What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, please, what are the circumstances in those 4 cases?
Y do you seem so angry about this post? Just curious. No ones bashing red sea. Just talking about a few tanks that failed. Other manufacturers were named as well. So I'm just curious..

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 of them were for sure seam failures, the one I saw was a bottom back wall seam. I do not really have any pictures the one that I did see I just came to help clean up and brought beer to make him feel better oh yeah and I also brought some home mad Kahlua to get his wife drunk she was sort of freaking out it's a lot of water on the floor. The other 4 I am very good friends with a LFS owner that does a lot of tank maintenance, when I was looking at tanks he told me about these.
I've seen the seam failures as well. Upon receiving my original RS P650 there were some quality issues with the condition of the glass. I worked with RS over 3 months to get a replacement. They sent 3 different replacements , the corners of all 3 tanks on the side with the overflow each tank had seams that were separating. It took them some time to get it corrected and RS made things right by me. In the long run they had to review their quality control and reach out to all vendors with the Peninsula series in stock to check over the tanks or send them back to RS. Right about that same time there were a few post on R2R and other forums about the Peninsula series tanks seams failing. Hopefully I'll never experience a failure. Fingers crossed my, P650 is going on 2 years with no issues.

Last edited:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think with the sheer numbers of tanks sold the amount of failures would be minuscule, still wish the top was one piece ;)
One a side note. High Strength sealers and adhesives degrade quickly, We take specialized precautions to ensure only fresh sealer is used. Its possible one was missed and put into use.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen the seem failures as well. Upon receiving my original RS P650 there were some quality issues with the condition of the glass. I worked with RS over 3 months to get a replacement. They sent 3 different replacements , the corners of all 3 tanks on the side with the overflow each tank had seems that were separating. It took them some time to get it corrected and RS made things right by me. In the long run they had to review their quality control and reach out to all vendors with the Peninsula series in stock to check over the tanks or send them back to RS. Right about that same time there were a few post on R2R and other forums about the Peninsula series tanks seems failing. Hopefully I'll never experience a failure. Fingers crossed my, P650 is going on 2 years with no issues.
I hope you don't ether I have never owned a RS but, just know about some failures so I commented. The biggest failure I have ever had was a 55, and that's a big mess, water hit the ceiling lol. But my friends was a RS 750 and man it makes a big mess, I saw this one. wife crying can sort of laugh about it now. Good luck hope thing go great for you and your tank

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you don't ether I have never owned a RS but, just know about some failures so I commented. The biggest failure I have ever had was a 55, and that's a big mess, water hit the ceiling lol. But my friends was a RS 750 and man it makes a big mess, I saw this one. wife crying can sort of laugh about it now. Good luck hope thing go great for you and your tank
The 3 year warranty on the seams appears to be something new. RS quoted me 1 year on the entire tank. Seams and all.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
3 of them were for sure seam failures, the one I saw was a bottom back wall seam. I do not really have any pictures the one that I did see I just came to help clean up and brought beer to make him feel better oh yeah and I also brought some home mad Kahlua to get his wife drunk she was sort of freaking out it's a lot of water on the floor. The other 4 I am very good friends with a LFS owner that does a lot of tank maintenance, when I was looking at tanks he told me about these.
Home made Kahlua? Details please!!!

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having one of these tanks I would like to know if there is a common issue. I feel that leaving it up to customers to build the stand (which feels minimal strength for the weight) and adjust soo many levelling feet is a huge risk. Personally the quality of my tank looks top notch, and the silicone has not spread but the idea of a pane cracking freaks me out..

The LFS that I bought mine from said they are very solid though, as they dropped one (425 or 525 can’t remember) off a forklift and set it up in there shop as a display system with no issues.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work in the automotive industry and deal with recalls and product failures all the time. Alot time when dealing with the same things and seeing similar failures like a bad solenoid valve, you tend to do a bunch if them. But when you look at the sheer number of vehicles that actually never have the problem it's not a concern for a recall, or product review.

Things happen, but it's still a good thing to know about to keep your eyes on for future references. I think the information is great. Like GI joe says, knowing is half the battle. Lol (I think that was gi Joe. It's been 30 years since I've actually seen it lol. I dont have a red sea anything, my dad really wants one in near future. But wants to make his own canopy bc hes a furniture builder... hopefully being on a more sturdy flat surface would save any glass from cracking.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y do you seem so angry about this post? Just curious. No ones bashing red sea. Just talking about a few tanks that failed. Other manufacturers were named as well. So I'm just curious..

Because he has skin in the game.

I will show you the respect that you haven't shown in kind.
That being said, I can tell you that Red Sea didn't delete anything because I'm an Admin of the group. The posts that were deleted, were actually deleted by the OP himself, which is quite interesting in and of itself.
While I understand your worry, it's important to understand that the circumstances behind this particular incident are still under investigation so I suggest not worrying until you have more information.

Last edited:

ESAYARKAY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because he has skin in the game.
I'd like to clarify that I don't work for Red Sea. I just love the company and their products and it hurts me when people spread false rumors in any circumstance and subject.
I apologize for coming across as angry. I haven't yet mastered the art of adjusting my tone when writing.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's one thing to be passionate about a company and its products, yet it's another to follow blindly. Product loyalty is so deeply ingrained in our everyday lives... Pepsi vs Coke, Ford vs GM. If you take a step back, you'll realize that it's all arbitrary anyway.

