sea for the 170. Maybe it's covered in this thread, maybe it's not...but rn I have to tear down a tank so I don't have time to read it all
I have a used reefer170. Up and running for over 4 years now, was well used when I got it. The only thing I dislike about the reefer series is the return nozzle is way to close to the water surface, the 170 splashes saltwater everywhere when you turn pump on. I also have a reefer350, I would not trust a used reefer350.

I think a double bottom plus gussetted seams would probably eliminate the seal failure on all reefer tanks. I know the front glass bows on my reefer350 when filled and would definitely not trust it with a wave maker aimed at front panel.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429

I think you're comparing apples ro oranges.

Although it wouldn't take much to convince me otherwise, the questions that should be relevant are number of 750xxl owners vs oceanic owners. Is the reason why there is 50 pages because there are far more redsea owners? Then you have to consider timing. If oceanic was the hot seller today would we see more complaints?

The marketing engine for product sales is completely different than it was 10+ years ago.

I think this is a numbers thing.. although I don't know if it detracts from the point you're making... I just think your comparison isn't a good choice to drive home your point.

And please correct me if I'm wrong, since the "stand fix" has there still been issues of these splitting on the bottom seam?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all valid points. I guess we need to track the thread longer to see if the stands/shimming was the issue for them.

1674337492204.png

Last edited:

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does their facebook page allow you to ask reasonable questions like that, I'd be curious to know here, if they allow any discussion or vetting of the particular tank over there on their facebook site

their willingness to interact whatsoever on the matter, if at all, factors here.

No, you cannot mention anything about leaking tanks. Any mentioned of tank leaks (including asking for help for a tank that is actively leaking) seems to get shut down, and/or deleted, and/or the person silenced. Red Sea is very strict in that regard.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back