The root of it is that owners of RS tanks want to believe that this is an isolated incident so that they can feel good about their initial decision of purchasing their products. Because if the opposite is true then they hold themselves accountable for not doing their due diligence in the decision making process and blame themselves. Who wants to admit they were wrong?

Companies make mistakes, it happens, but it's what they do to remedy the problems that make them worthy of our business.

ESAYARKAY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's one thing to be passionate about a company and its products, yet it's another to follow blindly. Product loyalty is so deeply ingrained in our everyday lives... Pepsi vs Coke, Ford vs GM. If you take a step back, you'll realize that it's all arbitrary anyway.

The root of it is that owners of RS tanks want to believe that this is an isolated incident so that they can feel good about their initial decision of purchasing their products. Because if the opposite is true then they hold themselves accountable for not doing their due diligence in the decision making process and blame themselves. Who wants to admit they were wrong?

Companies make mistakes, it happens, but it's what they do to remedy the problems that make them worthy of our business.
I agree wholeheartedly with you on all your points.
Thank goodness I've never followed anything or anyone blindly or I would have been a clone of other people.
Your last point is another reason why I respect Red Sea, as they take responsibility and are transparent about it if there's a problem with one of their products.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience working at an LFS and as a dry goods support rep for an aquarium eCommerce site I have seen many people fail to realize that there is a very fine line between supporting your product and honoring your warranty.

For example some manufactures adopt the amazon model. It broke, Ok here's another one. We as consumers often like this model, but it shows no interest in solving the problem and it shows very little confidence in the product because it was no surprise the product failed. The vast VAST majority of warranty claims are user error. Some manufactures even told me they estimated 90-95% of returned products were fine and just had a user error.

On the other side of things there are manufactures who are so confident in their product that they just don't believe it failed and are confident that the end user is doing something wrong. When you contact them to ask for a fix they flood you with questions and give you hours of work to do to fix the issue. While this is annoying it does show genuine concern about the quality of the product.

The best approach is somewhere in the middle. Where the manufacture does some amount of reasonable trouble shooting to support their product, and then honors their warranty if needed.

Having delt with Red Sea in the past they have always erred on the side of Warranty support over Product support. They consistently took products back and exchanged them for new ones just on the word of a trusted dealer. For anyone with a Red Sea tank I would not worry about warranty support replacing your tank if there is an issue. What I worry a bit about is product support. How much is RedSea doing to find what the problem is. When at the LFS I saw about 6 catastrophic tank failures and all but 1 were user error. Unlevel tanks, unlevel floor, poor stands, over tightening bulkheads, scraping too close to the silicon, ect.

I completely understand RedSea thinking that the majority of tank failures are user errors and frankly I think they have been transparent to the fact that they are searching for what the problem is so my concerns about poor products support have been alleviated. I only hope that they have transparency in identifying a problem if they find one.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just because a tank fails does not mean it was because of the manufacturer.
The tank may not have been level. Even though we do not hear about it much but aquarium seams have been known to fail due to wave makers or flow devices. Also it may only seem like more are failing because there are more out there.. I remember a friend who repaired VCR and it was well known that about 1/2 the vcr that had tapes stuck in were I think at the time Scotch but then they sold more two or 3 times as many tapes as all other manufacturers combined. So in reality it was less than any other manufacturer percentage wise.

As far as Marineland I heard they finally admitted there was a issue. I am hearing this second hand but I guess they hired someone else to manufacturer their aquariums. Not sure it is true but highly likely. I have not heard of a issue in a while now but there was allot especially the DD and 93 cubes.. But then again maybe we hear less because people stopped buying as many of them because they were afraid because of all the bad reviews..

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt I have the right to comment here as I do not own any Red Sea products.

I guess my concern here is the fact that all companies delete negative information.
In my book that brings up some serious speculation on the integrity and honesty of the company. YMMV.
I don't know that I will buy a Red Sea product, not saying I won't but the fact they are not upfront well that could be a deciding factor.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have to ask too is the facegroup page run by Redsea or is it a group run by others?
I mean there are sometime dozens of pages for certain things..
I know there is a Redsea Company site and another owner group. Not sure the owners group is run actually by Redsea? It may be but may not be. It may not be Redsea deleting these is my point.
Even if it is it may not actually be them deleting the posts it could be a mod.

Honestly I would not put it past a company to do it now adays.

Last edited:

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to ask too is the facegroup page run by Redsea or is it a group run by others?
I mean there are sometime dozens of pages for certain things..
I know there is a Redsea Company site and another owner group. Not sure the owners group is run actually by Redsea? It may be but may not be. It may not be Redsea deleting these is my point.
Even if it is it may not actually be them deleting the posts it could be a mod.

Honestly I would not put it past a company to do it now adays.
BAF86377-981B-43D0-A1FE-9F9409827577.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree wholeheartedly with you on all your points.
Thank goodness I've never followed anything or anyone blindly or I would have been a clone of other people.
Your last point is another reason why I respect Red Sea, as they take responsibility and are transparent about it if there's a problem with one of their products.

I dont agree with his/her points at all. You were posting what you knew about the situation (thanks) - The problem here is that unless one knows how many tanks didnt fail - its impossible to say whether there is an issue. And I have skin in the game. I have 2 large tanks from Redsea. This fear mongering (which is all that it is IMHO) - seems silly. people say 'Buy waterbox' but read the threads about waterbox. Its all kind of silly. Tanks fail. Sometimes its the manufacturer's issue - sometimes its the owners.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back